DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-17-2012, 02:49 AM

Default Ludwig classic maple,drum heads

what drum heads would get me close to steve jordans, jj johnsons,and keith carlocks sound.The drum sizes are 20x14 12x8 14x14 and a 16x16 and a sonor delite snare 14x6.5.Thanks Peace
Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Ludwig classic maple,drum heads

Some of the original Ludwig heads really sucked when I first got the Classic Maple kit. I didn't like the bass drums sound and the 13" rack tom and 16" floor toms sounded atrocious, really lacking body and very dead sounding. As soon as I received my 13" drum, I changed the tom batter heads to Evans G1 coated and put an Evans EQ4 on the bass drum's batter. I actually put the EQ4 batter head on the bass drum a couple of days after I got the kit. I also changed the resonant heads on all the toms to G1 clears. Everything again came together and the kit sounded like a kit and not remnants of different manufacturers left overs, lol.

This was my first head change, but I like to experiment, so in a couple of months I'll try something different. Maybe G2 coated or maybe even Remo Vintage Emperors, who knows. I can't really know what others use unless I personally work with them, but I know what I like and the sound that I'm after. If you have the funds available, I would get two or three different heads for one of your drums and listen to what works best for your ears.

Dennis