DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Default New Ambassador X

Anyone try the Remo Ambassador X coated head yet? If so, please post a review. It looks like Remo has found something here.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Ambassador X

I assume that its Remo's answer to the Evans G-plus (12 mil) which have had positive reviews.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

I saw this a few weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzBo6wJci5g
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

I don't think they're available yet--I did a quick check of major online dealers and my local shop.

I'm definitely going to try them, as I need sustain for playing unmiked, and I've been a regular Remo Ambassador guy for decades.

The Evans G-plus are quite nice--I've been using some as resos--but the only coated version Evans offers is their frosty "coating," which I find awful.

Will be nice to try a thicker head with a traditional coating.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
I don't think they're available yet--I did a quick check of major online dealers and my local shop.

I'm definitely going to try them, as I need sustain for playing unmiked, and I've been a regular Remo Ambassador guy for decades.

The Evans G-plus are quite nice--I've been using some as resos--but the only coated version Evans offers is their frosty "coating," which I find awful.

Will be nice to try a thicker head with a traditional coating.
That's why I'm kind of excited about these. I agree... I'm not a fan of the frosty coating at all. Still feels and sounds like a clear head to me, just.. rough texture.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM

alright, these are now in stock at Interstate Music and MF, so who wants to try them first? These ought to be sweeter sounding than the frosty g plus.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

I'll wait til my local drum shop gets one or two in and then maybe try.

I've been using Vintage A Ambassadors in the meantime... ever, ever so slightly thicker than regular Ambassador (b/c of the 2-ply) but gives me better feel.

Maybe these new Amb-X are the ticket!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 AM

We've got them at my drum store I work at.

They're equivalent to a G-Plus. Just a tad bit thicker than industry standard Ambassador (G1 for Evans) Haven't heard it on a drum yet. But I go to work in about 9 hours so I'll see if I can get my hands on one!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM

let me know how they sound. i've been looking for them from my store rez drums in florida and they haven't gotten any yet. so i am forced to play coated ambassadors on the racks and coated emperor on my floors. great sound as usual from remo, but i want to check out their new stock, you know. let me know how they sound. trust!!! keep drummin'..
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Yes, very interested here as well. I like the sound of a coated ambassador, but the durability is an issue. I also like a coated emp or G2 on my snare (a supra 402), but sometimes I get the dreaded "dead" head and it sounds like crap because the plies aren't meshed together properly and the sound lacks tone and resonance. A thicker ambassador like the "X" may be the ticket. Looking forward to hearing reviews, and I'm hoping to get one this weekend. I'll post a review if my store has them in stock.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
Yes, very interested here as well. I like the sound of a coated ambassador, but the durability is an issue. I also like a coated emp or G2 on my snare (a supra 402), but sometimes I get the dreaded "dead" head and it sounds like crap because the plies aren't meshed together properly and the sound lacks tone and resonance. A thicker ambassador like the "X" may be the ticket. Looking forward to hearing reviews, and I'm hoping to get one this weekend. I'll post a review if my store has them in stock.
Well, for snare you can try a Powerstroke X, which is a single ply 14 mil head with a muffling ring. You can easily remove the muffling ring if you don't like it. These heads are fatter sounding than the ambassadors, yet they still have the attack and response of a single ply head. Plus, they're very durable and the coating sticks to them really well. This is the only single ply head I've used on snare that I haven't pitted up. The one with the dot is a little fatter sounding, and the no dot one sounds closer to an ambassador.

As far as the Ambassador X, I think the major online stores get the stock first. It may take awhile for the local stores to get these except for maybe GC.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Here's the first review of the ambassador X I've seen. Check it out:

IT'S ABOUT TIME! Posted by JAGGED from EAST COAST on Feb 27, 2010
Experience w/product: I own it
Reviewer's Background: PROFESSIONAL DRUMMER
Reviewer's Play Style: ALL

EXCELLENT HEADS! Playing in a cover band for 3 hours a night, set after set, night after night can wreak absolute HAVOC on your drumheads, particularly your snare head. What Remo has done here is create a drumhead that allows all the same sensitivity of it's 10mil counter part with the added durability of the 12mil film. The sound is slightly drier than your 10mil with the focus you would expect from a two ply Emperor. That is not to say these heads do not "ring out" like the standard ambassador because due to the added thickness, the impact from stick to head -to air pushing down to the bottom head- to rebound back to top travels travels at the same distance but enhances the decay. The physics behind it can be simply described as a "thicker" ONE ply head will reverberate LONGER than a "thinner" ONE ply head as the added mass takes longer to stop vibrating. Many people (myself included) believed applying a Diplomat on the underside of my toms would create longer decay than an Ambassador but the exact OPPOSITE is actually true. Enter an Ambassador 12mil head and you have even MORE shell presence in your sound. IMO, there is no head like your standard coated Ambassador for a snare drum be it in the studio, live, your ear...whatever. These heads have me wondering if my beliefs still apply. The added "shell" focus was always the reason I would go for an Emperor in the studio (if ever) but this new head has an almost identical feel to the original Ambassadors....maybe better. Look at it this way....you have a thin and a thinner piece of rubber pad to work your chops on......both are one solid piece and both provide rebound. BUT, the "thicker" of the two will have slightly less "give" and more "kick back" to your wrist....a real commodity when executing fast doubles on your snare drum. Singles, doubles, paradiddles....all feel amazing and these heads are great. I semi-seated the 12" for my Kodiak figuring I would have to tune it again today....WRONG....stayed in perfectly. Just put the 14" on my other Kodiak without seating it and same thing..........these heads seem to lock onto the edge better than the 10mil. More shell, less head, same sensitivity, better rebound (singles are effortless even cranked tight)- these heads are very impressive.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM

As a matter of fact, I just bought one today and then saw this post. I'll try it out tonight and let you all know!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Clint, sounds good. Mine is on the way from MF.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM

cdrums21 described it well.
Tried it last night and I have to say this is an AWESOME head! I have been experimenting with different heads on my snare for awhile because I have never really liked the sound of my snare (yes, I know there could be a lot of reasons for this but...). This head is "the one"! It has the dry sound that I have been looking for. For some reason it seemed easier to tune as well (could just be me).
My search for the perfect snare head is now over!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
cdrums21 described it well.
Tried it last night and I have to say this is an AWESOME head! I have been experimenting with different heads on my snare for awhile because I have never really liked the sound of my snare (yes, I know there could be a lot of reasons for this but...). This head is "the one"! It has the dry sound that I have been looking for. For some reason it seemed easier to tune as well (could just be me).
My search for the perfect snare head is now over!
I also want to know how the durability is. I can really pit up regular Ambassadors, so I'm really needing that durability aspect. I really wanna hear these on toms, too. Anyone tried these on toms yet?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
I also want to know how the durability is. I can really pit up regular Ambassadors, so I'm really needing that durability aspect. I really wanna hear these on toms, too. Anyone tried these on toms yet?
Rather than take an internet stranger's word on how something sounds, when I want to try out a new type of head I'll get one for just one tom--say, a 12"--and try it out. You get a pretty good idea of what a full kit of them will sound like without spending a fortune.

And at the risk of opening up a can of worms, denting heads can most often be attributed to the use of ball-tip sticks, toms at an angle that's too severe, or technique. My kid uses a coated amb on his snare, playing loud rock unmiked with 747B oak sticks, and never dents a head. He is an extremely hard hitter.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Rather than take an internet stranger's word on how something sounds, when I want to try out a new type of head I'll get one for just one tom--say, a 12"--and try it out. You get a pretty good idea of what a full kit of them will sound like without spending a fortune.

And at the risk of opening up a can of worms, denting heads can most often be attributed to the use of ball-tip sticks, toms at an angle that's too severe, or technique. My kid uses a coated amb on his snare, playing loud rock unmiked with 747B oak sticks, and never dents a head. He is an extremely hard hitter.
Nah, no ball tips here, just the typical 2b tips, and crap technique. I dunno if it's because I'm a big s.o.b. or not, but when I hit something hard I dent or break it. A friend of mine hits really hard, uses ambassadors on snares, yet he doesn't dent or break heads either. I'm working on my technique right now, because I'm tired of denting heads. My technique is good on my own, but when I get with a loud band it goes out the window. I tend to dent tom heads more, I guess because of the looser tension, but I also like the articulation and attack of single ply heads. So, these ought to be just the ticket if I can get my technique under control.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

I received my ambassador x heads the other day and I'm waiting until I get through the current head I'm using before I put the ambassador x on. It won't be long, I switch out snare heads every 4 to 5 shows. One thing though, right out of the box they had a very nice tight resonance to them when tapped and seemed very sturdy in construction, better that the normal ambassador or a double ply head. I can't wait to hear it on my edge snare drum as I've read that single ply heads work well on them. Durability and sound will be the tell tale factors for me. To be continued.....
Old 03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

OK, I can't wait any longer....I just changed my coated G2 on the batter side of my new 7x14 edge and threw on the ambassador X for tonight's show. It's stretching out now, so I'll leave it alone for a few hours then tune it up and play it tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts (for what it's worth) tomorrow. This will be the first gig I play with the edge and the ambassador X, so it should be interesting. The room we're playing has a good sound for drums, so I'm hoping that the snare drum sounds great, that'll make my night. So far, just from tuning up the G2 on the edge here at home, it sounded good but the double ply head may have been just a bit to "dull" sounding on the edge. I'm hoping that the ambassador X brightens it up a bit as well as opens it up, and lastly, lasts at least 4 or 5 shows. If all these things are accomplished, I'm sold. Until tomorrow.....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Well...last night was a real bummer for me. I had a brand new edge snare drum with a brand new ambassador X drum head for a cool gig in a great sounding room. Both the drum and the head let me down. Since this is an ambassador x thread, I'll just comment on it. The head was OK at best. At the end of the night I had a quarter sized spot on the head where the coating came off. I use 5b wood tip sticks and am a relatively hard hitter. The drum head sounded OK but I don't expect it to last any longer than a regular ambassador...maybe one more show for me. If you are a user of regular ambassador heads, you'll probably like it. It sounded similar....was a little more focused and tuned up nicely. If you're looking for the holy grail of heads that completely bridges the gap between single and double ply as far as sound and durability, keep looking. Just my opionion for what it's worth.......
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Hey, I put one on my Ludwig 402 and have been playing it in my studio. So far I'm happy with it. I will use it on my next gig and see from there. It was also time for some new heads for my Oak Customs. I currently have Remo clear Emperors so I am taking the chance and I am going to try Ambassador X on the 10,12,14,&16" drums as well. I never heard this kit with any type of coated heads before. Should be interesting. I hope I am happy? If not I can try the X's on my 1971 Slingerland's or my Absolutes.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Hey, I put one on my Ludwig 402 and have been playing it in my studio. So far I'm happy with it. I will use it on my next gig and see from there. It was also time for some new heads for my Oak Customs. I currently have Remo clear Emperors so I am taking the chance and I am going to try Ambassador X on the 10,12,14,&16" drums as well. I never heard this kit with any type of coated heads before. Should be interesting. I hope I am happy? If not I can try the X's on my 1971 Slingerland's or my Absolutes.
Hey Pete!
Good luck with the heads, I think they'll sound fine on your drums. They will sound good on a supra, those type of heads sound great on those drums. I was mostly dissappointed in the coating. I use Evans coated G2's on my supra and the coating never has worn off before I changed out the head. Not that big of a deal I guess, but it just bugs me.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Clint, how are you liking the DW's? Are you finding it challenging after playing the Yami's for so long? Meaning finding the sweet spots on the DW's. Did you find you needed to make adjustments with the way you tune your drums.

I don't know what it is about those Ludwig 402 snares, they just seem to work in all situations, at least for the music I'm playing. Have you tried putting the Ambassador X on that drum? Just curious.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Clint, how are you liking the DW's? Are you finding it challenging after playing the Yami's for so long? Meaning finding the sweet spots on the DW's. Did you find you needed to make adjustments with the way you tune your drums.

I don't know what it is about those Ludwig 402 snares, they just seem to work in all situations, at least for the music I'm playing. Have you tried putting the Ambassador X on that drum? Just curious.
Hey Pete,
No challenge at all with the DW's. I'm loving them. Very easy to tune, basically the same tuning range as my yammies and they just sound huge and sweet. I have a "VLT" 12x9 tom, and an "X" shell 16x14 floor tom and 22xs18 bass drum. Thunderous and mike up so nicely. I couldn't be happier with them. Yeah man, Ludwig metal snares rule! The 402 and black beauties just rock no matter what. Great drums. I haven't tried the Ambassador X on that yet, but I probably will here shortly. I think it will sound good, it would be nice if the coating stayed on for a while and it lasted :o)
Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Gold Member

Hey Clint,

My new Ambassador X heads arrived today from MF. I just spent the last 2.5 hrs messing around with them. I never used coated heads on my Oak Customs yet so it's a bit challenging for me at this point. But so far (still have some fine tuning to do) I am happy with the sound. Naturally drier sounding but a nice resonance. The floor toms seem to like a bit higher tuning E top & bottom of 14" and D T&B of 16" Again I still need to play them live and see how they perform. They also feel reel good hitting them.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Hey Clint,

My new Ambassador X heads arrived today from MF. I just spent the last 2.5 hrs messing around with them. I never used coated heads on my Oak Customs yet so it's a bit challenging for me at this point. But so far (still have some fine tuning to do) I am happy with the sound. Naturally drier sounding but a nice resonance. The floor toms seem to like a bit higher tuning E top & bottom of 14" and D T&B of 16" Again I still need to play them live and see how they perform. They also feel reel good hitting them.
So how's the attack compared to a clear head or 2 ply? How hard do you hit, because I'm curious about the durability, too?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

Too early to tell, tonight I plan on playing them for a bit. Last night I was mostly tuning them. I hit pretty hard depending on my gig, I would say a bit above average if that helps.

Compared to the clear emperors it's a different feel but not in a bad way. I need to get a couple of gigs under my belt, but so far I'm pleased.

Tha attack is not as bright but being a thinner head it resonates more with a bit warmer tone. I have both heads tuned to the same pitch on all the toms. At least right now, I may bring the reso heads up a bit on the 14" and 16" floor toms.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Pioneer Member

I'd bought a couple of the new Ambassador X heads a few weeks ago and finally got around to mounting one. It went on a 5 X 14 DW brass snare.

I like open sounding snares and use Ambassador batters a lot. The head feels and sounds pretty much like an Ambasador. Maybe a shade darker tone and slightly less sustain. The head sounds great, and tuned up fast.

If you like Ambassadors you'll probably like this head too.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

Why don't they make these in 18"? Same with Vintage Ambassadors... no 18". Anybody know why or how to get one?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

I tried them... not a fan.
It was Okay on the snare, but on the toms it just sounded like it was choking the drum. They are just too thick to be a one ply head.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM

alright, I just got a set of these and put them on my keller 6 ply toms (10,12,16-very thin shells), and I love them so far. They seem to sound exactly between a coated ambassador, and emperor. They have the attack and sensitivity of an ambassador, and the more controlled resonance of a coated emperor. They don't have the explosive resonance of the thinner ply heads, but the tone is more even as a result. I've had coated ambassadors on these drums before, and they could be a little papery and ringy, but these really focus the sound like a 2 ply head would, yet you don't have to hit them as hard to get the tone like you would a coated 2 ply.

The only thing that concerns me is the durability. I haven't played these with my band yet, and the real test will be live where I tend to play a bit harder. I am trying to lighten up on the power drumming, but I can't seem to do it with the 2 ply heads on the toms, because they're just not sensitive enough, so hopefully with these I'll be able to achieve that goal.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Anybody know if they have a clear version to this, or if they are planning on releasing any?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using them on a Classic Maple kit I just picked up on eBay and I really, really like them. I've always liked Coated Ambassadors but this is a fatter sounding head, and has a better feel. They have a bit more punch than the coated ambs, too, I think.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

I have a birch kit and am running trusted coated emperors on the batter and clear ambassadors on the reso and am looking to change it up a bit. With a birch kit any suggestions on the batter?
These coated ambassadors X, stick with what I'm used to (coated emperor) or go clear emperor????
Decisions decisions......
Thanks guys, and girls...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
I have a birch kit and am running trusted coated emperors on the batter and clear ambassadors on the reso and am looking to change it up a bit. With a birch kit any suggestions on the batter?
These coated ambassadors X, stick with what I'm used to (coated emperor) or go clear emperor????
Decisions decisions......
Thanks guys, and girls...
The Ambassador X is a lot different than Emperor. The thicker 1 ply actually has more sustain than regular Ambassador which also means more ring. I would suggest a PS3 as a nice bridge between 1ply and 2ply.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
The Ambassador X is a lot different than Emperor. The thicker 1 ply actually has more sustain than regular Ambassador which also means more ring. I would suggest a PS3 as a nice bridge between 1ply and 2ply.
Yes to that extra ring. I put one on my Yamaha BCA 6.5X14 snare and it's ringier than the regular Ambassador. 20% more ringy - I dunno but it's not a pleasant tone. I like some ring but this head is giving off, no matter how I tune/tension, a weird tone - subtle yes - but annoying all the same.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Now that it has been a while since the initial posts, how are people feeling about them?

I've always been a clear emperor guy on my toms, but I prefer ambassadors in the studio for the extra attack. However, ambassadors just don't last, while emperors keep going and going.

Now that I have a home recording set up, I will be doing a bunch of recording, but rather than a typical go into the studio and knock out a whole bunch of songs at once, I'll be recording here and there over a period of time with rehearsals in between.

So in theory, I am thinking the ambassador X would give me the attack I want, but will hold up longer.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 AM

Try the smooth white ambassadors and while we're at it, the emps too. Best kept secret by Remo.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

I wonder why they don't off Ambassador X in clear?