DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default 2 questions about New York City - drinking age and whats on!

I might be planning for a trip to NYC at the end of this year, but before I commit to going I want to know about rules concerning getting into pubs/venues. I know the legal drinking age is 21 (which I'm assuming is the minimum age for getting into lisenced venues) but I heard that some states may allow foreigners into venues if they show their passport - does anyone know any details about this, or know where I could find the info?

And the main reason I posted here - since I may be in NEW YORK!! - where should I go? Who will I be able to see? If I could see someone like Jojo Mayer play, I would be so happy. Also, what are some cool things to do or check out in New York that may not be obvious to a tourist? I would want to do some American-only things, check out an nfl or baseball game, etc.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 2 questions about New York City - drinking age and whats on!

There are a lot of places in NYC, and other places in the United States that will let you into their venue if you're 18, (or sometimes younger), but you won't be allowed to drink.

The Bitter End is like that. I saw Oz Noy there, but I didn't think I'd be able to because of my age.

Other places just won't let you through the doors. My cousin and I went to see Teddy Krumpel with Shawn Pelton and Mark Guiliana at Rockwood Music Hall and the bouncer wouldn't let us in. We still got to watch/listen from outside, but as you can imagine, that's wasn't much fun in the New York September..

I would check out the website of specific clubs/venues/restaurants before planning the trip.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uesto View Post
There are a lot of places in NYC, and other places in the United States that will let you into their venue if you're 18, (or sometimes younger), but you won't be allowed to drink.

The Bitter End is like that. I saw Oz Noy there, but I didn't think I'd be able to because of my age.

Other places just won't let you through the doors. My cousin and I went to see Teddy Krumpel with Shawn Pelton and Mark Guiliana at Rockwood Music Hall and the bouncer wouldn't let us in. We still got to watch/listen from outside, but as you can imagine, that's wasn't much fun in the New York September..

I would check out the website of specific clubs/venues/restaurants before planning the trip.
Oh right, so its not like, a law that applies to clubs in an entire state? Cool, cheers.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

There probably is a law concerning this. I'd imagine it breaks down what constitutes a bar,?restaurant, club, music venue, etc. and what ages are allowed at what time of day and possible if you could go with someone over the required age.