DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Chad Smith

I expect this thread to have all kinds of reactions, because i heard lots of opinions about Chad Smith.

Chad Smith: imo one of the biggest groovers of all times, not to talk about his unbeliveble feel and sound.
His technique is not really it, and he's not a drummer that stands for all the requests, but i think that his unique groove and feel really overcomes it.

So go ahead, give it all up

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chad_Smith.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-12-2005 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

I love chad smith's style, I would think twice about arguing his technic, just listen One Hot Minute.......it's sick.
I think he's the drummer who has the strongest groove among all the "Funkpunkrock" emergence in the early 90's. For sure it doesn't sound so demonstrative technicaly on certain album (specially the last one that I really disappriciate), but to play it so powerfully I'm sure he's got an a**kicking one. His technical discretion on studio albums reminds me a bit Ian Paice who then in live was a real monster. I believe it's the same with Chad.
I personnaly love his style and sound much more than Brain Mantia, Mike Bordin or Brad Wilk................................but not Tim Alexander hehee (he remains my personal ultimate master).
Anyway try his Pearl signature snare, it's cheap, cutting and loud.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Pioneer Member

i think hes a bit over-rated, but hes got some tight grooves, but nothing real special.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:28 PM
lars ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
i think hes a bit over-rated, but hes got some tight grooves, but nothing real special.
True...he is no super hero in my book
Old 07-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Chad Smith is a beast. I think he is great drummer. He has an excellent sense of time and pocket. He also hits extremely hard. He bridges the gap quite well between rock and funk. Now I dislike the RHCP's direction in music in the last few years. Their music lacks the balls it once had. The newer music is terribly overproduced. All that aside I think Chad Smith deserves credit, the guy can play.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
Now I dislike the RHCP's direction in music in the last few years. Their music lacks the balls it once had. The newer music is terribly overproduced. All that aside I think Chad Smith deserves credit, the guy can play.
Even though Red Hot is my fav band, i couldnt agree more.
their new meterial is REALLY over produced and is really on the wrong track. Their older stuff is y i love them so much.
even though that imo, Chad is still a real monster in the newer stuff, he becomes above all the thing he were, a real clean drummer. something that was defenetly missing in the old days.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Pioneer Member

like him because he plays for the song and not for tell us how much he studied
Not the best drummer of all times but great grooves for RHCP!

T
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Senior Administrator

i agree with whoo. the man may not be the fastest. he may not be an academic in the drumming world but he never fails album after album to be a great grooving funk drummer. my opinion: i would rather have his track record than for example terry bozzio. more people know and like chad than terry in the big wide world.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 07-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Pioneer Member

He's always been one of my top drummers in my book, he has so much feel it's amazing.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i agree with whoo. the man may not be the fastest. he may not be an academic in the drumming world but he never fails album after album to be a great grooving funk drummer. my opinion: i would rather have his track record than for example terry bozzio. more people know and like chad than terry in the big wide world.

j
and if u think music should be a mean to comunicate chad comunicates ...

T
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 AM

I love him. His style at first comes off as so plain, but there are just thousands of nit picky things that launch him above the rest to give him really his own distinct style.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 PM

He's a good drummer at the end of the day, better even than me. But I personally dislike
his style and how it gells with the chili's. Cliff Martinez should still be playing drums for
the chilis today, he and flea had a real funky, tight rhythm section going on.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Pioneer Member

i think you guys need to see his instructional video.
this guy is one of my biggest influences, i played in a cover band for many years, and we did a LOT of rhcp. in the process, learning all his parts and all that, his playing really influenced mine.
really, many of the grooves in some of rhcp's tune are LANDMARK grooves, and literally shaped the drumming of younger bands trying to follow in rhcp's footsteps in the 90's.
he has that deep pocket and plays so hard and solid, in my opinion, thats the way you should be playing in a rock band. he literally brought the 'groove' back to rock music in the 90's....

and i don't get why people say new rhcp stuff is over-produced, infact, its a lot more under-produced than a lot of their older stuff..... most of the time its just one guitar track, bass, drums and vocals.... ????
they're just simple pop rock tunes, they've taken a new direction, and i honestly think a lot of the new stuff is very cool. and i'm not just a blind fan, i really enjoy a lot of the stuff on californication and by the way.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Pioneer Member

I confess I am mystified about the criticism of Chad Smith. I suspect it comes from people having favorite drummers and then assuming that the favorite is "better" than everyone else. It takes all kinds and styles of playing to encompass the whole of the instrument. I really don't believe that "better" is useful term once you get to a professional standard.

Chad Smith is a terrific player. He is tight, funky, solid, musical and plays in a very deep pocket. His playing accompanies and benefits the music and that is what it is supposed to do. That is our job - we are accompanists.

Just my thoughts

Paul
Old 07-15-2005, 05:56 PM
onggie

I love Chad Smith! Awesome drummer, his been a great inspiration to me. He has a great feel for the beat!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:36 AM

I like Chad Smith. Flea and him are a perfect bass-drummer pair. He knows how to flow thru the song.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 AM

Defiantly gotta give Chad Smith Props. Like no one will ever write a top ten drummers of all time list with his name on it. But if one can hold his own agaist Flea and Chris Ferchiantie and come out not looking like a fool then respect must be given.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Freeloader
i think you guys need to see his instructional video.
this guy is one of my biggest influences, i played in a cover band for many years, and we did a LOT of rhcp. in the process, learning all his parts and all that, his playing really influenced mine.
really, many of the grooves in some of rhcp's tune are LANDMARK grooves, and literally shaped the drumming of younger bands trying to follow in rhcp's footsteps in the 90's.
he has that deep pocket and plays so hard and solid, in my opinion, thats the way you should be playing in a rock band. he literally brought the 'groove' back to rock music in the 90's....

and i don't get why people say new rhcp stuff is over-produced, infact, its a lot more under-produced than a lot of their older stuff..... most of the time its just one guitar track, bass, drums and vocals.... ????
they're just simple pop rock tunes, they've taken a new direction, and i honestly think a lot of the new stuff is very cool. and i'm not just a blind fan, i really enjoy a lot of the stuff on californication and by the way.
U own man...U just neiled it
Old 07-24-2005, 05:06 PM

I do like chad, because of his feelings for the drums.
Ok he is not a metall drummer with a lot of technique but he can sure do his thing on the drums. Also the drums that he uses are well picked.(listen to the snare of Live at slane castle.)
Chad is one of my standards with a lot others(john blackwell etc..)
I don't get all of the frustration over the fact that the late RHCP music is different, i mean i think by the way was a great album not corny like most of the bads are today.

See ya,
Old 07-27-2005, 06:13 PM

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

RE: This is the same guy that said Charlie Watts isn't overrated, that he's an AWSOME DRUMMER and that KEEPING TIME IS REALLY HARD. Chad smith is one of the premier funk drummers ever. You have got to be like 70 years old 'Bonham to the moon'.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm a big fan of chad smith. He's got some kick ass licks and fills. Perfect for RHCP
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Consultant

Last time I saw RHCP lived I liked Chad very much. He grooves very well with Flea. His technique is not extraordinary, but he is still an essential drummer to learn from.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM

He's my favourite drummer of all time. HE inspired me to play drums, and he's got what a great drummer needs, including solidness of playing, speed, technique, showmanship and he creates one of the best rhythm sections in the world with flea.

chad doesn't sound that amazing on cds (especially by the way and californication), but his ability to improvise and sound amazing live is inspirational.
have any of you heard him play with glenn hughes? he's awesome!

personally i enjoy funky grooves more than technical solos of the likes of terry bozzio.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Stephan

I think Chad is amazing, his groove is rock-solid, he has a really deep pocket and the guy plays so musically. He's my biggest inspiration as well. I grew up on RHCP, and I learned to play the drums along to Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

He's is no technical master, but do not underestimate his skills, his single stroke roll is super fast. He's got a wicked right foot technique too.

Next to that, he's such a nice guy. Even with his high profile, he maintains a down-to-earth image and personality ... I've met him on a few occasions, and he will sign every autograph until every fan is satisfied, even if it takes him 2 or more hours.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I like Chad Smith. Flea and him are a perfect bass-drummer pair. He knows how to flow thru the song.

That is true. With a bassist as good as Flea you need a great drummer. My band plays Soul To Squeeze. In order to properly learn the drums to that song I learned how to play the bassline. It was probably not absolutly necsissary but it helps me stay tight with the bass. I thougt I did pretty good for being stricktly a drummer. I did help. That is the most important thing. The drummer is a time keeper and needs to stay tight with the bassist. Chad Smith is better at that than most drummers of his unique genre.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Chad is both a great drummer and performer. He knows how to work the crowd and make his drumming seem interesting even on the most simplistic grooves. Chad can groove like very few rock drummers can (with help with Flea's awesome bass), and has some interesting fills.

He is a cool drummer, and he can get people moving. He works very well in the Red Hot Chili Peppers and is exciting to watch on stage.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 PM

Chad Smith is one of the coolest funk drummmers to listen too. i "can't stop" listinen to him =)
Old 08-20-2005, 08:33 PM

i love chad..... he was the reason i decided to play tht and the fact tht i love the chili peppers!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan
I grew up on RHCP, and I learned to play the drums along to Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
YES!!! I played to that album aswell, It improved my playing exponentially.
That is a beautiful album, not a bad song on it!
Chad's drumming is so tight, has so much feel!

Watch the Blood Sugar Sex Magic DVD and he says "I like to lay down the groove, so that the other guys can paint on top of it."

Awesome drummer in his own right! No one can argue with that.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:50 AM
ChrisD

Chad is awesome.I used to think he wasn't the greatest then I bought a few of their albums and I must say that Blood Sugar Sex Magix has incredible drumming on it!! Just the sound of the drums and how he keeps things so simple and in the pcoket....and the ghost note placements are terrific!! One more thing I love about that album is how almost every song as one killer fill in it that I have to rewind back to on my cd player just to hear again.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Elemental Nausea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Drums
Chad is still a real monster in the newer stuff, he becomes above all the thing he were, a real clean drummer. something that was defenetly missing in the old days.
the by the way album is really terribly boring in drumming aspects, a drum machine could have done that as well...why do you say this cleanness was missing in the old days? he has always been tight and professional and clean but in the old days it was more creative and groovy
Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 AM

i like chad because, he is tight, his grooves are funky, tasteful fills, fun to watch, simple and always plays for the music.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:23 AM

This Guy lays down the grooves perfectly his rock is also really good. Mixing Funk with Rock can be a challenge But Chad pulls it off no problem. He is always fun to watch fun to play along to plays great solo's has a lot of energy. He's one of my favorites he's an all out Excellent drummer. He's a monster behind the kit
Old 09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Senior Administrator

get his DVD it is hilarious. he is such a skater dude. but then he sits down and the power is all there.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 PM

i saw the movie wit dennis chambers, garibaldi, mike clark, and chad smith on it
by the time it got to chad smith it wus jsut like what r u doing why am i watching this

chads cool but not my fav
Old 09-04-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrumthing86
i saw the movie wit dennis chambers, garibaldi, mike clark, and chad smith on it
by the time it got to chad smith it wus jsut like what r u doing why am i watching this

what movie was it? i'd love to see it considering it has the world's most renowned drummers on it.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 PM
ZeppelinJB

Ive never heard of chad SMith in my life. Who is he? Whos he play for?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:28 PM
chadolen

Chad Smith is the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. In my opinion, a great funk drummer. He has lots of space to play with but doesn't overdue it. He keeps it interesting but sometimes simple, building a solid foundation for the songs.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:11 PM

Default chad smith

chad smith is a power house! he is one of the most stylish drummers out there. And he is talented. Ive heard of his drum tech throwing sticks at him and him catching them in his left hand playing a stroke then trowing it out behind him. Then catching the next one thrown at him only to repet the cycle.
JUST FOR FUN! .................................................. .................. WOW.

anyone else.........
Old 10-23-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrumthing86

??? which movie are you talking about ?? why are you comparing drummers with totally different acumen ?? Please give credit to people where it is due ..... when 90% of the posts in this thread say that he is good and inspiring it really means something ain't it ??

Chad smith plays for the music .... he has got some neat ideas ...... his grooves are so tight and appropriate that it seems easy and its hard to come up with some better alternative for that particular song ........ I think this is the most precious quality that a musician can possess ...