DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Default Yamaha DTX750K or Roland TD12KX

I want to get either one of these kits for my flat... though not sure which one.

I've played both in the shop and think both are great in terms of how they sound. The roland pads are ridiculously bouncy though, kind of feels like playing a trampoline... though I hear the Yamaha pads aren't quite as sensitive. E.g. if you hit a pad really softly it wont register at all...

Anyone had more indepth experience with both and can give me a little more insight? I would be using it for both practice and recording.

The only issue I've had with electronic kits is that snare or tom rolls generally sound incredibly robotic.. almost like a machine gun.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Yamaha DTX750K or Roland TD12KX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstevens280 View Post
I want to get either one of these kits for my flat... though not sure which one.

I've played both in the shop and think both are great in terms of how they sound. The roland pads are ridiculously bouncy though, kind of feels like playing a trampoline... though I hear the Yamaha pads aren't quite as sensitive. E.g. if you hit a pad really softly it wont register at all...

Anyone had more indepth experience with both and can give me a little more insight? I would be using it for both practice and recording.

The only issue I've had with electronic kits is that snare or tom rolls generally sound incredibly robotic.. almost like a machine gun.
That's the one knock that mesh head pads have...too bouncy..I can't speak personally long term about the new TCS pads, as I don't own them; however, I do have some playing time on the TCS snare pad, and didn't note any problems with sensitivity (i.e., was more than sensitive enough for realistic ghost notes)...regarding machine gunning effect...all current electronic kits have it to some degree..this is primarily because the sampling or sound modeling files aren't large enough to accomodate multiple different sounds (round robin - where no two sounds will be repeated in a sequence)...you can reduce this effect (machine gunning) through editing of sounds and also editing trigger settings, but nonetheless it will still be there to some degree (although not nearly as bad as stock)...the only way to completely eliminate it is to use VST sound libraries (e.g., BFD, Superior Drummer, OWD, etc..)...these libraries are quite large in size and utilize multiple layer/stacked sounds per each drum..one drum kit can be GB's in file size, whereas the normal module e-kit at best may be 100-300 MB's in size (for all kits)...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM

You can loosen the Roland mesh heads by the same way you would usually tune down an acoustic drum head. It lets you create a more realistic response. I have mine tuned as low as possible without it affecting the function of the drum.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Cheers for the replies

I'll probably use my computer every now and again to make use of VST kits anyway

But has anyone got any responses to which one I should get?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
But has anyone got any responses to which one I should get?
Honestly that's a choice you have to make…I would not want to make it for you…my preference would be the yamaha (my take on it)..it has some features that the roland doesn't offer (3 zones all/most pads, sampling, usb, etc.. and it's a newer technology [i.e., the td-12 is now almost 8 yrs. old with a refresh a couple of years ago)…however, that's a choice you ultimately have to make…if you can get some play time on each, that's what I would recommend…also another thing to consider is that NAMM is this month and I'm sure there will be some new offerings...good luck which ever way you go…both kits are nice..

Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-13-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 AM

Well, I managed to grab an ex-demo TD12KX at roughly 1000 off the list price (so about 2,100 overall) ... plus they threw in some sticks, kick pedal, HH stand, a stool and some headphones, so can't complain really!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 AM

I like the TD12 very much, plus I have added the SPD-sx recently & they integrate really well.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

I tried both of those but ended up with the 2box. Definitely look into the 2box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I managed to grab an ex-demo TD12KX at roughly 1000 off the list price (so about 2,100 overall) ... plus they threw in some sticks, kick pedal, HH stand, a stool and some headphones, so can't complain really!
Enjoy the Roland hot spots with your VST software. That is why I sold my TD20 setup and went to the Yamaha 950. The Yamaha TCS pads are so much better than the mesh.