DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Floor Tom Cradle Mount Worth It?

I'm thinking about getting a cradle mount for my floor tom for the better sound. However, I like rigidity of the bracket on the shell, because it makes positioning so much easier. So the cradle mounts would be annoying. I already have the air shock Pearl legs, so thats cool. I'm just wondering if the sound enhancement is enough to give up on the brackets when I already have the shock absorbing legs... I already think my tom sounds awesome, but if I can get more shell resonance I'm game, I just don't know if it enough of a gain to loose the ease of movement, and the money of course.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Floor Tom Cradle Mount Worth It?

I don't think it is worth the money. Once you install the cradle you will either still have the brackets attached or you will have holes in your shell. I have never had a problem in getting way too much sustain without a cradle so I would leave it alone. You said it sounds awesome already so why try to fix it?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I had the cradle with the legs on a 16" floor tom and it is more hassle than anything else. For one, now you're drum is about two inches larger to get inside a case. Another thing, it'll add another five pounds to the drum. That's what we're talking about, right?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

I had someone tell me they LOST resonance with that cradle mounting. They put the legs back on. I also had another friend tell me what a PITA the things were.

Is your drum just not resonant now, even with the suspension feet?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

I would think that a floor tome would resonate better on 3 suspension/air feet than in 8 rubber connectors all the way around. I have the pearl feet and they're great.
billbachman.net
Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

If its a floortom already. Go for the gibraltar suspension feet. They are far cheaper then the pearls and work great.

If its a suspended tom, go for the cradle.

I had one from Purecussion (the elder Gauger) set woth legs included and worked lovely. The new models are even lighter.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
I'm thinking about getting a cradle mount for my floor tom for the better sound. However, I like rigidity of the bracket on the shell, because it makes positioning so much easier. So the cradle mounts would be annoying. I already have the air shock Pearl legs, so thats cool. I'm just wondering if the sound enhancement is enough to give up on the brackets when I already have the shock absorbing legs... I already think my tom sounds awesome, but if I can get more shell resonance I'm game, I just don't know if it enough of a gain to loose the ease of movement, and the money of course.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
It will make the drum sound better and vibrate less. Now a few drum companies already have the nice shock absorbing floor tom legs like Pearl as you already know and have,. but is the money you will have to spend woth it?? depends really, if you have a old set of bent legs with worn rubber mounts or worse, none!, than yal it's worth it. Or you could just spend a little money and buy new rubber mounts. A few things to think about is if you gig with the drums it will start to be a hassle when trying to pack and unpack the floor tom. Will you remove the already existing floor tom leg brackets?? just a few things to think about. All in all I love the look of the cradle, great for a studio or a "never leave the home" kit. Also a great conversation piece when showing off your drums, but the Pearl legs you have now are great and I wouldn't change a thing.

Cheers,

Last edited by Scott2011; 08-10-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Hey guys, rather than make a new thread I thought I'd revive this one.

I have a 14x12 hanging tom and I want to cradle it. I don't want to drill any holes, or stick anything onto the actual drum. I don't really have sound in mind, this is so I can remove a stand and create more floor space and just have a more solid feel from the tom in general.

I haven't been able to find much detail (althought I don't have all day to look around on the net) but how do these attach mostly? Is the bottom hoop replaced with the cradle to secure it or does the drum just sit in it?

I see RIMS have one, I know they've got a great rep, but I'm not sure if they attach to the shell?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

A RIMS floor tom mount like this: http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html cradles the drum around the tension rods, essentially the same as one of the rack Tom suspension mounts.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

I used a Gauger Dynamount for my 14x14 floor tom for a while, then I went to suspension mounting. The Dynamount worked fine but I just like less clutter and legs on the floor so I have stayed with suspension mounting.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

My 16 was suspended and switched it to a cradle, I bought a world max DSS from drumfactorydirect.com as it was alot cheaper than the new alloy guager and matched my original chrome guager suspension mounts on the rest of my kit. The resonance stayed about the same and I really enjoy having a floor tom again instead of all my toms being hung.