DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Now THAT is a bass drum port...

natdigga-

Thanks for the analysis, but i don't think it's fair to use a Youtube audio stream as a sample.

And I'm guessing that there is still some "bedding" stuffed in there to keep it from ringing like a tympani.

Mark
Drumagination.com
Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumagination View Post
natdigga-

Thanks for the analysis, but i don't think it's fair to use a Youtube audio stream as a sample.

And I'm guessing that there is still some "bedding" stuffed in there to keep it from ringing like a tympani.

Mark
Drumagination.com
I think it is fair, actually.

Firstly, the audio streams on YouTube are nothing like as compressed as they once were. The audio on the 720 and 1080 videos is at a good bitrate and sample depth.

Secondly, the comparisons are 'like for like'. It really is an 'A' sample and a 'B' sample. If the two samples had been recorded at different bit rates and depths then I'd be skeptical (particularly if the depth were different) but they're not. They're the same. The analysis is absolutely fair.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Mediocrefunkybeat; "The analysis is absolutely fair. "

Here is a quote from the guy that actually did the video:
"Chaos2092: i did the recording and post on this video and i used a Canon 550D camera with its inbuilt mic, and thats it"

This is the microphone that comes with a digital SLR camera (I'll try and attach a photo below). The camera does come with:

"External Microphone Socket
Add an additional microphone for better quality sound using the 3.5mm stereo jack socket." But they didn't use it.

Between the SLR camera audio and using two different drums, I don't think you can reach any conclusions from the Youtube video or natdiggas interesting and thorough analysis. Just my opinion.

I used to think that this sort of thing was crap, until I saw the KickPort live at a NAMM show. I heard the same drum, played by the same drummer noticeably improved by the device. If I played acoustic drums, I would definitely own one. The jury is still out for me on the drumport.

And for the record, I think it looks more like a jet engine intake than a donkey's butt, for those keeping score.

Mark
Drumagination.com
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFrom View Post
I got mine in the post today and made a comparison video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EVlf5iD_I
this merely sound higher pitched to me. No better no worse.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Administrator

I would like to here one sample of the head installed backward. Like a funnel. More air moved and more focused.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Yeesh...I watched the homemade video and the official drumport video. I think it sounds terrible. A goofy product that won't even gain enough market footing to become a passing fad.

It's cool for research and might lead to better products...and I still think it looks kinda cool. All silly drum port products aside, I'll cut a small 3" hole in my resonant head, tune it up, and boom, boom, boom out the beats, as usual.