DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Default For the interested people, an overhead mic test: Shure PG81 vs Behringer C2

Attached a recording I did yesterday, one part using 2 Shure PG81 and one using 2 tiny Behringer C2 mics. No editing, - crappy playing ;-) - and just using the 2 overheads mics (X/Y setup), no additional mics.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/ccFuhUYq/..._20120217.html

Anyone can tell which are which? Other comments?

Note1: The Behringer sell for EUR 48 (USD 63) as a matched set, the Shure mics cost EUR 115 (USD 151) each over here, so almost 5 times more expensive.

Note2: I thought I would share this because I was doing research on mics and sound compares like these would have been useful to me as well.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: For the interested people, an overhead mic test: Shure PG81 vs Behringer C2

I'm going to say C-2 first and Pg second. I liked the tom tone on the second clip. I picked up a pair of C-2s a few years ago for $40 usd new. They have been dropped a fair deal and still sound great. No reason to take expensive mics to bar gigs. Thanks for doing the comparison.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM

Default Re: For the interested people, an overhead mic test: Shure PG81 vs Behringer C2

Thanks for your feedback. The PGs were used on the first and the C2s on the second recording. According to Behringer there is an intentional 4 dB boost from 1 kHz to 8 kHz to give recordings a brighter sound - but that could be a design flaw as well.
Anyway, the sound quality and absence of noise and hums surprised me positively.

Like you said, I think it's a great set for bar gigs and very cheap.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Well done. I was secretly hoping I was wrong and my cheap C-2s were the second recording. Thanks for the comparison.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Great comparison man. I could hear a slight difference but I have no clue which was what. They both sound good, and on a mix with a band.. I'd like to see who hears the difference.

I also own a pair of C-2's plugged into an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and the recordings are absolutely noise-less. The only problem I have is my crappy room. I have to put some absorbtion because it is very boomy right now.

I bought a 4-preamp interface so I could upgrade in the future and use: 2 overheads + bass drum + snare. In a good room with a good drummer and some post eq-ing you can get awesome results.

Thx for sharing.
Cheers.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Yeah, it will be more than enough for gigs (no one else but other musicians care about sound quality then anyway) but also for decent home recording. I had them going into an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R, works fine.

I think it would be great if there were more sound comparisons online. Plenty of opinions around...but they still are opinions. It's better to hear for yourself.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 AM

I've been looking at overheads for gigging in small clubs but hadn't even considered the Behringers until now. Hmmm...

Thanks for the comparison!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

I say go for it Phil. I picked mine up for $40 usd. The pair came in a plastic hardcase with foam partitions with two separate clips, a stereo bar and wind screens. I cut out some of the foam and was able to fit a kick mic in the case with the OHs. I use that with my acoustic group and it fits nicely into my gig bag with sticks, brushes, rods, charts, shakers, tambos, rags and any other assorted buffoonery I take along to one of their gigs.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Pretty good comparison. Listening to it with my AKG K240 headphones it was difficult to really say there was a significant difference in quality, the slight tone differences can be easily attributed to EQ. I used to be a bit of a brand snob until I heard a recording that a friend of mine did in studio with a set of Digital Reference mics on his drums, after that I started really paying attention and trying out some of the cheaper brands out there. Personally while I don't think Behringer and Digital Reference or whatever will hold up against a nice Rode, I do believe some of their models are as good if not better as well as quite a bit lower in cost than a lot of the big name companies' second/third lines like the Shure PG series.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I say go for it Phil. I picked mine up for $40 usd. The pair came in a plastic hardcase with foam partitions with two separate clips, a stereo bar and wind screens. I cut out some of the foam and was able to fit a kick mic in the case with the OHs. I use that with my acoustic group and it fits nicely into my gig bag with sticks, brushes, rods, charts, shakers, tambos, rags and any other assorted buffoonery I take along to one of their gigs.
I love to hear more personal endorsements. I think I'll buy a set and try them. Thanks Clutch!

@Eric, did you find them for 48 euros in Holland? Cheapest I've found them was 50 at Thomann in Germany and I'd still have to pay for postage. Rather just go to a shop and pick them up.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
@Eric, did you find them for 48 euros in Holland? Cheapest I've found them was 50 at Thomann in Germany and I'd still have to pay for postage. Rather just go to a shop and pick them up.
Hey Phil, all's well?

Actually, I got them from Thomann for EUR 48. I had to order some heads and sticks and had this in my wishlist so I thought I would give it a try. No postage (order total above EUR 100). I'm not sure what they go for in the stores around here.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Hey Phil, all's well?

Actually, I got them from Thomann for EUR 48. I had to order some heads and sticks and had this in my wishlist so I thought I would give it a try. No postage (order total above EUR 100). I'm not sure what they go for in the stores around here.
Hey Eric, yeah, life is good. Okay, gonna have to order them from Thomann. I have about 35 pairs of sticks, but do need new heads for the Rogers, so I'll try for the free shipping. Where are you located? Sorry for writing in English, but while my spoken Dutch is okay, I can not write in it. :)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I used to be a bit of a brand snob until I heard a recording that a friend of mine did in studio with a set of Digital Reference mics on his drums, after that I started really paying attention and trying out some of the cheaper brands out there. Personally while I don't think Behringer and Digital Reference or whatever will hold up against a nice Rode, I do believe some of their models are as good if not better as well as quite a bit lower in cost than a lot of the big name companies' second/third lines like the Shure PG series.
Right. Most problems I've read about cheaper brands like Behringer seems to concern poor quality check. Some people have had nothing but problems from day 1 (also with replacement gear) while others are happily using theirs years and years without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
Hey Eric, yeah, life is good. Okay, gonna have to order them from Thomann. I have about 35 pairs of sticks, but do need new heads for the Rogers, so I'll try for the free shipping. Where are you located? Sorry for writing in English, but while my spoken Dutch is okay, I can not write in it. :)
No problem, it's an English forum ;-).
I'm located in a small village near Deventer.