DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Default E-kit for practicing

Hello guys i have several questions for you me and my old band have rearranged and and we maybe take stage. Fro the stage i have to take buy a snare, cymbal(i think 2 crash and one ride) and pedals but thats another issue.
I can't buy an acustic drums due to sound problems. Thats why i think to buy an e-drum we won't play complex fast songs on stage so DB B05 or XM XMT 3M can help me ?

After all that free time my hands and muscles aren't like old time. I just want to make more practice in home .. Yamaha and Roland e-drums is too expensive in here so i think i can't afford it.
Have a nice day
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: E-kit for practicing

Senri Kawaguchi rocks a Yamaha e-kit here .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaE62...eature=related and I'll include a performance of the same song on acoustic, here .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLOD...eature=related
If an e-kit is what you need .... go for it !
I don't know what either of these cost ( DB B05 or XM XMT 3M) but on the cheap, I bought an old Tama Techstar ... and, using an acoustic snare, hi-hats, and cymbals, came up with this ...
Cost perspective ... my hi-hats and ride cost more than the Tama Techstar. Heck, the snare cost almost as much as the Techstar.
Attached Images

Last edited by harryconway; 02-20-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Gold Member

If you're gonna get an e-kit, get either yamaha or roland..don't waste your money on the other brands you mentioned….
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntk View Post

....After all that free time my hands and muscles aren't like old time. I just want to make more practice in home ..

If you just want to practice quietly and get your 'muscle memory' in shape, you don't really need to get an e-kit.
Something as simple as a practice pad can work wonders. If you need 4 limb co-ordination work, rig up a kick pedal on a padded board, slap something on a hi-hat that's quiet, and use a couple pads.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're after, that's a low buck way to go.

Yamaha and Roland are probably the best for complete e-kits. But something like an Alesis PercPad might work for you. You can hook up a kick pedal too.

If you just have to have an e-kit, I'd suggest looking for an older Yamaha one that's in good shape.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 AM

I've played the Yamaha's and they are very nice, but really the sound is not quite as good as the roland's same with the feel. Get the Roland no matter what level you'll love the sound and feel, that's why I got a Roland V-Drums
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrushr30dw View Post
I've played the Yamaha's and they are very nice, but really the sound is not quite as good as the roland's same with the feel. Get the Roland no matter what level you'll love the sound and feel, that's why I got a Roland V-Drums

The old Roland/Yamaha argument - ha ha. Sound is subjective. For the most part, I prefer Yamaha's sounds.
For feel, I like my homemade mesh heads and kick pads better than either Yamaha or Roland. The new Yamaha TCS pads are pretty nice though.

I do like Roland's hi-hat pedal better than Yamaha's though - a more progressive feel to me. I use the pedal instead of the hi-hats with electronic stuff.
Hi-hats are for acoustic kits - sacrilegious to use one on an e-kit, ha ha.

People can disagree about this stuff all day long though.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

I use Roland T-10 for late hour practice. Low cost and takes very little room. Denis
Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
If you're gonna get an e-kit, get either yamaha or roland..don't waste your money on the other brands you mentioned….
Yes! What he said.

It's true that Yamaha and Roland cost more, but they are worth the money. The sounds and the feel make it similar enough to a real drumming experience (even though both sounds and feel are a little different from a real kit, they are close enough in my opinion). I have practiced so much more since I got an e-kit in my home. (Roland in my case).

You might also consider second hand Yamaha or Roland if money's tight.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
The old Roland/Yamaha argument - ha ha. Sound is subjective. For the most part, I prefer Yamaha's sounds.
Agree!..yamaha samples just sound more real..cause they are..:)

Quote:
I do like Roland's hi-hat pedal better than Yamaha's though - a more progressive feel to me.
We differ here..if you played both top kits regularly, I think you might change your mind and like the yamaha sound here better as well…both fail in comparison to a real hihat though..so we kinda agree…lol

Quote:
People can disagree about this stuff all day long though.
Agree!..I guess we agree more than disagree…lol..