DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 AM

Default Kick drum trigger/pedal for Roland Handsonic

Hello, I've just purchased a Roland HPD-15 Handsonic, and since it didn't work to use a FD-7 or FD-8 as a kick drum trigger pedal like I hoped, I need to get a dedicated kick drum trigger like the Roland KD-7 or KD-8 or similar. I'm primarily thinking to find a used one, and between these two the KD-7 seems most appealing to me, primarily because of the small size, but then I'll also need a special Kick Beater for this of course (KDB-7). What are the advantages/disadvantages of the KD-7 vs the KD-8?
And how about the Yamaha KP65, this cost much less than the Rolands, how does this compare to those, and will it be compatible with the Handsonic (I've heard that Yamaha and Roland stuff don't always work good together..)?
And are there other contestants to consider in this price range (preferrably below the Rolands), that will work fine with the Handsonic?
And with any of these above mentioned units, you'll need a kick drum pedal, of course, will any regular pedal do for this purpose?

For the record, I'm really a guitarist, not a drummer, hence these "stupid" questions.. ;-)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Kick drum trigger/pedal for Roland Handsonic

The KP65 will work with it - I've tried it.
I've also got a homemade kick trigger that works with it. It looks horrible, but it works good - ha ha. Alesis makes a kickpad too, but I haven't tried that one. It should work, but I can't say for sure.
Any pedal should work fine. They're pretty standardized.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 AM

Ok, thanks! Have you tried the KD-7 also? It's a totally different design than the KP65/KD-8, and I like that it's so small and discreet.. But I'm thinking that since Roland discontinued it and changed the design drastically with their next model (KD-8), the KD-7 might have had some issues?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I mis-read your post. I've tried those kick pedals with the HPD-10, not HPD-15. They probably react the same, but I can't say for sure.

No, I haven't tried any of the Roland kick pedals. I bought one Yamaha one, and then did some research and learned how to make my own. That's probably the way I'll go if I need another one.