DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Default Thoughts on Yamaha pedals...?

So I have been playing DW 5000's for almost 20 years, In the last year I stepped up to the 9000's but really haven't been happy with them. I found myself this past week going back to the 5's. Now at namm I was looking at Yamaha's gear, and being a Yamaha artist I figured I should pick up a set of theirs. I'm looking at the DFP9500C's http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...0c/?mode=model

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the DW pedals I have been using?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Yamaha pedals...?

I played around with those one time, to me they felt really sluggish. I wouldn't decide on pedals just because you also play their drums, I played pearl pedals on tama kit forever, so I would say give the 9000s atleast 6 months and if you still aren't happy try all the pedals in your local music store. The iron/speed cobra to me is like all the good in the 5000/9000 and more, maybe try those?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 AM

I am thinking of getting a better double pedal and so I have been taking note, for about a year of what pedals the bands I watch are using.
Sometimes you can't identify it but of the ones I have recognised the 5000 seems to be much more common than the 9000. There must be a reason for that and it can't be just cost.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I love my Yamaha pedals (two FDDD's). Fell in love with the pedal as soon as I put my foot on one (at a NAMM show, a few years ago.
At the time, I had a DW 5000 A3 .... and I bought and brought into my studio a Yamaha FDDD. Did a little personal shoot-out, A/B'ing both pedals, for about a month ... and the Yamaha won. Sold the DW on eBay, and bought a second Yamaha pedal. Yamaha got more than just my praise, they got my money.
And I, too ... didn't care for the 9000. If someone was to give me one, I'd sell it and buy me a 5000.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

I have 3 of the previous gen Flying Dragon pedals, a chain double and 2 direct drive singles. I prefer the chains btw.To me they have the most comfortable heel plate and footboard, very smooth, well built. I bought the double pedal used and I've never done any maintenance on it.

I have owned the 9000, Cobras (both Iron and Speed), asd I went back to the Yammies every time. The only bad thing I can say is that the Yamaha connecting rod is very average. Mine has a ton of lag, the u joints have developed surface rust. But I suppose that's not entirely their fault, and the DW rod isnt all that great either.

Yamaha has been making great pedals for a long time now, may pros have used tem over the years. They are every bit as good as the DWs or Iron Cobras in my opinion. And Yamaha now offers a longboard too, the 8500c, I would really like to get my feet on that.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

i have been playing yamaha pedals since around '88 (belt drive 7 series). just a very natural feel, light & fast. over the years i have tried DW 2005 / 2007s (got that first 2002? double pedal when it came out in the 80s), pearls (eliminator & the older one before that). i always come back to yamaha for the feel.

about a year a go i went on a single pedal hunt & tried everything. sometimes the way music stores set up the pedals would turn me off w/ ridiculous spring tension or odd beater position, etc. anyhow tried iron cobras, 2005, 2007 & 2009. pearls didnt feel right. i went with the yamaha FP-8500B belt drive. sick pedal. fast, light & great feel. later paired it up w/ the HS1200 3-legger, easily the best hi-hat pedal i have ever played.

i do like the 2009 but it is a lot of mass to move & didn't have enough rock gigs to justify the $$$.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys,
This is some good info, I think I may sell my 9000's and get some Yamaha's.
I'm going to keep my 5000's, but I'll probably just keep them on my kit in the studio and use the Yamaha's on gigs.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

I play yamaha 9500d, same as you linked but the direct drive version, and they have been nothing but superb so far, so I can only assume the chain ones are great pedals too.

I have written in a few threads regarding yamaha 9500 pedals, if you search you'll probably find more info.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 AM

Im using the direct drives , both a double and a single. Although im more of a weekend warrior then a professional . These pedals are great , good solid feel and a tonne of adjustments that you tweek to get it just right.

Like any pedal there was an adjustment period to get things dialed in just so. I haven't really had to tweek anything major over the years.

The best thing about these pedals the quality is there, and they are more affordable then some of the others.

I would love to own some DW Gear but cant justify it with the amount of gigging I do.

Well that my double stroke rolls worth.

Have fun on your quest

Last edited by aktivguy; 01-31-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktivguy View Post
Well that my double stroke rolls worth.
HAHAHA!

I LOVE THAT!