DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 AM

Default Electric drums for my barracks room. Need advice on ideas of a kit.

So it's been a minute since I've been on the drumming scene since I last sold my set in June of 2011 before I left for basic. I'm looking to buy an electric set for my barracks now that I've been stationed and need a rough point in which way to start. With tax income coming in I'll have around a grand to spend freely on, but will be able to go a little higher if need be. I've never really played an electric set. I was always a fan of acoustic but being in a barracks environment I'm sure the complications with that are evident. So if anyone could point me in the right direction of a good, durable, and responsive set it'd be much appreciated.

If possible, I was aiming to get a set with an operating hi-hat that actually opens and closes. Any help is much appreciated once again. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Electric drums for my barracks room. Need advice on ideas of a kit.

Go with either Roland or Yamaha.

I don't know much about yamaha, other than their stuff is a little cheaper. I'll let some one else talk about yamaha.

Roland makes really good stuff. For 1000 you can get their entry level kit, the TD4K2. If you buy it from this place
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/dr...p?product=8738
You get a bundle with it. Head phones, sticks, throne and a pedal. Normally the kit it's self is $1000, but this bundle is only $10 more. The high hat control isn't the best. It's basically open, or closed. There is a middle point, but its hard to find it and impossible to keep it their. To get the operating high hat you would need to move up to the TD9KX2 which is $2700, but you get beeter pads and a better crash and ride too. The mesh snare on the TD4K2 is nice. The mesh pads feel some what like a real drum set compared to the rubber.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Yea, I heard the mesh pads were much better. If I buy the cheaper one is it possible to upgrade to the operating hi hats and higher ended crash and rides or is the program in the module meant to run specific kits?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

You sure you want to spend money for a barracks room? Is it completely lock able? Chance co-horts can come in and tinker? If all is good, I really dig the Roland TD 9. Mesh heads are better but the rubber heads are great for target practice. And you can always use them later for a trigger. Took the TD9 to Iraq for a year. Broke it down into a PX foot locker. Great decision I ever made. Good luck.....
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 AM

You can upgrade pads at your leisure. Yes make sure no one can get to your set with out you wanting them too. Just be careful what you buy because not everything is compatible with the TD4 and TD9. I know you can't run the VH12 or VH13 (the VH cymbals are the operating high hats) on the TD4 and I doubt you can on the TD9, but both the TD4 and 9 will run the VH11.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 AM

Alright that's good to hear, and for the moment I've been rooming with a sergeant in my company but he's moving to a new company and new barracks so I have no room mate and they're changing the combination wednesday so as of now I won't have to worry about it. When the time comes I got enough space in my closet to break it down neatly and lock it away.