DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Planet Waves PW-CT-05 metronome experiences?

I came across this metronome while searching for one to buy online, and one reviewer on Amazon said the BPM is innacurate. Here's the link to the review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R287NVO...wasThisHelpful

Does anyone here own/tried this metronome and would agree with the statement made by the reviewer?

Other reviewers gave this product a high rating, but I'm not sure it's worth the money IF it in fact can't keep an accurate BPM. And here's the products main page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-F...dp_product_img

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Planet Waves PW-CT-05 metronome experiences?

I don't have this one, but here's my view.

A metronome is a metronome. If in doubt, just get another one.
As to worth the money - this one has a number of helpful features. So I'd say the price is ok. The "bpm precision" is just one aspect.
As to "bpm precision": What purposes do you need this metronome for? Now if you're going to record whole songs to this metronome and then after recording open a metronome on your audio editor, those 2 metronomes might not line up. That WOULD be an issue. But for practice purposes - basically no. Imagine you're dialing in 100 bpm and the metronome would actually produce it's 99.5 or 100.5 - what's the point? Will this ruin your technique/inner clock? Certainly not.

For the price to me this thing looks like a good offer. Depending on how much bpm accuracy you really need. I've never checked the hardware metronomes I've been using (one older Seiko, and a Tama Rhythm Watch) for their precision, but that's because I was always using them for practice/orientation, not for actual recordings. (When recording, I'm using the internal metronome of my hardware digital audio workstation so things will line up perfectly there.)

Just find and read some more user comments on this product on the net and then make up your mind.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

I use a metrenome in a program called Reaper or a program called Pro Tools.
It has always served me well.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:00 AM

Thank to both of you for your replies.

Arky, Thanks for the lengthily written advice and ridding me of concern. I have next to no experience with metronomes. But I was definitely concerned about it possibly ruining my inner clock, if it's timing is off by any chance. I think I'll get this metronome.

toddy, I would most likely use software if I had a place to put my computer equipment closer to my drums. But I think I need something that's quickly within my reach.