DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Default need help with drum rack

I have an 8 piece double bass tama rockstar from like the 80s and I recently bought a pearl 3 sided 503 drum rack, its a beautiful rack but I have a big problem the tom holders from the drumset don't fit into the clamps on the rack, they're a little bit too wide and the clamp won't open any wider. So my question is there a different tom holder that works with tama toms but will also fit inside the clamps on the rack? Or am I pretty much screwed? this is my first time using a drum rack so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: need help with drum rack

First off, get a ruler. You need to know "exactly" what size tube you need/can use. Your Tama tube size is probably 1" ... and the Pearl probably accepts a 7/8", so you probably need to find a Gibraltar tom holder .... that has an L-arm and a 7/8" downtube. Gibraltar makes lots of hardware widgets that make one manufactures stuff work with "someone else's" stuff. In your case, making Tama work with Pearl. It'll look something like this.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the help ill look into that
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Sure, no problem. I had a Pearl DR-100 rack. And the PC-10 clamps took the 7/8" downtube. I think your rack takes the same diameter, but I'm not 100% sure on that. That's why you want to measure it yourself. And you'll want to measure the L-arm diameter also.Tama uses 10.5 mm L-arms, I think, but being I don't have any 80's Tama hardware laying around, I can't be 100% sure of that, either.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM

That is right, the Pearl rack clamps take 7/8" tube. As it happens Yamaha also use 7/8" tube so you can use their brilliant ball lock and heavy duty boom arms in the Pearl clamps.
That's how I married a Yamaha MCA to a Pearl DR1 rack.

There is also a smaller Pearl clamp that takes half inch tube, I'd guess these are for mics and other lighter gadgets.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
...Yamaha also use 7/8" tube so you can use their brilliant ball lock and heavy duty boom arms in the Pearl clamps.
That's how I married a Yamaha MCA to a Pearl DR1 rack.
True that. I started out falling in love with the Yamaha hardware, while using a Pearl rack. In the mid-90's. Using Yamaha Omni-Ball tom holders all the way around, with Gauger RIMS fitted with Yamaha tom mounts, I could run virtually any brand drum (Yamaha, Ludwig, Rogers, Slingerland, Tama, Pearl ... even Remo Roto-Toms. The drums came ... the drums went ... I kept the mounting hardware. Still have it ... but now I have a Yamaha hex rack.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys hopefully I'll be able to mount my toms on the rack instead of the bass drums soon :)