DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Default DnB Snare and Kick

Hey guys,

I am new here and have searched a bit but have yet to find a answer to a very specific question I have.
You see, I'm in a band (not the drummer by the way,but more or less the guys that has money and just spends it easily) and we play a lot of electronic-styles of music, doing covers from Nero, Pendulum, The Prodigy and more, just to name a few.

Synthesizer-wsie we are pretty much where we want to be, our main keys-guy has his setup and our bassplayer does some stuff too on a midicontroller (we dont sequence anything by the way).

One thing we do need to sort out is our drumsound, more specifically, a good way price/quality/usability etc.-wise to to use triggers for only our kick and snare.
The rest of the drum kit will do the acoustic way, but we need that hard kick and the splashing snare that comes with the styles of music we play.

I was hoping we could get your thought on this, regarding gear suggestions and prices etc.

I hope this information is enough for now, but if you need some more information just ask!

LN
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DnB Snare and Kick

You can get a Bass drum trigger for about $25' as for what you'd plug it into is beyond my area of expertise.

As for the snare, you'd be surprised how nice and crisp you can get an acoustic snare to sound. My girlfriend had a college buddy that played drums in a goth rock/electronica band. His snare sound had to be nice and crisp so he used a shallow wood snare that was tuned higher and muffled. He got a solid crack out of it that carried pretty well.

Another option is a 12" snare. Check this guy out, the snare is probably EQ'd but it sounds great for what he's playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_5UGIFc8g
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, it definitely gave me a different view on things ;)

As for what our band is looking for I definitely liked the vid you added in your message, but although I liked the sound of that snare, it's not what we're looking for.
A good example is the snare sound Pendulum uses live for songs like Witchcraft.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I7wAF1qjCU)

Quite splashy but not over the top in my opinion.
As for the kick, we'll figure out what works for us along the way ;)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

I would stay away from triggers if at all possible. I just use a piece of paper laid across the batter head to get a sound similar to that. Tune the drum to where it's most resonant, set the snares nice and loose (works better with string instead of plastic straps, as the string is slightly stretchy) and try different thicknesses and shapes of paper. I haven't done a lot of experimenting yet, but currently using a page from a magazine (thin paper) with a hole in the middle, and the corners cut off so it fits inside the hoop. This is on a Chad Smith signature snare (14x5 steel) and a Pearl Brass 13x3 piccolo, both with ambassador batters. Rimshots sound splashy and fat. I think the fact that the paper is floating, and not stuck to the head (like tape) is what makes it work.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Hmm, very interesting idea to say the least, but wouldn't that need alot of 'maintenance'? We're steadily gigging at the moment and getting all our stuff around everytime is already pretty hard work. Ofcourse, setting up triggers and stuff is too, but still..
to add to that, triggers do eeem to be the exact thing that'll get us what we need, other options are also appreciated, but has anyone here thoughts on what the minimum requirement in terms of equipment such as triggers and soundmodules would be needed?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockdownNation View Post
Hmm, very interesting idea to say the least, but wouldn't that need alot of 'maintenance'? We're steadily gigging at the moment and getting all our stuff around everytime is already pretty hard work. Ofcourse, setting up triggers and stuff is too, but still..
to add to that, triggers do eeem to be the exact thing that'll get us what we need, other options are also appreciated, but has anyone here thoughts on what the minimum requirement in terms of equipment such as triggers and soundmodules would be needed?
Yeah, lots of money, haha. I don't have that much experience with triggers to be honest, so I couldn't really tell ya. I'm looking at doing the same thing for my set up some time in the future, but I'll be micing the snare and using the trigger for an additional effect that goes off when I hit the snare, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM

I do, the thing is, alot of soundmodules in the lower price range tend to get shit reviews on all kinds of aspects, though we'd only use it for the kick and snare.. for example the Alesis Trigger IO. If it triggers the kick and snare properly, I see no reason to not consider buying it.
Together with some red shot triggers it seems good to go (plugged in my laptop, that is).
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

that snare/kick can be achieved acoustically, with our friend mr. EQ over there, but it's probably easier (as you said) to just trigger them.

the ddrum triggers work very well, im not sure what module you'd use though.

but when you say DnB i think you mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2fEUktsXw which is more traditional fast DnB....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM

When we do get the chance to go into a bit more detail with the soundman at a gig we actually tell him how we'd like get our kick to sound, the hard kicking sound that we need ofcourse. In terms of the snare that's a whole other story for me that I wouldn't be able to explain to him, as I don't know how ;)

edit: wow, nice find in that video. I mentioned Pendulum mainly because they seem to get the sound right as a live band. We do play that 175bpm DnB as well, if that were to be specific enough.
We're really looking for a 'versatile' snare sound in a way that it can be used for all of our songs, wether they be fast DnB or the little slower Dubstep songs. So that 'little splashy snare' I mentioned is probably the way to go.
I'm not sure what specific kit our drummer has, but it's pretty much quality stuff. He is a multi-instrumentalist that does alot of work music-wise around the neighborhood. He also has a electric kit he uses for simple recordings, I actually have a vid from a few years ago of him playing it:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB_7bvuoO0A)

Anyways, he borrowed some triggers some time ago and tried to hook them up to his electric kit but somehow it didn't quite work out (bad snare-response and such) and using the electric kit live wont work as he needs it for work on a daily basis and cant afford to carry it around all the time.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Just to let you guys know, I send that vid to our drummer and he can probably make his snare sound that way pretty much.
Still in need of ideas for live situations to make the kick sound powerful and punchy though.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Besides the usual heads, tuning and muffling, the right mic and mic position, with the perfect EQ and compression setting is what you need. I don't know if any bands do sidechain compression live, but that's something else to look into. It's one thing to get a good kick sound, but getting it mixed with the rest of the band is another matter again.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Hmm well said, I dont think anyone uses sidechaingin compression live as a band, that shit can fuck up stuff pretty easily I think..
Last gig we did we with our drummers kit, the kick did sound pretty good already, but tweaking is ofcourse a good solution.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

look up JoJo Mayer and his group Nerve. his setup works brilliantly as an acoustic kit!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Yeah, someone replied with a video on how to get that snare sound he uses already :) very useful!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM

Hey guys, I'm back again, we did a gig last saturday and other than the soundguy boosting the bas on the synths for no reason and thus fucking up the sound, it went pretty well.
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this but here is a recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aosxp868zU4

The drumkit was from the venue, but our drummer brought his own snare and cymbals (all zildjian, not sure what types) The snare was from this Pearl Masters kit (our drummer's kit, if it werent too obvious already) http://www.deluxeaudio.com.au/images...asters-mmx.jpg this exact one.

In my opinion, the snare and cymbals were actually the only things that sounded good and cut through. Though I would like some more advice on the snare, I'm not sure if you are familiar with this specific snare, but you can hear how it sounds now, any idea's on how to make it a bit more splashy? just a bit, to make it sound bigger. Is it possible to get that through mixing it with a trigger?