DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Small bead sticks

I recently bought a pair of Zildjian el negro Horacio Hernandez sticks. Haven't tried them on the kit but they feel great on the pads

Has anyone used these or other small bead sticks before. What attracted you to them?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Small bead sticks

I can't remember the model name, but I used a small beaded Vater model at one point. They felt and sounded good, but they dented the crap out of my heads due to the small point of contact between the tip and drum head (well, that and the fact that I beat my drums like a rented mule).

Let us know what your results are :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I can't remember the model name, but I used a small beaded Vater model at one point. They felt and sounded good, but they dented the crap out of my heads due to the small point of contact between the tip and drum head (well, that and the fact that I beat my drums like a rented mule).

Let us know what your results are :-)
The small tips feel too light in the front end for me and the type of music I play. How do you dent drum heads? I have never done this. You must have to hit pretty hard. I use a 5A stick, which I guess is an average weight. My brother used to, but he breaks everything. :)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Small ball-bead tips are tougher on heads -- they will tend to make dents. But I love the sound on cymbals -- if you want to maximize your ride cymbal, this is the way to do it. I use mostly Vater Phat Rides and Firth Erskine model -- almost identical except for thickness.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

I can see how the denting can happen ... I guess not for hard hitters, eh? I don't the energy for that caper these days - my rented mule died years ago.

They feel nice when I want to play sensitively on the pads but I'm hoping they don't sound thin on the kit.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 PM

I use Vater Sugar Maple Sweet Ride and Vater Manhattan 7A. Both have small ball wood tips.
I prefer the sound of this type of tip on ride cymbals. Haven't dented any heads with the Manhattans.
Don't expect to dent any heads with The Sugar Maple sticks as they quite light and not used in a loud setting.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Administrator

I have a set of Peter Erskine, by Vic Firth, that are pencil eraser size nylon tipped sticks. They sound great but don't try to play loud. They have no ass.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 AM

the peter erskine signature ride stick has a pretty small bead and it feels phenomenal. also sounds just buttery on the ride cymbal, guess thats where it got its name :)
I've tried the ones grunter mentioned, but i think i prefer the ride stick, if im not mistaken, its a little longer, no problems getting loud believe me, but still has plenty of control.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I've almost bought Peter Erskine sticks a couple of times but, as with these ones, I worried they might sound thin ... they say a larger bead gives a fuller sound.

Won't get to try them out tonight after all because I have a cold and don't want to inflict my germs on everyone else and their families etc so they'll make do without me ... they might enjoy it so much they'll decide to go drummerless :)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM

I used bolero's back in my concert percussion days. I feel like the thick shaft gave me better grip control and the smaller tip gave me more dynamic control. I would never use them on kit drumming though.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

I love the sound of round small wood tips on cymbals. I have a pair of Zildjian's Super7A's that sound just plain beautiful on my ride and hihat. They really bring the best out of cymbals.

However, drums sound much fuller and round with large, thick sticks, at the cost of sounding worse on cymbals. I guess you can't have everything, right?

All of this, in my humble opinion, of course.

Cheers.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
However, drums sound much fuller and round with large, thick sticks, at the cost of sounding worse on cymbals. I guess you can't have everything, right?
You can always spin the stick round in your snare hand & use the butt end - or even a different stick - if you need a fatter snare sound :)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshirePudding View Post
You can always spin the stick round in your snare hand & use the butt end - or even a different stick - if you need a fatter snare sound :)
I actually do that sometimes, but mostly when I'm cross-sticking the rim, not so much when playing "normally". :)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

I really like Vater Fusion sticks, but I quit using them because I was denting the heads with the small round tips. Since I stopped using them, no more dents. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 AM

I was watching Bozzio's Ostinato DVD last night - he was using round beaded sticks - no complaints about the sound he was extracting :-)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
However, drums sound much fuller and round with large, thick sticks, at the cost of sounding worse on cymbals.
Yes, intuitively that's my take on it. Yorkshire Pud's comment probably covers that one, and that's what I did when playing rock (especially since my RH was more powerful than my LH). I'm too heavy-handed to do that with my current band - I'd just scare the horses.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

I have found round-beaded sticks harder on heads in general. The Simon Phillips 707s I used years ago could chew through a drumhead in a show! (Not literally, but it would severely pit the head.)

That said, I don't think you will have that issue since you aren't hitting hard. And the small beads do sound great on cymbals. You'll have to try them to see if you like the drum sound.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I can see how that small surface area would be a problem if you're really whacking the drums. I've developed a pretty heavy ride cymbal fetish these days so it might work out.

The band practiced without me last night, and they used the drum machine on the keyboard. I've been told that since the keyboard doesn't have a sense of humour my job is safe ... for now :)

Would it be fair to say that a round bead will be a little less versatile than an acorn bead but easier to achieve a consistent tone?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Just going through the recording of last night's jam and there's a moment when I'm comparing the sound on the ride between the el negro small bead sticks of the Billy Stewart Zild sticks with and acorn bead. I've attached a very short sound file.

Which one do you think is which stick? Which one do you prefer?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 sticks on ride.mp3 (75.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I'm guessing the first one is a small bead, the second one is larger.

In that particular A-B comparison, I prefer the slightly more pingy sound of the first one, but the difference in sound is not something I'd ever notice in a band setting.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I'm guessing the first one is a small bead, the second one is larger.

In that particular A-B comparison, I prefer the slightly more pingy sound of the first one, but the difference in sound is not something I'd ever notice in a band setting.
Yep.

The small bead not only pings more but also seemed to highlight the dark tones. The normal acorn bead is more even and washy. It's not a perfect experiment because the wood of el negro stick is more dense, which probably exaggerates the effect. But I agree that it's only noticeable when the rest of the band is playing sparsely.

I actually found it more difficult to play with good feel with the small beads but that might be that I'm not used to them.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 AM

Just got the El Negro tips and they are half-way decent. They bring out a beautiful jazzy click in my 22" light ride, and no dents as of yet. Strangely though, these are the most front heavy sticks i've ever played. It might just be a heavy grain however, but both sticks are consistently face heavy. Im NOT digging the thick lacquer on these though, whats the deal?