DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 AM
mindcryedrummer mindcryedrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default Mixer for live and studio recording?

I'm looking for a mixer with at least 12 inputs that would able to record my 8-piece drum set with a condenser on my snare, and 2 bass mics, as well as 5 tom mics and 2 overheads, in my own house, as well as be able to handle live performance as well, within the price range of $400, any suggestions? I'm kind of new to this area of hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

I have an allen and heath 16 channel mix wizzard, its rack mountable or can be a desktop console as well, decent built in effects which can be midi controlled with a laptop, netbook, etc, has 6 monitor sends plus an a/b out also, dual sweepable mids plus high and low on each channel and direct outs on each channel, it is a very versatile board for live or for studio and very compact as well. you should be able to grab a used one for $400-$600
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,429
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

I suggest saving up another $300 and finding yourself an older Yamaha O1v digital console. Compression, EQ, and Effects on every channel, 4 omni outs, plus the two stereo ones (you can expand your separate outputs to 8 with an add-in card to go to a recorder), and it's an awesome live mixer that's super clean. Every small show we have going on here at Disneyland gets an O1v.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,590
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I have an allen and heath 16 channel mix wizzard, its rack mountable or can be a desktop console as well, decent built in effects which can be midi controlled with a laptop, netbook, etc, has 6 monitor sends plus an a/b out also, dual sweepable mids plus high and low on each channel and direct outs on each channel, it is a very versatile board for live or for studio and very compact as well. you should be able to grab a used one for $400-$600
We have the same desk! Is yours the latest series? I love Allen & Heath stuff. The pre's & EQ stages are superb.

To the OP, the Mixwizard is a great compact pro desk, but you can get close to that quality with the Allen & Heath ZED series, & for considerably less money.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 584
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

Presonus 24.4.2, 16.4.2 or 16.0.2
Mackie 1640i

You need a computer with firewire, but then you can record 24/16 simultaneously.

Check on ebay how much they cost.

The Presonus mixers are digital and you have a lot of control in terms of eq, noise gate, compressing and effects both during recording and mixdown.

Mackie is analog with less controls, but you can insert effects like external compressors during mixdown.

thx

jorn
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
We have the same desk! Is yours the latest series? I love Allen & Heath stuff. The pre's & EQ stages are superb.

To the OP, the Mixwizard is a great compact pro desk, but you can get close to that quality with the Allen & Heath ZED series, & for considerably less money.
Yeh I love A&h boards too, this one I have is about 10 or 12 years old now, its seen a pile of road work and studio time as well and still works and looks just like the day I bought it. The versatility is great, there have been a couple times doing sound for other bands that I would have not been able to do the gig if it wasnt for this board. Its amaising they could pack that many features into such a compact design which is why I bought it in the first place as at the time it was the only 16 channel with on board fx that would fit in a rack that I could buy locally.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I suggest saving up another $300 and finding yourself an older Yamaha O1v digital console. Compression, EQ, and Effects on every channel, 4 omni outs, plus the two stereo ones (you can expand your separate outputs to 8 with an add-in card to go to a recorder), and it's an awesome live mixer that's super clean. Every small show we have going on here at Disneyland gets an O1v.
I'm going to agree with Matt here. The Allen and Heath stuff is great but if you can get the Yamaha Digital, get the Yamaha Digital. The Allen and Heath sounds fantastic and is a really great desk but the sheer flexibility you can get from a digital is really outstanding. Some of the older Yamahas aren't all that easy to use and will take a lot of getting used to but once you understand how it works and how to route the sound effectively you'll wonder why you didn't go digital sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
mindcryedrummer mindcryedrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Mixer for live and studio recording?

would something like this be a pretty good pick?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Allen---...08-i1435490.gc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com