DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Here's my new Jazz kit with some customizations. Great sounding kit! Here's some pics:






With flash:



What I changed:
  • Painted the bass drum hoops black to reflect some vintage Gretsch kits I've seen
  • Switched stock tom batters to reso's and replaced them with ambassadors
  • Clear floor tom reso to snare reso, ambassador on top
  • Puresound Custom 20 strand
  • Gretsch fiberskyn reso and powerstroke 3 batter
  • Filled bass drum with pillows and blankets... just kidding. I'm waiting on felt strips to come in
I also took some advice I'd read here and applied tung oil to the inside of the shells. Like others have said, this kit sounds surprisingly impressive. I even got the snare sounding great, sort of "Stanton Moore-ish". I love the finish because it reminds me of that classic Champagne Sparkle, but I've come to like Copper Sparkle even better! And I gotta say, the snare reso was SO sad! Might use it to saran wrap some food in the fridge!

Also, anyone thinking about getting a Cat Jazz kit... Do it! And when you do, go to Sigler Music and get one without hardware for $100 less than everyone else is selling just the shell pack for!

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Cameo's Avatar
Cameo Cameo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

I'm actually looking for a second kit. Could this do they job, though I play progressiv rock like Muse and such, funk and sometimes jazz. It's the bass drum that concerns me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Joey182's Avatar
Joey182 Joey182 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 638
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

I can't see the pics?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/chrometrees
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 AM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I'm actually looking for a second kit. Could this do they job, though I play progressiv rock like Muse and such, funk and sometimes jazz. It's the bass drum that concerns me.
Depends on your tuning, but it's got a big and punchy sound. It'll surprise you. It's got a wide tuning range... tuned up high for jazz, or lower and punchy for rock, funk, w/e. And of course, as long as you're mic'ed, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Spectron's Avatar
Spectron Spectron is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 547
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

tell me abou that ludwig bass drum behind the jazz kit...is that a 26?
Looks huge!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post
tell me abou that ludwig bass drum behind the jazz kit...is that a 26?
Looks huge!!!
Yes it is. Classic Maple 14x26, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18. Looks kind of funny looming over the Gretsch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,788
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
Yes it is. Classic Maple 14x26, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18. Looks kind of funny looming over the Gretsch.
In green glitter, with what looks to be a rail mount...? I might just be jealous of you, sir!
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,846
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

I've got one of these kits in WMP. Good sounds.

Try an EMAD on the kick next time you do a BD head change. You'll like it a lot.

I'll have to try that (putting the G1s on the reso side).

I like the copper wrap but the walnut finish for this kit is my favorite. I wish I had waited until they came out with that finish before I bought mine.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
BradGunnerSGT's Avatar
BradGunnerSGT BradGunnerSGT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 445
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
I've got one of these kits in WMP. Good sounds.

Try an EMAD on the kick next time you do a BD head change. You'll like it a lot.

I'll have to try that (putting the G1s on the reso side).

I like the copper wrap but the walnut finish for this kit is my favorite. I wish I had waited until they came out with that finish before I bought mine.
+1 on the EMAD, especially if you are going to play anything other than jazz.

I also wish I had opted for the walnut finish (my snare of choice has a mahogany stain and it would match better), but the copper sparkle is really nice. It looks reddish gold under some lighting, and more straight up gold in direct sunlight (outdoor gig).

I like the painted/stained interior on the bass drum hoops. I'll have to steal that idea. :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,846
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGunnerSGT View Post
I like the painted/stained interior on the bass drum hoops. I'll have to steal that idea. :)
Me too! Next tinkering at home on Sunday project.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Little Ricky Little Ricky is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Why the tung oil on the insides?
Does it change the color of the wood?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
RedeyeSPR's Avatar
RedeyeSPR RedeyeSPR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 108
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I'm actually looking for a second kit. Could this do they job, though I play progressiv rock like Muse and such, funk and sometimes jazz. It's the bass drum that concerns me.
Mine always worked fine for classic rock stuff. It does need a mic if the room is big or you are outside.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Ricky View Post
Why the tung oil on the insides?
Does it change the color of the wood?
Tung oil seals the wood to protect against moisture, ultimately resulting in a longer life for your drum. The oil seeps into the wood until its fully saturated, and then forms a "urethane-like" coating after several applications. And yes it changes the color to an amber-ish stained look, brings out the wood grain and gives the wood some depth with enough coats. However, I just did it for practical purposes, again, to seal the wood. Because this is a "lower-end" kit.. price-wise... the interior is basically raw. Higher end kits have finished interiors.
Also, once you've got a good shine coating, the sound will change as well. I notice my drums sound warmer, more "rounded-out", and a bit louder.
Hope that answers your question.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
Tung oil seals the wood to protect against moisture, ultimately resulting in a longer life for your drum. The oil seeps into the wood until its fully saturated, and then forms a "urethane-like" coating after several applications. And yes it changes the color to an amber-ish stained look, brings out the wood grain and gives the wood some depth with enough coats. However, I just did it for practical purposes, again, to seal the wood. Because this is a "lower-end" kit.. price-wise... the interior is basically raw. Higher end kits have finished interiors.
Also, once you've got a good shine coating, the sound will change as well. I notice my drums sound warmer, more "rounded-out", and a bit louder.
Hope that answers your question.
I have been considering doing this with the Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. I think it would be similar to what Neil Peart used to do with his kits sonically and of course sealing the wood should make the shell more stable. My only concern is softeningthe bearing edge. The rounded edges on the cat jazz kit not so much but on the PDP CXR kit that has the sharp 45 degree edges
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM
stillgroovin's Avatar
stillgroovin stillgroovin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York state of mind.
Posts: 362
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

I sealed the interiors of my Catalina Maples with Teak oil and it made an amazing difference. Sound quality improved and it just makes the interiors look like their high end cousins. I wrote an extensive post on the procedure that you may be able to find in search.

Audiowonderland, the oil will have no effect on the bearing edge at all since it soaks into the wood rather than laying on top like a varnish or shellac.
__________________
Never trust a smiling dog!

Gretsch and Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 AM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,846
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
I sealed the interiors of my Catalina Maples with Teak oil and it made an amazing difference. Sound quality improved and it just makes the interiors look like their high end cousins. I wrote an extensive post on the procedure that you may be able to find in search.

Audiowonderland, the oil will have no effect on the bearing edge at all since it soaks into the wood rather than laying on top like a varnish or shellac.
You can also tape them off with some blue painters masking tape and less or no oil will get on the edges.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
morguis's Avatar
morguis morguis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Galicia, Spain
Posts: 30
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
Here's my new Jazz kit with some customizations. Great sounding kit!
What I changed:
  • Painted the bass drum hoops black to reflect some vintage Gretsch kits I've seen
  • Switched stock tom batters to reso's and replaced them with ambassadors
  • Clear floor tom reso to snare reso, ambassador on top
  • Puresound Custom 20 strand
  • Gretsch fiberskyn reso and powerstroke 3 batter
  • Filled bass drum with pillows and blankets... just kidding. I'm waiting on felt strips to come in
I also took some advice I'd read here and applied tung oil to the inside of the shells. Like others have said, this kit sounds surprisingly impressive. I even got the snare sounding great, sort of "Stanton Moore-ish". I love the finish because it reminds me of that classic Champagne Sparkle, but I've come to like Copper Sparkle even better! And I gotta say, the snare reso was SO sad! Might use it to saran wrap some food in the fridge!

Also, anyone thinking about getting a Cat Jazz kit... Do it! And when you do, go to Sigler Music and get one without hardware for $100 less than everyone else is selling just the shell pack for!

Cheers
Congratulations!!! That set looks fantastic. And wrapping looks better here than in Gretsch catalogue. Mine is WMP and I love it, but I think I would go for a copper one if it would be available at the time of purchase. If this finish was with virgin bassdrum I'd buy it right now.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by morguis View Post
Congratulations!!! That set looks fantastic. And wrapping looks better here than in Gretsch catalogue. Mine is WMP and I love it, but I think I would go for a copper one if it would be available at the time of purchase. If this finish was with virgin bassdrum I'd buy it right now.
Thanks man, both are very classy finishes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

The 'copper sparkle" is a very nice finish, but if I was going to buy a set it would have to be in "white marine pearl" just because that was the finish of my dad's 4 piece 1950's Ludwig set. I really enjoy playing the Club Jazz kits every chance I get.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
ptp ptp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by morguis View Post
Congratulations!!! That set looks fantastic. And wrapping looks better here than in Gretsch catalogue. Mine is WMP and I love it, but I think I would go for a copper one if it would be available at the time of purchase. If this finish was with virgin bassdrum I'd buy it right now.

I have exactly the same kit and made almost precisely the same modifications with one addition: I converted the kick to virgin for $15 in supplies and about 30 minutes of work. Here's how:

Gretsch directed me to Precision Drum Co. in NY for a small piece of "Modern Bermuda Sand", which is pretty much a spot-on match for Copper Sparkle, cut and delivered for $10. I removed the mounting hardware and badge, then drilled out the screw holes to 3/8". The 1 1/2" central hole and five 3/8" (four screw holes and badge vent) were filled with flat-top wood plugs (about $5, pre-cut) and glued into place. Then, a 1/3" round cutting tool was used to remove the wrap surrounding each of the plugged screw holes and again to cut 1/3" patches of Modern Bermuda Sand as filler, which were glued into place, topping off the leveled-out plugs. The repair borders are well-fitted, smooth and indiscernible, really only visible under close inspection. To avoid aesthetic concerns of a large (1 1/2") fix area through the mounting arm hole, I moved the badge to cover this repair, drilling out a 3/8" hole to accommodate the vent, then dropped a new grommet in. The whole thing took about 30 minutes to complete - it's a super simple DIY mod.

The kick looks exponentially better and, to my ears, sounds a bit more open. The mounting hardware is the only detail of the Cat Jazz kits I can't get down with.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptp View Post
I have exactly the same kit and made almost precisely the same modifications with one addition: I converted the kick to virgin for $15 in supplies and about 30 minutes of work. Here's how:

Gretsch directed me to Precision Drum Co. in NY for a small piece of "Modern Bermuda Sand", which is pretty much a spot-on match for Copper Sparkle, cut and delivered for $10. I removed the mounting hardware and badge, then drilled out the screw holes to 3/8". The 1 1/2" central hole and five 3/8" (four screw holes and badge vent) were filled with flat-top wood plugs (about $5, pre-cut) and glued into place. Then, a 1/3" round cutting tool was used to remove the wrap surrounding each of the plugged screw holes and again to cut 1/3" patches of Modern Bermuda Sand as filler, which were glued into place, topping off the leveled-out plugs. The repair borders are well-fitted, smooth and indiscernible, really only visible under close inspection. To avoid aesthetic concerns of a large (1 1/2") fix area through the mounting arm hole, I moved the badge to cover this repair, drilling out a 3/8" hole to accommodate the vent, then dropped a new grommet in. The whole thing took about 30 minutes to complete - it's a super simple DIY mod.

The kick looks exponentially better and, to my ears, sounds a bit more open. The mounting hardware is the only detail of the Cat Jazz kits I can't get down with.
Post a pic. I'd like to see how it turned out.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Stixnergard2 Stixnergard2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 222
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Great job tweaking in the kit!. Painting the hoops all black would have the first thing I did if bought a Cat.jazz kit!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 AM
millerscapes's Avatar
millerscapes millerscapes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 186
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Love it!!! I have a soft spot in my heart for those cat jazz kits! Love the painted hoops!

Congrats!!
__________________
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
crashtest drummy crashtest drummy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 9
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Very nice kit, I will definitely go for one within the next couple of weeks. According to most owners it really seems to be a bargain, and at least with a little "homework" it can be a good tool for many musical situations, not only for beginners.

Though the post isn't brandnew, I would like to ask a question about the snare that most of the owners consider to be rather poor.

@adam! what exactly did you put on your snare drum and how did you tune it to make it sound "stanton moorish". Since I am planning to use the kit for a deep funk project, that could exactly be the sound I would go for. What about the strainer? Is it working properly, or did you have to modify it as well?
Are you still satisfied with your kit after some months?
Edit: I went over your 1st post too far and didn't see you put your floor tom reso on the snare (???) Doesn't that kill any snare response? Or did you put the original snare reso under your floor tom? Sorry for my english, if I got you wrong ;-)

Over all I am really looking forward to playing this little gretsch.

Jan

Last edited by crashtest drummy; 01-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
adam!'s Avatar
adam! adam! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chattanooga, tn
Posts: 163
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

PM sent.
2020202020
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM
carterplaysdrums carterplaysdrums is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Stumbled upon this post just now. Love the set up and mods on the kit. I have one myself. Use it for combo jazz and smaller rock/pop gigs. Works excellent in both situations. Considering using it for a big band gig coming up. Not sure it will work but my Tama Starclassic 22" birch kit might be a little much. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 AM
RedeyeSPR's Avatar
RedeyeSPR RedeyeSPR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lima, OH
Posts: 108
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterplaysdrums View Post
Stumbled upon this post just now. Love the set up and mods on the kit. I have one myself. Use it for combo jazz and smaller rock/pop gigs. Works excellent in both situations. Considering using it for a big band gig coming up. Not sure it will work but my Tama Starclassic 22" birch kit might be a little much. Thoughts?
Try taking the 16" floor tom from your Tama kit along with the Cat Jazz. I had an emerald green one a few years ago and added a random 16" floor tom. I had a blast with that kit. I never did like the snare much though.

__________________
My YouTube Drum Covers - youtube.com/RedeyeSPR
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:01 AM
Altar Altar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 55
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Nice! Now all you need are a few vintage badges to complete the look. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,879
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Yours is a very nice kit. Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
A-customs's Avatar
A-customs A-customs is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south new jersey
Posts: 538
Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Looked at these hard ,went for the Ludwig Club date kit.......Sweet kit man good luck with them!!
__________________
Yamaha,Ludwig. A Customs.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com