DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM

Default What brands and sizes of stick did Buddy Rich use?

I have looked all over the internet and so far I have found those goofy Vic Firth sticks that are a MIxture of the two main size sticks that buddy used. I have seen in the West side story video that he uses what seems to be thick sticks that are wood tipped.

Hopefully you will have some proof if you know what size and brnd sticks he played. A lot of people speculate but if possible I would like to know for the record. thx
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What brands and sizes of stick did Buddy Rich use?

In the first ever issue of Modern Drummer in 1975, Buddy Rich said he used a 'medium weight stick that feels good in his hand'. That's the model you should be looking for ;)

I personally think he was one of those guys where it didn't really matter.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Buddy Rich was of course a compulsive rhythm freak. It was born in him and was a thread through his whole life. I don't think it would have mattered if they had been broom poles, except for the little inertia problem.

One thing I have noticed in films and videos of all those old time drummers is they use very long sticks. If you watch the old Gene Krupa films where he does all those fantastic brrrr...brrrr solos he is using long sticks and holding them halfway down. Louis Bellson also did the same. It seems that sticks were generally longer and slimmer than we use today and they didn't hold them by the ends very much. They did play with both ends though.

I think you get more speed like that because the weight of the stick acts as a counterbalance, so you can go faster. It also figures that for speed a fairly light springy stick would be a help, you won't get far with Chad Smith funk rockers.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Bo I wanted to know what size and brand sticks buddy used. I already know what size and brand mine are :)

I am sure he had a certain stick preference. No, Buddy wasn't God so I doubt he would have made good use of mop handles. He was very particular with many things: beards, foot pedals, SNARES (he never found one that satisfied him) and don't even get me started on Buddy's views of stick grips :). His setup could not be altered in any way. It had to be set up the same every night, not even a cymbal was to be turned. This guy knew what he was doing and knew what he liked, anything different was wrong in his opinion. I'm sure he had a preference in drumsticks and that's why I asked the question. I appreciate you guys responding though.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

This has come up before without resolution a few times, enough that it may be the Stradivari secret of drums.

I use the Vic Firth Buddy Rich stick, and love it. I don't play like Buddy though, so they're probably not made right.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
This has come up before without resolution a few times, enough that it may be the Stradivari secret of drums.

I use the Vic Firth Buddy Rich stick, and love it. I don't play like Buddy though, so they're probably not made right.
I use the stick as well and love it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Slingerland,WFL,Ludwig and Rogers all made Buddy Rich model drum sticks.They are included with the Buddy Rich model drum set and were listed in the 1971 Slingerland catalog for 1.80 US .You would have to get a copy of the catalogs to get the specs.on the sticks though.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 10-03-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

After about 15 minutes of research..I have discovered that,the current Vic Firth Buddy Rich drum stick is nothing like the sticks Buddy actually used.According to his fan club,they are much too heavy.

When Buddy was with Ludwig..he used the Ludwig 15A model.16" long unknown diameter

Buddy also used Pro-Mark 5 A's with a slightly modified football(American football)shaped tip.

The sticks he used during his last years were made by Carpella.The BR model 19/32 in diameter 15 7/8" long with a modified 5 A tip like the Pro mark sticks he also used.

He used different sticks through out his career,and like most of us...he changed brands and specs to what ever felt better at a particular time.The general characteristics seem to remain 19/32 diameter,15 7/8-16"in length,and a WOOD 5 A style tip.Made from hickory

Steve B
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 AM
audiotech

I heard that they were Gene Krupa signature sticks.

Sorry, it's been one of those nights, lol.

Dennis
Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I heard that they were Gene Krupa signature sticks.

Sorry, it's been one of those nights, lol.

Dennis
See, this is why we need a "Like" button!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post

No, Buddy wasn't God .......
Hey!!! That's enough of that - are ye not a drummer?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Jack Adams, owner and founder of Jack's Drum Shop in Boston, custom made most, if not all, of Buddy's sticks for him for many years. If there is any record of the specifications for those sticks, Vater would have it. Vater started with Jack's wood lathe in the cellar of the shop. That Jack made sticks was never publicized nor widely known until much later when Vater was formed. In terms of something you could go buy that would be very similar, I believe 5A and 5B both come pretty close. When Jack would hand Buddy a bundle of sticks, I never saw any money change hands so I think Jack just did it because he was a nice guy and also because Buddy would come to the shop and hold a clinic whenever he came to Boston, which of course boosted business.

Buddy was a whore when it came to product endorsements. He would play and endorse the products of the highest bidder at all times and then play fast and loose with the companies who paid him. No loyalty whatsoever toward any company. For $5,000 bucks he would play any drum brand. In those days that was not only a lot of money, Buddy was the only drummer being paid by any company for an endorsement. I remember him coming to Boston in the mid-1960s as an endorser for Rodgers (note: from year to year during that era he endorsed Ludwig, Slingerland or Rodgers that I can recall). He held a clinic at Jacks, playing Rodgers at the time, but that same night at Lennie's on the Turnpike in Peabody, he was playing a Fibes snare drum. I asked him about it and he just shrugged, grinned and told me to keep mum as no one else would notice.

In truth, he could get away with this behavior because he was just absolutely so incredibly talented, and he had a charm about him that was irresistible. I am sure he drove a lot of drum company executives mad. Without question Buddy was the most naturally gifted drummer I have ever seen. He worked hard and he felt a deep sense of responsibility to respect his talent by pursuing it with all his strength. He was also a damn fine singer, but not at the same level as his friend Mel Torme, much less Sinatra, so his foray in that direction was short lived.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Could the size and length of stick used be influenced by whether the drummer used a traditional or match grip?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

As im aware he used some sticks, which was just a half inch longer than a normal 5b. Promark have some signatures. I saw Vic firth have a signature stick too, i suppose they're pretty close to what you're looking for.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
Bo I wanted to know what size and brand sticks buddy used. I already know what size and brand mine are :)

I am sure he had a certain stick preference. No, Buddy wasn't God so I doubt he would have made good use of mop handles. He was very particular with many things: beards, foot pedals, SNARES (he never found one that satisfied him) and don't even get me started on Buddy's views of stick grips :). His setup could not be altered in any way. It had to be set up the same every night, not even a cymbal was to be turned. This guy knew what he was doing and knew what he liked, anything different was wrong in his opinion. I'm sure he had a preference in drumsticks and that's why I asked the question. I appreciate you guys responding though.
Oh nooooo, my head is spinning.........Buddy wasn't God?

I'll be OK. Just have to take slow, deep breaths. I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK.......
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stevenson View Post
Jack Adams, owner and founder of Jack's Drum Shop in Boston, custom made most, if not all, of Buddy's sticks for him for many years. If there is any record of the specifications for those sticks, Vater would have it. Vater started with Jack's wood lathe in the cellar of the shop. That Jack made sticks was never publicized nor widely known until much later when Vater was formed. In terms of something you could go buy that would be very similar, I believe 5A and 5B both come pretty close. When Jack would hand Buddy a bundle of sticks, I never saw any money change hands so I think Jack just did it because he was a nice guy and also because Buddy would come to the shop and hold a clinic whenever he came to Boston, which of course boosted business.

Buddy was a whore when it came to product endorsements. He would play and endorse the products of the highest bidder at all times and then play fast and loose with the companies who paid him. No loyalty whatsoever toward any company. For $5,000 bucks he would play any drum brand. In those days that was not only a lot of money, Buddy was the only drummer being paid by any company for an endorsement. I remember him coming to Boston in the mid-1960s as an endorser for Rodgers (note: from year to year during that era he endorsed Ludwig, Slingerland or Rodgers that I can recall). He held a clinic at Jacks, playing Rodgers at the time, but that same night at Lennie's on the Turnpike in Peabody, he was playing a Fibes snare drum. I asked him about it and he just shrugged, grinned and told me to keep mum as no one else would notice.

In truth, he could get away with this behavior because he was just absolutely so incredibly talented, and he had a charm about him that was irresistible. I am sure he drove a lot of drum company executives mad. Without question Buddy was the most naturally gifted drummer I have ever seen. He worked hard and he felt a deep sense of responsibility to respect his talent by pursuing it with all his strength. He was also a damn fine singer, but not at the same level as his friend Mel Torme, much less Sinatra, so his foray in that direction was short lived.
Descendents and Black Flag Bill Stevenson?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM

No, I am not the famous drummer Bill Stevenson. We share the same name is all.