DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Default 14X18 Catalina Club Bass Drum Microphone

Hi,

I've searched this site for info on kick drum mics and have noticed the D112, Beta 52 and the D6 seem pretty popular. Is this what people are using in the smaller Catalina Club Jazz 14X18 kick or are they using something different due to it's smaller size? Any recommendations for a mic for that specific bass drum would be great. It's primarily being use in a 4 piece rock band. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 AM
audiotech

Default Re: 14X18 Catalina Club Bass Drum Microphone

It really depends on if you want an accurate sound out of your 18" bass drum or an exaggerated or hyped one.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 AM

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions for "accuarate" and "hyped".
Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM
audiotech

For accuracy, I'll use a cardioid microphone with a more linear frequency response especially in the lower registers that does not accentuate the low frequency content of the bass drum. This is especially the case when used close to or inside of the resonant head that will increase those bottom frequencies due mainly because of proximity effect.

An Electrovoice RE20 would be an excellent microphone that will fit these criterias. It has very little, if any proximity affect due to its unique design and can take a very high SPL (in the 160's) without its capsule bottoming out.

A hyped microphone would be any of the microphones that you mentioned earlier in this post plus a few others that are primarily made for the general public for use in live gigging situations. You would rarely, if at all, see these microphones being used on bass drums in commercial studios. These microphones have an inherently high degree of bass boost, some up to 20 decibels and more that can cause muddiness in your audio mix and cause a sense of less audible attack on your drums batter heads. This type of build-up of lower frequency content will also affect every other instrument and voice that is being mixed. A way to get around some of this interaction would be to find the offending frequency and "Q" and dial back the equalization or another way would be to give some "air" between these microphones and the sound source for less proximity effect. Most people believe that the more bass response, the better. This is very far from the truth. This will yield very little articulation on an already bottom heavy PA system. We've all heard them, more times than not.

I'm not one that reaches for the EQ control until other means of sound shaping has been used, such as using the right microphone and its placement for the application.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiamma02 View Post
Hi,

I've searched this site for info on kick drum mics and have noticed the D112, Beta 52 and the D6 seem pretty popular. Is this what people are using in the smaller Catalina Club Jazz 14X18 kick or are they using something different due to it's smaller size? Any recommendations for a mic for that specific bass drum would be great. It's primarily being use in a 4 piece rock band. Thanks for your help.
I've used a D6 internally mounted on a Kelly Shu inside of the Cat Jazz 18x14 bass drum with excellent results in a live Country/Rock.