DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Default new to forums..need some advice!

i'm currently 18 years old. i play a metalcore/post-hadcore style of music. asking alexandria, motionless in white, the devil wears prada, etc...anyway, i currently have an Iron Cobra P900 double bass pedal that i use on my TRUTH drum kit. i got it with a pearl set i bought about 3 years ago. i'm looking to upgrade as i start doing more shows and just looking for something better. i ended up getting pretty fast with these IC's. i've always had a knack for speed, even when i first started on a cheap-o $80 double bass pedal, and when i started playing on these, it was incredible.

i'm not looking at something like TRICK or AXIS pedals. they're a little bit out of my price range. and i tried them at a local drumshop, and i wasn't too impressed for the price that they are.

i'm just looking for something that would be a "step up" from the IC's i have now, or would it just be worth it to stay put? i just feel it's time for change, ya know? thanks in advance!

FORGOT TO ADD...there is a local guy around here selling his DW 5000 double pedal for $250..would they be an "upgrade" to these particular IC's, or no?

Last edited by Breathless11; 01-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: new to forums..need some advice!

You might wanna check out the Pearl P3002-D Demon Drive Eliminators. They got some good reviews. Looks like they retail around $500. I play Axis (single) myself. When I did get double pedal I got me the DW5000's. They seemed to do very well, but I left them in storage for now.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless11 View Post
i'm just looking for something that would be a "step up" from the IC's i have now, or would it just be worth it to stay put? i just feel it's time for change, ya know? thanks in advance!
Have you considered the Tama speedcobras ?

The Mapex Falcon is another good pedal, it has the advantage of drive options and cams options as well as other items to achieve that "personalised" setting of the pedals. You can even fit a direct drive system at extra cost (not very expensive).

http://www.falconpedal.com/
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Breathless11, I play the exact same type of music as you and am currently deciding between the DW 5000 and the Tama Speed Cobras. I think both are very good for our kind of music, and aren't too expensive like some of those other pedals out there. If you can get out to a music store and try these two pedals I'd highly recommend it. And I do think it's worth changing to a better pedal, because at least in my opinion these two pedals are better than the one you have now (although pedals ALWAYS come down to personal preference)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmug822 View Post
Breathless11, I play the exact same type of music as you and am currently deciding between the DW 5000 and the Tama Speed Cobras. I think both are very good for our kind of music, and aren't too expensive like some of those other pedals out there. If you can get out to a music store and try these two pedals I'd highly recommend it. And I do think it's worth changing to a better pedal, because at least in my opinion these two pedals are better than the one you have now (although pedals ALWAYS come down to personal preference)
there's so many options, and i'm honestly overwhelmed and don't know which way to turn for a little bit of a better pedal. i've found dw 5000's and dw 7000's locally for extremely cheap, but not sure if it's worth the money.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

The 3000/7000 (same pedal, different name) is a downgrade from an IC, the 5000 is on the same level. I would stay away from DW if you are playing metal and will be working your pedals hard. The Cobras over the years have proven to be a more durable pedal.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless11 View Post
i'm currently 18 years old. i play a metalcore/post-hadcore style of music. asking alexandria, motionless in white, the devil wears prada, etc...anyway, i currently have an Iron Cobra P900 double bass pedal that i use on my TRUTH drum kit. i got it with a pearl set i bought about 3 years ago. i'm looking to upgrade as i start doing more shows and just looking for something better. i ended up getting pretty fast with these IC's. i've always had a knack for speed, even when i first started on a cheap-o $80 double bass pedal, and when i started playing on these, it was incredible.

i'm not looking at something like TRICK or AXIS pedals. they're a little bit out of my price range. and i tried them at a local drumshop, and i wasn't too impressed for the price that they are.

FORGOT TO ADD...there is a local guy around here selling his DW 5000 double pedal for $250..would they be an "upgrade" to these particular IC's, or no?

I wouldn't rush into a $600+ pedal purchase. What you have now is a quality pedal, it has a good feel, its adjustable, it can do the job well, lots of pros use the same thing.

In time you'll come across those other pedals you're curious about, you'll get a chance to play them, I would be patient.

Having played just about every pedal out there I can tell you from experience that the differences are pretty minimal as a whole once you've got a taste of the grass being greener on the other side.

What I would do with your IC's is change the beaters, this will give you a different sound and feel for not a lot of money and it may bring out some positive effect that'll seem wonderful, worth it, if not, you still have some cool beaters.

The differences are there with the hi-end pedals, but you may not be ready to fully appreciate them. The crazy thing is, once you are able to fully appreciate the differences you're at a level of ability where you can make any pedal feel good.

In the end the pricy pedals are built to last, that's all they really have on the cheaper stuff, the build quality is better.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

I totally agree with Les. Hmmm.... usually do. If the IC's work for you, keep 'em. Go out there and play (put your feet on) every pedal you can. If somewhere during your "test pilot" adventures, you find a pedal that totally gives you a religious experience ... then go out and buy it. Save for a year if you have to. But until you know for certain that you've found pedal nirvana, hang with what you have.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I totally agree with Les. Hmmm.... usually do. If the IC's work for you, keep 'em. Go out there and play (put your feet on) every pedal you can. If somewhere during your "test pilot" adventures, you find a pedal that totally gives you a religious experience ... then go out and buy it. Save for a year if you have to. But until you know for certain that you've found pedal nirvana, hang with what you have.
thanks. that sounds like what im going to end up doing. i'm just going to stay put and until i find something that i fall in love with, i'll stay put. thanks everyone! i do appreciate all the replies
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Depends really on your budget but I would say Tama Speed Cobras would be right for you. They cost in Europe 456 euros which is 430 dollars. I believe that the price is in US still about the same. I believe that it will cost you max 500 USD but I believe it is going to cost you less. Although if you like Iron Cobras and they are the right ones for you, of course you should keep them... If you go for DW's and you want to play fast then I recommend you to change the beaters. Beaters are very heavy on DW-pedals.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 AM

5000s aren't really a step up from iron cobras...and $250 isn't a very good price for them, I got mine $350 new. If you really want something new, I'd recommend Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drives. Direct drives offer more response, which sometimes means less power in my case, and a different feel. I'd pick them up used, hell GC had a set for $99.99...but that's me. Try em, and any other pedal you're considering first.

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Get two matching IC's and add another bass drum ;) You can't play what you play and only have one bass drum. That's just wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

sounds like you need to practice