DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 AM

Default Drum Tattoos?

im thinking of getting a tattoo to represent my love for drumming, post your pictures of yours or just any cool drum tattoo pictures! thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
RickRockstar

Default Re: Drum Tattoos?

I dare you to get RLRR and LRLL right under your knuckles on your Right and Left hands respectively....

Actually, I triple-dog-dare you!!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRockstar View Post
I dare you to get RLRR and LRLL right under your knuckles on your Right and Left hands respectively....

Actually, I triple-dog-dare you!!
I doubt anyone will beat that. Thats an amazing idea. I double dare, triple dare, padlock, stampy dare you to do that.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 PM
RickRockstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
I doubt anyone will beat that. Thats an amazing idea. I double dare, triple dare, padlock, stampy dare you to do that.
LOL... hell yeah. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a regular, square, office job, I would do it myself.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRockstar View Post
LOL... hell yeah. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a regular, square, office job, I would do it myself.
Dont let that stop you! punch through the rules and regulations of everyday life with your RLRR LRLL bearing knuckles! :P
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM

...a paradiddle is a great idea but given the chances the artist will screw up the sequence of rights and lefts on the first try... i'd say ahhhhhh... maybe go for something else!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Location: Getting ready to move to Spokane, WA.Born in California live in Washington State

It's best to go by your personality. If you love a song you can get the title and the tab under or over it or ad a picture you feel describes you.
I have a feminine thumper rabbit on my arm playing a snare drum with my nick name under it.
From your name you could get a decomposing dude, skin peeling off bones showing but totally alive playing drums on you.
Pinner
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tattoo has been a vision of mine for the past 11 years. I have always wanted to capture my love for drumming and music in the form of a tattoo. For years I went back and forth with the idea of using my own hands and or drums in the portrait. Then after reading Neil Pearts wife Carrie Nuttall's portrait book that captures Neil in many beautiful photographs I found the perfect picture. I have a quote that I created and have used on the name of one of my personal drumming albums: "Rhythm In The Hands Of Few". I thought that it would also be a perfect description for this portrait tattoo which includes Neil Pearts hands. I would like to thank Neil Peart for all the years of inspiration he has given to me. Someday, Neil, if you are ever near my Howland, Ohio home, we will have to take a motorcycle ride together! I would also like to thank Carrie Nuttall for the great portrait art she has created. Thanks for looking.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=16890&T=6686

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85KRC0wSDU
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Well if your a chrisitan get two drum sticks in the shape of a cross. If you don't want that, or the parradiddle on the knuckles (Bad Ass idea), get some drum sticks and right below it put the letters W.M.D.s (Weapons of Mass Destruction)
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

If you want to broadcast your love of drumming, I'd settle for a bumper sticker, jacket and hat. You can take these off whenever you like but a tattoo is forever.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Now ya gotta!

GJS
Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tattoo has been a vision of mine for the past 11 years. I have always wanted to capture my love for drumming and music in the form of a tattoo. For years I went back and forth with the idea of using my own hands and or drums in the portrait. Then after reading Neil Pearts wife Carrie Nuttall's portrait book that captures Neil in many beautiful photographs I found the perfect picture. I have a quote that I created and have used on the name of one of my personal drumming albums: "Rhythm In The Hands Of Few". I thought that it would also be a perfect description for this portrait tattoo which includes Neil Pearts hands. I would like to thank Neil Peart for all the years of inspiration he has given to me. Someday, Neil, if you are ever near my Howland, Ohio home, we will have to take a motorcycle ride together! I would also like to thank Carrie Nuttall for the great portrait art she has created. Thanks for looking.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=16890&T=6686

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85KRC0wSDU
Where are all the Tattoos? I thought there would be some post of music inspired Tattoos like the one I posted here!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Location: Conviently located between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, MI , Michigan

Quote:
What...no Triple Dog Dare...you skipped right over it! LOL
_______

Cool tat "Sirwill"...I was never into tattoos, but that looks great.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

to this day ive never seen a tattoo of drum sticks that doesnt look like penises. make sure you get a good artist if you get sticks.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysnare View Post
to this day ive never seen a tattoo of drum sticks that doesnt look like penises. make sure you get a good artist if you get sticks.
I think that's a very accurate statement. A bad tattooist can ruin a very good design/idea, check this out.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
I think that's a very accurate statement. A bad tattooist can ruin a very good design/idea, check this out.
She looks mean on that tattoo... Heck, I'd get a refund.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

I would rather shell out the cash for some drum gear. You can always sell off the gear you regret buying later on for something else.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
That's just awful...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

I am next to the tattoo idea. Now that I am 48 and apparently some sort of damn authority figure, it seems more reasonable everyday. I have seen lots of bumper stickers that say if you don't like tattoos don't get one. I really enjoy Tattoos on people who you would not consider candidates. There is a nurse who works for me over here in Iraq who is inked up 6 ways from Sunday. Usually in uniform, you can't see them but she had on a scrub top and they looked awesome. I pulled her aside and told her I wanted to talk to her about her appearance. Privately, I told her I thought they were awesome, make sure you show them off when you can. I mean the art work is beautiful. It made her day.

These were not the average tramp stamp but really nice arm work. Big Afro's and Pony Tails too are cool too, we need more of them. Probably just another chapter in my mid life crisis but people with that stuff are usually more interesting to talk to than Joe Square. Which is me of course. I can't figure out a tattoo that would work for me either. Please submit the music pics. I did see one soldier with musical notes on a staff on his forearm. It was the opening notes to Danny Boy.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
but people with that stuff are usually more interesting to talk to than Joe Square.
Having a tattoo doesn't make you any more or less interesting. It just means you have a tattoo, that is all.

Also, to people who say, "If you don't like tattoos, don't get one," I say, "If you don't want people to comment on your tattoo, don't display one." People wear get them for the look-at-me factor but not all attention is positive.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockOut86 View Post
That's just awful...
Eek! It's the teeth! The strokes used to define them were too way heavy. Kinda like bashing ghost notes ...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Having a tattoo doesn't make you any more or less interesting. It just means you have a tattoo, that is all.

Also, to people who say, "If you don't like tattoos, don't get one," I say, "If you don't want people to comment on your tattoo, don't display one." People wear get them for the look-at-me factor but not all attention is positive.

whilst I don't have any tattoo's at the moment... and the way my money goes on drums maybe i never will have any...
I think that I agree that those that get a tattoo for the "look at me" factor shouldn't get one, but as a personalised statement of Faith or what you love doing, such as your love for music, why not...
although I would have to say that in the Corporate world, and if your wanting to make money as a Musician, as opposed to a pop star, then make sure that you can cover tattoos when they may not be appropriate, say in a meeting with some high flying Billionare, or someone who'll be giving you a high profile gig... since it may be a deciding factor, if you know what I mean...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Eek! It's the teeth! The strokes used to define them were too way heavy. Kinda like bashing ghost notes ...
But the wont turn into ghosts unless you bash them hard enough.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

All this crotchety anti-tattoo sentiment has motivated me to post my ink. This is my right leg, It's the middle of the winter here so I'm a bit pale. It's a mish-mash of 3 engravings by Guadalupe Posada plus my favorite guitar.

On the side of that aforementioned sentiment though, note the green "J" below the larger tattoo. That was a slightly inebriated choice to get my old band's logo inked on my leg before a gig. I'm not in that group anymore and I hate that green. Eventually It'll get covered.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I agree that most people do seem to get them for the shock factor. I fall into that maybe 20% of people that have tattoos but don't always display them openly.

I actually have 5 tattoos; they are easily covered up with a shirt. They are on my shoulders, chest, and back (between my shoulder blades...NOT a tramp stamp). The largest one (back) is maybe the size of my hand.

I went through a period where they were addicting, but I would always sit on a certain design for several months before deciding to get it.

I've seen people just spontaneously walk into a tattoo parlor and randomly pick out a design. Now that's just nuts...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Okay, here goes:

I am a healthcare executive. I have been playing drums since 1973. My inspiration is simply, to me anyway, the coolest drum beat in Rock & Roll history! It is the Reprise of Sgt Peppers. I got it December 30th and JUST had the last red ink added about 10 days ago. Here is the beat link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3iaxD8QqLw

I dig it and I hope you do too. Please listen to the ENTIRE Sgt Peppers album to understand the flow of the songs from the beginning to "A day in the life", the end.
Attached Images

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Silver Member

Well. I'm 15, and I've wanted this tattoo for the past 3 years.
I would like a full-size drum stick on the outside of my right leg (calf area to be exact). The stick will have chips and splinters, and will have tape on the bottom to represent years of playing and practice.
What do you guys think of tis idea? Good one?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwildman View Post
Well if your a chrisitan get two drum sticks in the shape of a cross. If you don't want that, or the parradiddle on the knuckles (Bad Ass idea), get some drum sticks and right below it put the letters W.M.D.s (Weapons of Mass Destruction)
I have a t-shirt that has exactly that. I will never understand the massive infatuation for tattoos. Seems like I can't watch any sporting event or concert without seeing athletes/musicians with over-the-top tattoos all over their bodies, including neck and heads.

When tattoos first started becoming popular, they used to be small and tasteful. Now they are as outrageous and visible as possible.

What miffs me is that I know a lot of people that can't pay their electric bill or mortgage, but are constantly getting new tattoos and smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes.

/rant off :)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I agree 100%.- tattoos can be a conversation starter, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person is more interesting, or for that matter, a better conversationalist.

I see very few people with visible tattoos in my engineering office. Same goes for piercings.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM

There are few designs of drum tattoo you can select any one if you like. http://drumbum.wordpress.com/2009/02...ummer-tattoos/
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
I agree 100%.- tattoos can be a conversation starter, but it doesn't necessarily mean the person is more interesting, or for that matter, a better conversationalist.

I see very few people with visible tattoos in my engineering office. Same goes for piercings.
same goes for my office as well. no thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

I have 3 tattoos and work as a paralegal. However, they can all easily be covered if going into a meeting or court. I don't think they necessarily make someone more interesting just by virtue of having them and if someone is getting one for the soul purpose of attention seeking then that's wrong. Each of mine has a personal meaning and I got them for me. Sure, I love it when someone comments on one but even if they didn't I love them for my own reasons. I was over 40 before I got my first one and each one has been thought about long and hard before permanently marking my body.

To each their own, I say.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a pic of my first tattoo and the one that is musically relevant although not specifically drumming. It's on my left outer calf. I call it The Magic Power of Music and it relates to the Triumph song which has always been special for me. Combined with my general love of music and, voila, there you go.

Bottom line, if you get one, get what's important to YOU, not what someone else says is cool or that they like. I can't tell you how many people who see mine who have never heard of Triumph or that song. I don't care, I know what it means and that's all that matters. Just think about it and consider all possibilities, especially on placement, before jumping in.

Okay, lecture over.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

I just got this super sweet tat. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also make sure to run a spell/grammar check...

Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Voodo Chile meeting No Women, No Cry...............:)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Who needs correct grammar/spelling... Might take away the "attitude". Also... the dude having the tattoo might actually not be up to deciding whether the grammar is right. Let's imagine he's not up to - then the tattoo would represent him in various respects and actually do him justice. You get what you deserve...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Ahahaha! Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Also make sure to run a spell/grammar check...

LOL :D!!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post

What miffs me is that I know a lot of people that can't pay their electric bill or mortgage, but are constantly getting new tattoos and smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes.

/rant off :)
Ain't that the truth. Especially neck tattoos. As a general rule, I've observed that the more tattoos someone has, and the more visible they are, they less disposable income they have to invest in tattoos, but they do it anyway.