DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 AM

Default Which heads would you use for recording?

I'm going in the studio soon and I'm in the process of experimenting with drum heads and finding that sound that fits my band's music and my kit. First off, I play original Hard / Classic Rock similar to bands like Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Deep Purple... you get the picture. Yet we bring a slightly modern sound to the mix.

My kit is a Ludwig Keystone, 13", 16" floor, 18" floor, and 24" kick. 6.5x14 Ludwig SS.

I want a deep, warm sound, yet not too vintagey, resonant, or ringy. I like moderate attack, not the cardboard box dead thud sound. I think Alex Van Halen's sound would fit the music well since it's hard rock yet modern sounding.

I can't decide which batter heads to use, I'll definitely be going with Remo Clear Ambassadors for resonants. I have a PS3 for the bass.

Batter contenders: Coated Emperor, CS Black Dots, Ludwig Silver Dots, Clear Pinstripes (on floors only).

So which heads would you use for RECORDING? I plan to keep experimenting, but I just want to hear any advice here. Many thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Which heads would you use for recording?

Picking from your list:

Coated Emperor

Should give you the sound you are looking for. Have fun in the studio, truly where the "rubber meets the road".
Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Of that list I'd say coated emperors too. Probably the most recorded head is a coated ambassador. Just a thought how about contacting the studio and asking their thoughts. Keep in mind they (usually) have 10's of thousands dollars in gear to fine tune the sound of your kit, gates, compressors,eq's and such. So having a bit more open sound for them to work with might be a better idea. Just something to think about.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If you are getting the sound from your drums that you like, IMO then that's your sound. I like a certain sound from my drums. Ringy, overtone laden, single ply 10 mil clear unmuffled heads, tuned to perfection. (Talking toms only here). I would not think of changing them for recording, that's my sound.

Do you like the sound you're getting from your kit before the whole recording topic came up? If so then record with them. A good engineer should be able to capture your sound, not change your sound so it makes his job easier. You may have to stand some ground protecting your tone. Engineers are known for taping and deadening drums to make it easier on them. Yuch. That tone went out in the 80's.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Use whatever you want and if it sucks, you can blame the engineer. That's what most guys do here do anyway ;)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Do you like the sound you're getting from your kit before the whole recording topic came up? If so then record with them...
That's my approach whenever I go in the studio, and that's definitely not often, also many pro drummer have the same set up live or studio. :-)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM

I actually don't like the sound I'm getting right now, which is why I'm looking to change. I currently have all vintage emps on my kit, and it sounds too vintage for the style of music I'm playing. I need that raw, low, deep, and focused sound of late 80's hard rock sound on the toms.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Coated Ambassadors. They sound amazing through mics, if tuned up well. I used Coated Emperors with my mega-loud rock band and they also sounded excellent...but not as "open" as Ambassadors.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumwiz View Post
I actually don't like the sound I'm getting right now, which is why I'm looking to change. I currently have all vintage emps on my kit, and it sounds too vintage for the style of music I'm playing. I need that raw, low, deep, and focused sound of late 80's hard rock sound on the toms.
That sort of short, fat sound with lots of attack? Powerstroke 3 heads are good for this on the toms. So are Pinstripes, but I absolutely hate how they sound acoustically, with no mics.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 PM
sticks4drums

Sorry, but I am going outside your list. l usually do. :) My choice would be Clear Emperors. I have coated Ambassadors on one of my kits at the moment, and although they have a nice bong sound to them, I don't think I would pic them for what you are looking for.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Use whatever you want and if it sucks, you can blame the engineer. That's what most guys do here do anyway ;)
Then I have to blame myself...I'll blame who ever the songwriter is for writing crap and expecting me to polish a turd for them.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Toms:
my vote goes to clear single ply heads top and bottom.
Between all the various tuning and dampening options this by far gives you the greatest flexilbility in the studio.

Snare:
Coated single ply
same reason: flexibility

Kick:
Evans Emad 1 batter, evans eq3 reso, small 4" port hole
Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Aquarian all the way

snare: coated studio x batter and classic clear snare side reso
toms: studio x batter and classic clear reso
bass: super kick and ported reso front

Keep a studio ring handy for the snare and a moon jell for the larger toms just in case, its much easier to kill some resonance than it is to add it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
audiotech

It's usually a single ply coated head over a single ply clear head for me, but sometimes the resonant head might also be a coated single ply head. I like a more focused better controlled sound for recording, even though my drums are fairly wide open with very little muffling. Another influence on the situation is the type of music you play and for what you're playing, I would probably go for a two ply clear over a single ply clear resonant head.

Dennis
Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I play original Hard / Classic Rock similar to bands like Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Deep Purple... you get the picture.
Coated Emperor batter, Clear Ambassador reso

Quote:
My kit is a Ludwig Keystone, 13", 16" floor, 18" floor, and 24" kick. 6.5x14 Ludwig SS.
DEFINITELY Coated Emperor batters!

Quote:
I want a deep, warm sound, yet not too vintagey, resonant, or ringy. I like moderate attack
Coated Emperors all the way.

Quote:
not the cardboard box dead thud sound. I think Alex Van Halen's sound would fit the music well since it's hard rock yet modern sounding.
Hmm...you contradict yourself here. "Not the cardboard box dead thud sound" and "Alex Van Halen's sound would fit". I suggest to drummers who want the Van Halen drum sound to cut out pieces of cardboard to fit over their drums. Also to buy the cheapest, boxiest-sounding entry-level snare you can buy, tune it to be extremely resonant, and then drop it off a 3 story building--usually that gets you in the Van Halen drum sound neighborhood.

I would go for the Coated Emperors for sure, though. You'll be excited by how they sit in the mix, as long as you're a heavy-hitter and you're primarily working with overhead mics. If you're trying to go for the close-mic sound, I'd opt for Coated Ambassadors, but if you want that big, modern/classic rock sound, go for the Emperors...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

i use the ones that sound good on my kit.... going into the studio and i'm using aquarian super 2's over classic clears, with a super kick 1, stock tama resonant (just bought a brand new one, its like a 2ply head with a plastic ring) and a focus-x on my snare, with aquarian snare side.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

No, no, no, no....You need to remove all your bottom heads, and then install clear black dots on everything. That's the sound you're really looking for ;)
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Remo Pinchstripes for the win :)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

whatever heads they give me, i'm not fussy
probably something aquarian though... or the classic G2 / G1 combo