DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Default Need some head, not literally

Hey guys, new to the forum and new to drumming

I just bought my first kit second hand and to be honest i only bought it for the shells. I managed to get a Mapex V series with evans g1 heads for 80.

Really unhappy with the heads and the standard hats and cymbals, so basically i have some shells to work with lol

Anyway I'm trying to decide between Sabian B8 hats and sabian 20" ride or some zildjan ZBT and 20" ride

Also wanting to change the heads to either Evans Onyx or Aquarian performance II

I know its not big money but its the best i can afford for my first kit, what would you guys buy or have you had any of these before and can tell me how they are, i like fast punchy funk like NERD and green day and will prob base my drumming style around this

cheers for any and all help and hope to get some advice from guys who know

mark
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need some head, not literally

Im definately an Aquarian lover but I find all 2 ply heads a bit dead for my taste, its a lot easier to tame a resonant drum with a studio ring or moon jell than it is to liven up a dead one. Also why not try to find a couple good used AA's or similar instead of the b8's as eventually you will want to upgrade but if you get 1 or 2 decent ones now you can add more later on as time goes on and funds become available.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 AM

i have seen the AA's but not knowing much about hardware i just kinda ignored them, there is some guys on flea bay selling second hand ones

worth a look ?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, AAs are professional cymbals and worth the look. B8s and ZBTs are beginner cymbals and, in my opinion, sound terrible. You can do a lot to a drum to improve its sound, but a cymbal will sound like what it sounds like pretty much forever (unless you drill huge holes in it or rivet it).
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Hi!
for drumheads i recommend the aquarians all the way. you can tune them low and they sound very good, or high and they sing. They are also very durable (ive never broken one, broken a lot of evans) and as i said before, can be tuned any way you want. When i bought my first, i tapped it in mid air with my finger and it was literally already ringing, highly recommend them.

As for the hi hats, i think you should explore around the misc cymbal companies sites (zildjian, sabian, mienl, paiste are big ones) and find some you really like, so that you dont have to replace a low end cymbal later on. But if you had to choose one or the other, i would say the sabian b8. It sounds a little better to me
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 AM

Just seen some istanbul mehmet radiant 13, anyone used those, seem to have a decent review

Bit of a mine field as i really want the best i can afford for the money i have
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

I'm a big fan of the AA line, have used them for years. And they're cheap used, cheaper than any other used pro cymbals.