DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-29-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Vater vs. Vic Firth

what would your preference be and why?

i have used VF and like them, but a friend has told me the Vaters don't chip from rimshots or break in general as easily as VFs...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vater vs. Vic Firth

I have Vater and Vic Firth but I personally cant tell about the VF because I did not use it enough. The Vater on the other hand, is really tough and was lasting longer than my Pro Mark. Vater is known for its durability and not mesing the hand/finger while sweating.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Vaters kick VF's arse. Much more durable and the feel is much nicer. Try the Stewart Copeland signature sticks.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 AM

1.Vaters
2.ProMark
3.VF

I also had a pair of 7a's that I broke that were pretty good but I forgot the name of them. They were kind of an orange yellow color and had black nylon tips. Anyone know what im talking about?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

I too have had much better results with Vater sticks, especially in comparison with Zildjian and also (but not nearly as bad) with Vic Firth.

I've only played one pair of Pro-Mark sticks (the one's I won from the Pro-Mark internet site, there's a thread floating around about it) and they broke in the middle after a rim-shot. A crack started in the middle of the stick and continued up to about an inch from the tip (running parallel to the stick) and then cracked in the center out (perpendicular to the stick).

I'll post a photo some time.

Biz
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM

First time i used vater sticks, which just happened to be a live gig, iw asn't prepared for the amount of bloody varnish on those things! Slipped right out of my hand after a rimshot. I still have that pair, i use them for practice, i sanded the grip area down to bare wood now. Also, the tip of the stick has cracke don both side of the 'acorn', leaving a flat acorn cross section which i have sanded back to near-round.

However, i prefered the Vic Firth sticks i was using for a while, though i even managed to break a pair of Bolero Firths, with a really thick shank, after about 6 months of constant playing.

I would rank them liek this:

1. Silverfox
2. Firth
3. Vater

Silverfox have had the best run with me so far, ive never broken a pair (still have my first pair of sticks!), they have great nylon ('delrin') tips that sound fantastic and come in a good array of sizes, most importantly, theyre made out of tough wood and have great quality control.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 PM

I tryed vater, and they were strong. I used a 5a and those things lasted like a 2b

But I hated the cut off butt end. I hold my sticks with the butt end and the bottom of my palm and they were the most uncomfortable sticks ever

VF, yea they dont last as long as a vater but they feel comfortable untill they chip or snap
Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yeah, I also have this feeling that VF are not as durable as Vater sticks...but anyway VF sticks are my favourite. My current pair is a pair of VF SD4 Maple for the kit and lighter playing, VF Dave Weckl sticks (the red ones) for pad practicing and soon Dave Weckl Evolutions again for the harder stuff.

oh, and what I also like very much are Regal Tip sticks. They make some very cool sticks!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

I've already gone through 4 pairs of sticks: One pair "No Names" (5B)(stolen from my school. When they broke half of the stick hit me in the eye.), Two pair Zildjian (5B) (Hated those things but they were $4 a pair. Split both of those), One pair VF (7A)(Great sticks... but I snapped those tips off), Now I'm on a pair of Vater Manhattans and I love the feel of these. I'm gonna try a few other brands out but thus far, my Vaters are my favorites. I also have a pair of Vater Brushes that are pretty fun to mess with.

I realize I go through alot of sticks, but A. My technique just kinda got to a point where I won't break sticks and B. I've been playing for like 4 hours a day quite often.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

I'm a Regal Tip guy, and I have had no problems with tips chipping or anything like that. But if I HAD to choose between Vic and Vater I think I would go with Vater. Vic's finish feels waxy and is really really slippery. I just can't hold on to them. That's another reason for going with Regal Tip. The finish is nice and thick and I can relax my grip without droping sticks. I have gotten so used to it that when I try to pick up any other brand it just slips out of my fingers. I would have to use grip tape for any other sticks.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM
X22

Vic Firth sent me a bunch of different models of sticks a few months ago for my evaluation. The finish between Vater and VF is nearly the same - almost none. I can't speak for the durability of the VF sticks because it takes me a while to wear out sticks. Once I put more miles on the VFs, I'll let you know.

I will say that VF's quality has improved from when I stopped using them.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I think sticks are just like heads and cymbals... a matter of personal preference but Iiked the Regal tip too, I have the Rock one. What's sad with Regal tips is it miss some different size and tips but they are coming out. I tried the Vater Fusion, New Orlean Jazz and Studio, I'm willing to try the Manhattan too but I'll get a new pair of Studio, they are very small in diameter but for light playing, they feel so good and sound awesome on the ride.

Here's my sticks collection, it miss some rimshot maple, RB maple (my christmas gift from my daughter), Trakk 7a Nylon tips, Generic 5a and no name sticks and mallet.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Yeah, I also have this feeling that VF are not as durable as Vater sticks...but anyway VF sticks are my favourite. My current pair is a pair of VF SD4 Maple for the kit and lighter playing, VF Dave Weckl sticks (the red ones) for pad practicing and soon Dave Weckl Evolutions again for the harder stuff.

oh, and what I also like very much are Regal Tip sticks. They make some very cool sticks!

Karl

I have been doing this for some time as well, and the funnt thing is that there really isn't much difference between those sizes, but the Combos really lend themselves to quieter playing.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-31-2007, 05:03 AM

Vater definitely beats out VF when it comes to quality and durability, my last pair of VF became kindling in a time period that I really wasn't too happy about. I now play with Pro - Mark, check them out too, I personally like them the best.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 AM

I love vater! I was playing pro marks for about the last 5 years, but my music store was out about 6 months ago so I tried some vaters and absolutley loved them. Every pair of vic firths I've ever had broke too easily, except for some 2b's that felt pretty awfull. The vaters take a really long time to break, but when they do they seem to break off completley (almost like they're cut) rather then splitting up the shaft like vic firths normally do for me. It's all personal preference on what feels better for you, but theres no question vaters will last longer.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I have been doing this for some time as well, and the funnt thing is that there really isn't much difference between those sizes, but the Combos really lend themselves to quieter playing.

Mike
Exactly. The Combos are my first choice for quieter playing. I`m now playing my third pair of them, so I play SD4 Combo for a half or 3/4 year now.
Usually I get tired when playing with the same stick so much, also over a long time but the SD4 just feel great. Will buy them again very soon. Maple and light, pretty thin.

And yes, there aren`t too many differences bewteen the SD4 and the Dave Weckl models but wow, such a small difference can affect your sound so much.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

I used to play VF .. definitely money wasted. I went through VFs like nobody's business, and I'm not that hard of a player. To put it in perspective.. my Zildjian Barker Signature sticks (Yeah yeah..) lasted longer than any pair of my VFs, and I've mentioned this before but the first time I played on my kit with my VF Steve Gadd sigs, half of the tip came off.

I've had Vater Manhattan 7As for three months, and I practice at least three times a week, averaging about 6-9 hours of practice a week. I play rock and funk, and sometimes jazz.. but until recently I haven't seen much of any wear on them. I think the one time they got beaten up was when I let my friend try them out. I also have a pair of Vater Shedders that are quickly becoming my new favorites. Yes, they're short and stubby, but they can take much more of a beating than the Manhattans, and I like the challenge of playing with sticks that I'm not really used to. Plus, they give me a sound that DEFINITELY cuts through the mix.

Vater, all the way.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
I used to play VF .. definitely money wasted. I went through VFs like nobody's business, and I'm not that hard of a player. To put it in perspective.. my Zildjian Barker Signature sticks (Yeah yeah..) lasted longer than any pair of my VFs, and I've mentioned this before but the first time I played on my kit with my VF Steve Gadd sigs, half of the tip came off.

I've had Vater Manhattan 7As for three months, and I practice at least three times a week, averaging about 6-9 hours of practice a week. I play rock and funk, and sometimes jazz.. but until recently I haven't seen much of any wear on them. I think the one time they got beaten up was when I let my friend try them out. I also have a pair of Vater Shedders that are quickly becoming my new favorites. Yes, they're short and stubby, but they can take much more of a beating than the Manhattans, and I like the challenge of playing with sticks that I'm not really used to. Plus, they give me a sound that DEFINITELY cuts through the mix.

Vater, all the way.
You've just raised my expectations for Vater Sticks, can wait to buy some soon.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

vater are cool .. but nothing compares to the Promark oak sticks IMO..
Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 AM

maybe i should join the witness protection program for saying this, but Vic Firth.

I've played a few Vaters, and they were so heavy, i couldn't stand them. Vics just seem to have such a nice bounce and response, and most importantly feel, whereas the Vaters felt more stiff. Naturally, i can see how someone might like that feel, but for me a not so much "softer" feel, but just a more responsive one. what i put into the stick, i get out of it.

the other problem i had with my vaters was that they broke. clean off at the shoulder, and yeah, i break sticks every once in a while (only about once every 2 months, with a rock gig at least once a week and practice beyond that), and shred them to no end, but to me, if you're going to drum enough to cause damage to a stick, you're gonna have to deal with it, and changing from a stick you like to one you don't just for durability's sake is stupid.

it could be that i haven't given them a fair chance, definitely going to try out a pair of those nudes. (tee-hee) but for me, there's nothing quite like getting a new pair of VF sticks, and playing your guts out with them, and feeling yourself connected to the drumset.

i do like those monster brushes though, but the normal brushes are awful, regal tip for those.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
fourstringdrums

I use Vater for wooden sticks. Vic's just feel more raw and unrefined to me...atleast that's the best way I can explain it. They also don't balance as well in my hand and I have a hard time finding a model I'm comfortable with. Vater's however seem like I can just pick up almost any model stick and it's comfortable in my hand.

However I do use Vic Firth Rutes. I tried the Vater equivilent and I didn't like them. Too flexy. I also have a pair of VF Jazz Brushes.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:11 AM

Vater! The future of drumsticks! I find them consistent, and extremely durable. I gave them a real thrashing with several rim shots for a whole one hour half after buying them and wow, minimum wear! They're definitely gonna last me a long time.

Actually Zildjian is more durable than Vic Firth in my opinion, but the quality seems mediocre so thats why changed to Vater. But I'll rank the three brands I've tried this way:

Quality:
1. Vater Percussion
2. Vic Firth
3. Zildjian

Durability:
1. Vater Percussion
2. Zildjian
3. Vic Firth

Haven't tried Pro-marks because where I live, the prices are really unreasonable.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
To put it in perspective.. my Zildjian Barker Signature sticks (Yeah yeah..) lasted longer than any pair of my VFs, and I've mentioned this before but the first time I played on my kit with my VF Steve Gadd sigs, half of the tip came off.
yeah but the barker sticks are good...i like them a lot, and i love the white finish.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM

ive played with many stick. to many to name. right now my stick of choice is vater fusions. they have the length i want and the round tip i want. pretty much if i had a signature stick it would be a fatter version of the fusions. i have yet to brake any of my vaters but thats because when a stick gets to worn down i get rid of it. i used to have promark 5as which i loved very much thats what i played for a while but they slintered in the middle and broke fairly quick. i have had a pair of dave weckle sig sticks for almost 8 years now. i used to play em every day now i hardly ever do cause they will probly break and they were my first real sticks(i know im a loser). so ive found that since ive played the vater sticks i havent broke any but that is mainly do to the fact that ive changed my style and techneque greatly. this thread has made me decide to go to guitar center hopefuly tomarrow and grab a pair of 5as from vater vic firth and promark and ill test them each for a week and at the end of the week ill get on here and post a review. hell i might as well through some zildjians in there too.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

Vic Firth SUCKS. I got a pair of 5A's and LITERALLY after 10 minutes of playing one of shattered into a million pieces. Im so upset with that company. Ive been using Vatar but today i bought 2 pairs. (1 pair of vatars and 1 pair of vic firth just to try them out). I will never buy them EVER again
Old 02-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091 View Post
Vic Firth SUCKS. I got a pair of 5A's and LITERALLY after 10 minutes of playing one of shattered into a million pieces. Im so upset with that company. Ive been using Vatar but today i bought 2 pairs. (1 pair of vatars and 1 pair of vic firth just to try them out). I will never buy them EVER again
DUDE! Today I bought a pair of 5A's and the same thing happened. I won't be buying Vic Firth, Pro mark or Zildjian ever again although I did order a pair of Jojo Mayer sticks yesterday too and they are Vic Firth... It's up to Vater and Regal Tip to do me justice now.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
DUDE! Today I bought a pair of 5A's and the same thing happened. I won't be buying Vic Firth, Pro mark or Zildjian ever again although I did order a pair of Jojo Mayer sticks yesterday too and they are Vic Firth... It's up to Vater and Regal Tip to do me justice now.

Really I invite you to try Los Cabos stick. They amaze me every time I use them now. They remind me Vater durability and mine are somewhat like Weckl size.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Really I invite you to try Los Cabos stick. They amaze me every time I use them now. They remind me Vater durability and mine are somewhat like Weckl size.
I love Los Cabos sticks!! But I can't find them in any of the stores near me! I'm going to order some off of the internet, if that's the only way. But yea man, I do love those sticks..and they're a Canadian company too.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Ive used Vic firth 5B from the very begging (till i started using 5BNs) and they have never shattered at all on me (yet :P) and reading about Vater sticks is starting to convince me to get a pair of 5Bs from them. I play alot around 3 hours a day (i play really heavy metal) and my VF have lasted on an avarage of one pair for about 2 and a half weeks. The tips break on the regular 5Bs but the nylon tips are great. Yes, they do chip alot but they have a very sturdy and solid feel even on their deathbed. Anyhow if this has helped anyone, cheers!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

I use a 5bn and have had the best luck with VF except for the lower priced nova line witch broke easily but have never had any complaints with the american classic line, with Vaters, Promarks, and Zildjans I have had problems with breaking, loosing tips, unbalanced sets and several sets being warped when buying by the brick. I have not had any problems with the quality or durability since switching to VF. I have never got a warped set, they are always perfectly matched, I have never had an american classic just brake they usually wear thin from the hats and the ends fall off or rim shots pulverize the wood till it gets spongy but only after many hours of playing. I have only lost one tip and even tho the sticks were over half worn out they still replaced them. For me VF is my stick of choice and know that I can buy a brick online from any supplier with the piece of mind that every stick in any brick I get will be top quality and l doubt very much that I will be switching brands any time soon. BTW on a side note I bought a VF wearable drum key back in august and while tuning a snare for a friend with a stiff lug the key split on the side, I emailed them a couple times with no response and when they finally answered my email several days later they were very apologetic for not responding earlier and not only did they replace the drum key they also sent me a new stick bag, clamp on stick holder, 1 set of sticks and 2 rudiment posters for my music room. In my opinion VF customer service is 110% just like the customer service Roy Burns gives with Aquarian heads and just one more reason why companies like these will be getting my business for many years to come.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

I used VF's for years. I have switched to Vater in the past year and I find them a bit more durable. I am a hard hitter and I chip sticks and break them fairly regularly. So the extra durability helps.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 AM

I prefer Vic Firth by a mile. I have tried Vater sticks on multiple occasions (Power 5A, 5A, 5B, Manhattan 7A, Chad Smith Funkblaster), and they do make very strong, durable sticks. However, I've found them to be extremely inconsistent in weight from pair to pair, and they always feel heavy and somewhat 'clubby' to me. My first priority when it comes to sticks is feel, and Vic Firth sticks just feel better to me, and I haven't had any durability issues with Vics either. One stick I do like by Vater is the Manhattan 7A, and I also have a fondness for Regal Tip sticks.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

I will break any Vic Firth stick within minutes of touching it. I don't know why, but VF and my hands just do not agree. I could be playing a ppppp snare drum solo and I would break them, so obviously I avoid VF sticks at all costs. I normally split them longways right along the grain, like they're laminated, not cut from a single block. Bizarre. I do not have this issue with any other brand of sticks, even generics. I think it's my general disdain for anything Boston that causes the problem.

I really like Vater. I think they are matched very well, weight and grain is very consistent. I've been using the Sugar Maple Fusion wood tip as well as the 5B Gospel - both are outstanding sticks. They feel good, sound good, and they last. I must admit though, that I mostly use Aquarian 7As - they last 12 months per pair and I don't have wood shavings all over my house.