DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Wood Snare Tuning

I've had a Tama Starclassic Bubinga 14 x 6.5" snare for a while now, and I still can't seem to get it to sound the way I want it. It is super ringy. Rather than wrestle with the problem alone, I thought I'd see how those of you who play wood snares approach your tuning.

I mostly like my snare to sound dry and crisp, the way it would if you were playing funk. But I do like the slightly lower "generic" rock tuning as well. The most elusive sound, however, is that low, warm, damp tuning. A good example would be the way Steve Jordan's snare is tuned on "Vultures" by John Mayer Trio.

I know wood snares are different, don't need a lesson there. Just interested in the tuning techniques you've found that work well with regard to wood snares.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Wood Snare Tuning

Wow, 56 views and no takers huh. Maybe there aren't as many wood snare gurus out there as I thought...
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Gold Member

I don't tune wood or metal snares any differently because they're wood or metal. Just crank up the bottom head tight for great snare response, tighten the top head to the feel you like, make sure all of the lugs are in tune with each other and tighten the snares where you still get snare response when you lightly tap the center of the batter head. That's it, that's the treatment all of my snares get no matter the size or shell material.
billbachman.net
Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Basically you need to tune low and muffle. If there's a trick, it's this - I think you will find you get less ring and overtones if you run the snare side head looser than you are used to. You might try starting with the top and bottom heads tuned to the same pitch, and tweak from there. One of my snares sounds great with both heads tuned to B flat. Low and fat.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrophluph View Post
Wow, 56 views and no takers huh. Maybe there aren't as many wood snare gurus out there as I thought...
Maybe they're busy gigging?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

What heads do you use? I've recently been using an evans ec edge control (batter) and a some pitches the drum is almost too dry, with no additional muffling. It is a Sonor 3007 in maple, but I don't know how that differs from bubinga.

If the sound you look for is like in vultures, tune low and use moongel or an O-ring.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

I put and Evans Genera dry on my Acrolite, and 16 strand Puresound concert snares. Very crisp, little ring. should work equally well on wood.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM

I've been using Evans Hazy 300 reso and Power Reverse Center for batter. I haven't tried moongel yet ... will do. Thanks for the ideas yall.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

O rings are good for that deep vultures sound, look at steve gadds tunings, he uses a remo powerstoke 3 most the time that has a ring built in. Really low tunings need quite heavy dapening.

For a crisp sound the snare wires are the key, getting the reso tight and in tune F to B, also i think stainless steel sounds more dry and crisp than other metals. Also i think a 3rd is a good interval either way between heads.

Also using a 200mil reso helps to dry a drum out and cut down on ring, i use remo heads so diplomat hazy, but evans do a 200mil hazy also.