DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old 10-01-2011, 03:24 PM
syoshii's Avatar
syoshii syoshii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Japan
Posts: 76
Default Tony using Paiste in 1972

Stan Getz's 1972 performance in Montreux, Tony on drums, was just released on DVD officially in Japan. Of course both video and sound are perfect, you can see and hear every detail.
And while watching it, I found that Tony was using Paiste cymbals, not Zildjian. I was surprised because I've never seen him playing cymbals other than Zildjian. Isn't it quite rare?
__________________
syoshii@Tokyo, Japan
Blog: http://syoshii.blog52.fc2.com/
Keep Alan Dawson's Legacy Alive!
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Tony burning the house down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE
I just saw this ... I was only ever a mild Tony fan and didn't understand the hero worship but ... wow ... unbelievable authority at speed and throwing out so many ideas ... now I geddit.

Funny to see those guys come on in suits like a swing band and then throw that wild stuff at the audience. They sure weren't wearing suits on the inside :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Billy Boy Billy Boy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Default Re: Tony Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFPLJ...eature=related

anybody seen this? absolutely killing clinic during a zildjian day from mid 80's... look for a young vinnie colaiuta in the audience watching in awe.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

Yeah, that clinic is great. It's been on YouTube before and gets taken down quickly, so it may not be there much longer.

I cannot recommend strongly enough the new Miles Davis Live In Europe 1967 set. The DVD is a revelation for those (like me) who have heard the records but never got to witness this band. The band is in terrific form and it's a priceless artifact for fans of any of the musicians. For me, as a Tony freak, getting to actually see how he attacks the ride cymbal and physically moves on the kit playing this stuff is just amazing.

Music never got any better than this.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Tony Williams

Wow! I just listened to Nefertiti for the first time, and I must say Tony's ride cymbal work
(or cymbal work in general) is one of the most captivating I've ever heard!

It's just awesome!! And the great cymbal sound doesn't hurt either :).
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM
haredrums's Avatar
haredrums haredrums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 476
Default Re: Tony Williams

Two things:

First I just found this great extended footage of Tony playing with Stan Getz. I have seen the clip of him soloing from this concert many times (on Drummerworld!), but I have never seen the whole concert which also features Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. Here are the clips.

http://youtu.be/xwNCvPPhUKQ

http://youtu.be/vLXjj2vHvtc

Great music, terrifying colors.

Second I just put a new blog post up about Tony's innovative drumming. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2011/1...own-voice.html
__________________
Check out my drum blog: http://haredrums.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM
TOMANO TOMANO is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 247
Default Re: Tony Williams

Beyond his work with Miles, Tony's musical vision as a composer was unique and inspiring, as well.

Check out his writing with his Lifetime band. Poetic, caustic, challenging and wonderful.

He also worked on PIL's Album. Extraordinary.

MT
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

One of my favorites. http://youtu.be/PsPzbvJKd5E

Tony's approach changed so quickly, but his work in 1963 and 1964 stands as the very pinnacle for me. Which is insane, considering he was like 17 or 18 during those recordings. He would become much more aggressive with the four-on-the-floor hi-hats and hitting a lot harder even just a couple years later. But around the time of this recording, he still had one foot very much in the earlier tradition and this made for a really exciting dynamic for me. If I could have the ability to play like one drummer, it would have been circa-1964 Tony.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

So, I've noticed that Gretsch doesn't list Tony on the Gretsch Masters page of historic artists.

Does anyone know if there's a back-story behind this? I can't believe there'd be such a huge oversight and I wonder if there was some bad blood when Tony switched to DW right before he died?

Regardless, Gretsch needs to put Tony Williams the f*** on this page.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 579
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
So, I've noticed that Gretsch doesn't list Tony on the Gretsch Masters page of historic artists.

Does anyone know if there's a back-story behind this? I can't believe there'd be such a huge oversight and I wonder if there was some bad blood when Tony switched to DW right before he died?

Regardless, Gretsch needs to put Tony Williams the f*** on this page.
I hope it's just an oversight. I just looked on their site and emailed them the same question (maybe a little more diplomatically than your last sentence :) ) but with the same sense of bewilderment.

After asking them why, I commented that when I think of Gretsch, I think of Tony's big, canary yellow set. Sincerely,...

If they email back with an excuse about Tony switching to DW, I'll suggest the following:

As far as "brand loyalty", Elvin played Tama and Yamaha, Max played Ludwig, Louis played Slingerland and Remo, Philly Joe played Premier, Art Blakey played Pearl & Premier and on and on. In fact I've a heard a quote (2nd hand) where Art said, "I'll play anything!"

-John
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I hope it's just an oversight. I just looked on their site and emailed them the same question (maybe a little more diplomatically than your last sentence :) ) but with the same sense of bewilderment.

After asking them why, I commented that when I think of Gretsch, I think of Tony's big, canary yellow set. Sincerely,...

If they email back with an excuse about Tony switching to DW, I'll suggest the following:

As far as "brand loyalty", Elvin played Tama and Yamaha, Max played Ludwig, Louis played Slingerland and Remo, Philly Joe played Premier, Art Blakey played Pearl & Premier and on and on. In fact I've a heard a quote (2nd hand) where Art said, "I'll play anything!"

-John
Heh, we're definitely on the same page on this :)

Yeah, I thought about how all those other jazz greats changed brands a long time ago. If anything, Tony probably stuck with Gretsch the longest. And I'd argue that his canary yellow set is the most iconic one they ever built.

I hope it's an oversight, too.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 579
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Heh, we're definitely on the same page on this :)

Yeah, I thought about how all those other jazz greats changed brands a long time ago. If anything, Tony probably stuck with Gretsch the longest. And I'd argue that his canary yellow set is the most iconic one they ever built.

I hope it's an oversight, too.
There's always a reason, it seems....

Here is their response this morning:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi John,
GREAT point!! I am going to look into it! I feel the same way you do!
Regards,
Gretsch Drums


And 45 minutes later:

Hi John,
This is from the Gretsch product manager..

“We did have Tony Williams listed on our website as a Gretsch great (which he
undoubtedly is), but were asked to remove his reference by the Tony Williams
estate. We respectfully – though regrettably – cooperated.”

Regards,
Gretsch Drums

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-John
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-09-2011, 03:56 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

Ah, okay. Well thanks for taking the time and trouble to sort that mystery out!
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
ryanlikealion ryanlikealion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 121
Default Tony Williams - where to start?

I am currently listening to the work of Hamd Drake, Elvin Jones, Max Roach and Tony Allen.

I also want to study the work of Tony Williams - can anyone recommend a starting point - e.g. best album?
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,946
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

I think the VSOP Quintet recordings are great. The earier stuff with Miles is awesome, but fairly abstract in terms of following the tunes AABA style... But I suppose if you are already listening to Hamid Drake, it might seem fairly straight. The VSOP recordings are just great examples of Tony's bag of "tricks". There are a couple of Miles recordings between the "Plugged Nickel" recordings and VSOP, but I can't remember them right now. Google could help me, but I'm trying to drink coffee.
__________________
http://www.gregvdrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Numberless's Avatar
Numberless Numberless is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

I'm listening to Miles Smiles right now and I'm digging it, check it out.
__________________
you inspire the ugliest things
drum vids-->http://www.youtube.com/user/Lastdragonrider88
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
ryanlikealion ryanlikealion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 121
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Wow quick replies. I'll check out these recordings.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,316
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikealion View Post
I am currently listening to the work of Hamd Drake, Elvin Jones, Max Roach and Tony Allen.

I also want to study the work of Tony Williams - can anyone recommend a starting point - e.g. best album?
Thats hell of a selection of drummers. Im really impressed by the fact that you mention Hamid Drake first. Good on you! Tony has a big catalogue, and I suggest you listen to all of it : ) Starting point, Sister Cheryl....


....
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

If you're up for a challenge, listen to 'Nefertiti' by Miles Davis. The ride work on that album is just fantastic and there's a beautiful contrast on the album from quite sparse to very dense playing. If I wanted to highlight Tony Williams on just one album, I would pick 'Nefertiti'. 'Riot' from that album is an absolute lesson on taste and ride interplay and 'Hand Jive' is a great example on varying cymbal tones for musical emphasis.

Incidentally, take Garvin on his word. There's a guy that really knows his stuff. I am merely a pretender!

If you don't have a Spotify account already get yourself an 'Unlimited' account. It's £5 a month and it is absolutely worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

I would strongly urge you to check out the Miles Davis The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four & More. This recording changed my life as a drummer.

Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 579
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Some great suggestions. Where to start is a good question- I haven't listened to + Four & More for a long time; that's as good a place as any and his ride playing alone should be framed. VSOP was the first album where I heard Tony's playing. I was listening to a lot of fusion/prog rock music at the time, and (for me) he blew all of those type of players out of the water.

Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch, shows an abstract side to Tony, who was only 18 at the time of the recording. The way breaks up the time is uncanny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDhd...eature=related

Also, to get a better idea of where he was coming from, you could listen to the people he was heavily influenced by: Art Blakey (his sense of swing), Max Roach (his technique and melodic sense), Philly Joe (his creativity), Roy Haynes (the way he spread the time) and Alan Dawson (who helped formally develop his playing). I would mention Elvin, except that I hear a kind of parallel development in their playing.

And as a baby boomer who came of age in the '60s, he was influenced by the Beatles and a lot of rock drummers like Moon, Bonham & Charlie Watts (who certainly idolized him). You can hear how their approach crept into his playing in some of his later Lifetime stuff.

Oh yeah- don't forget the bass players. From Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Dave Holland and Jack Bruce- he always had the best. Here's another favorite of mine. Like most of his work, he plays like it's the last time he'll ever pick up a pair of sticks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MY5ibtfJXA

-John

Last edited by JohnW; 12-27-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Used the word "work" too many times!
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

JohnW, great call on Out To Lunch. Gazzelloni is another favorite of mine from that one.

Here's one I've been listening to on heavy rotation in the car lately, and it occurs to me that it has almost everything I love about Tony on full display.



There was something magical for me about that 1964-1965 period of Tony, especially the Blue Notes. He was very prolific during this time and he immediately hit the ground with innovation, taste and technique fully formed.

This was before he really started using the quarter note hi-hat pulse, the blushdas and the bigger drums. His ride cymbal playing on the uptempo numbers like The Eye of the Hurricane is epic. Tony was still using his left foot mostly for those little "and" notes or splashes and his bass drum still had that resonant, higher-pitched tone. But his playing on Dolphin Dance is Tony just playing an easy swing tempo with so much taste and no reliance on repetition or licks. Tony's solos are tasteful throughout.

I just think this is not only one of the greatest jazz recordings but also Tony at his absolute peak.

By 1966, I think his playing was already drastically different, as ridiculous as that sounds. And there was a whole other greatness in his playing during the next phase, but this one really resonates with me for some reason.

Here's The Eye of the Hurricane: http://youtu.be/oQ9V22hnYyQ
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,946
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch, shows an abstract side to Tony, who was only 18 at the time of the recording.
Oh man, I totally forgot about that album... I gotta go dig that up when I get home.
__________________
http://www.gregvdrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,421
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I would strongly urge you to check out the Miles Davis The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four & More. This recording changed my life as a drummer.

+1 - An Absolute Must!!! So much of that early Blue Note as already said.

More recent one's that can be found (perhaps not so easily) is "Tokyo Live". Wallace Roney is on it.

A couple others would be Story of Neptune and Young At Heart.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Gary Husband's Avatar
Gary Husband Gary Husband is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 54
Default Re: Tony Williams

Some samples of the forthcoming new album - including the Tony Williams tribute on the track "Fred" with Allan Holdsworth, Jan Hammer and Jimmy Johnson.
I hope you enjoy!

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25412
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Gary Husband's Avatar
Gary Husband Gary Husband is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 54
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Some samples of the forthcoming new album - including the tribute to my hero Tony Williams on the track "Fred" with Allan Holdsworth, Jan Hammer and Jimmy Johnson.
I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25412
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Cuban's Avatar
Cuban Cuban is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wherever I Lay My Hat
Posts: 194
Default Re: Tony Williams - where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Husband View Post
Some samples of the forthcoming new album - including the tribute to my hero Tony Williams on the track "Fred" with Allan Holdsworth, Jan Hammer and Jimmy Johnson.
I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25412
Wonderful Gary!
Fred is one of my all time favourite tracks (thanks to Phil Collins introducing it to me!)

Looking forward to the album - best of luck with it!
__________________
ENDORSING DUALLIST PEDALS | KITS INCL: PHIL COLLINS PEARL, PINK FLOYD DW, NATAL | WEB: BACK BEATING
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 579
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Husband View Post
Some samples of the forthcoming new album - including the Tony Williams tribute on the track "Fred" with Allan Holdsworth, Jan Hammer and Jimmy Johnson.
I hope you enjoy!

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25412
I like this sampler a lot; you mix up a bunch of styles. From the brief selections, I think my favorite is track 2 Rolling Sevens(?). It reminds me of Hendrix's Band of Gypsys.

-John
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

1964 was an incredible year for Tony. He was like 18 years old when he recorded most of this music, but it remains my favorite period for his playing (along with the adjacent years 1963 and 1965). Look at the seminal records he made that were released in this one year alone:

Tony Williams - Lifetime
Miles Davis - Four & More + My Funny Valentine
Miles Davis - Miles In Tokyo
Miles Davis - Miles In Berlin
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

I mean, these are some of the most important jazz records of all time. And this young genius comes around and accomplishes all this in one year. My goodness.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
NerfLad's Avatar
NerfLad NerfLad is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 658
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
1964 was an incredible year for Tony. He was like 18 years old when he recorded most of this music, but it remains my favorite period for his playing (along with the adjacent years 1963 and 1965). Look at the seminal records he made that were released in this one year alone:

Tony Williams - Lifetime
Miles Davis - Four & More + My Funny Valentine
Miles Davis - Miles In Tokyo
Miles Davis - Miles In Berlin
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

I mean, these are some of the most important jazz records of all time. And this young genius comes around and accomplishes all this in one year. My goodness.
1964 was a magical year for post-bop in general. Wayne Shorter put out Speak No Evil with Elvin that year!
__________________
Not banned (yet)
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: Tony Williams

See below:

“A drummer like Tony comes around only once in 30 years.” – Miles Davis
__________________
Thank you so much...
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,711
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
1964 was a magical year for post-bop in general. Wayne Shorter put out Speak No Evil with Elvin that year!
This is true.

What I marvel about is how Tony's playing had already changed by two years later. His approach on Miles Smiles, released in 1966, is almost unrecognizable to the Blue Notes. He had started the quarter note pulse on the hi-hats and his sound changed considerably.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 AM
matthughen matthughen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: Tony Williams

Tony laying down some serious foot in this 1988 solo I just posted on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQuukutEROM
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,421
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughen View Post
Tony laying down some serious foot in this 1988 solo I just posted on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQuukutEROM
Wow - thank you!
Any more of this show? One of my favorite groupings.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM
matthughen matthughen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Wow - thank you!
Any more of this show? One of my favorite groupings.
I have uploaded the whole show at DIME recently so it is still very well seeded:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=413507

A Spanish TV broadcast of The Tony Williams Quintet performing at the Andorra Jazz Festival on July 15, 1988. There are a dozen or so skip-like glitches most of which occur during 24-27 minute portion and a few scattered others. The video is washy and generated but essentially enjoyable and very watchable. If you have an upgrade, what are you waiting for? This performance is new to DIME AFAIK.

Duration: 0:48:37
Data Size: 1.94 GB
Bit Rate: 5.71 Mbps

Video Tracks:
224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 7.00 Mbps, lower field first

Audio Tracks:
160 PCM stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps

solo
Red Mask
Ancient Eyes
solo
Geo Rose
solo
Civilzation
Life of the Party

Tony Williams - Drums
Billy Pierce - Tenor Saxophone
Wallace Roney - Trumpet
Mulgrew Miller - Grand Piano
Bob Hurst - Double Bass

Upped at DIME by Matt Hughen.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Timothy Burt Timothy Burt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Default Re: Tony Williams

FIRST, I have been absolutely dismayed that with ALL the INCREDIBLE, HIGHLY connected, influential musicians Tony played with, NOT ONE could produce a tribute to him.
WHAT A JAM SESSION THAT WOULD BE! Why hasn't this happened? I heard his widow was sitting on the rights to everything. Is that it? HELP! ANYONE?
Also, does anyone know if there's video footage of the live version of OPEN FIRE from the Joy of Flying album? I would love to see that!
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: Tony Williams

My favorite drummer of all time. I got to see him in clinic shortly before he passed. I barely knew who he was and had just heard him on some Miles recordings. His power and sheer command of that kit floored me. There will never be another one like him.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,312
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
My favorite drummer of all time. I got to see him in clinic shortly before he passed. I barely knew who he was and had just heard him on some Miles recordings. His power and sheer command of that kit floored me. There will never be another one like him.
nothing like him before or since

not even close
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Mike Stand's Avatar
Mike Stand Mike Stand is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: France
Posts: 133
Default Re: Tony Williams

I've had Nefertitti playing in my car for months now. Now ideal for the acoustics, but my work commute is the only time I have to really soak in the compexity of it all.

But, honestly, nobody "gets" Tony the first time they hear him, right?

Took me a while to come round to jazz, and even then I had to first absorb the more straight forward harbop stuff before getting into those '60s Miles records.
I think I actually bought Nefertitti and other Miles albums a few years ago and subsequently traded them in!

Boy am I glad that I finally got it! I think I do anyway... in any case, I certainly enjoy Tony's sound and playing, that's what counts.

Still, I'd be interested to know how you all came to be Tony fans, was it obvious from the start or was it a long journey via other drummers and music?

It honestly scares me to think that I could have gone to my grave never having appreciated "that" ride sound!
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,312
Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
I've had Nefertitti playing in my car for months now. Now ideal for the acoustics, but my work commute is the only time I have to really soak in the compexity of it all.

But, honestly, nobody "gets" Tony the first time they hear him, right?

Took me a while to come round to jazz, and even then I had to first absorb the more straight forward harbop stuff before getting into those '60s Miles records.
I think I actually bought Nefertitti and other Miles albums a few years ago and subsequently traded them in!

Boy am I glad that I finally got it! I think I do anyway... in any case, I certainly enjoy Tony's sound and playing, that's what counts.

Still, I'd be interested to know how you all came to be Tony fans, was it obvious from the start or was it a long journey via other drummers and music?

It honestly scares me to think that I could have gone to my grave never having appreciated "that" ride sound!
I first heard Tony in the mid 1980s .....a friend played me a Lifetime record...I think it was Emergency!
I wasn't really into it at the time ...but I loved the drumming

I went on to seek out more of this guys playing and Boom!!....mind blown!

first I found Seven Steps To Heaven and lost it...I was obsessed

some of my favorite Tony recordings in case you have not heard them....please...PLEASE!!! check them out

Jackie McLean - Vertigo
Jackie Mclean - One Step Beyond (both of which he is 17 on......FIRE! )

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure
Wayne Shorter - the Soothsayer
Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

funny story real quick

I was attending IAR in NYC around 1993 or '94
one rainy morning around 7:30 I was walking across 6th ave on my way to school and who walks past me crossing in the opposite direction and just about rubs shoulders with me wearing a full length leather trench coat, black leather gloves and a Kangol hat smoking a big thick cigar ?

Tony Williams

I became speechless and spun around as he passed and all that came out of my mouth was ....."Tony Williams!"....

he turned his head and smiled with the stogie in his mouth and gave a thumbs up never breaking stride ........I on the other hand got side swiped by a cab and fell on my ass in the middle of a wet 6th ave.

all worth it

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 09-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com