DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default I break tips not sticks

Hi there, I've slowly worked my way through a 10 pack of Vic firth Greg bisonette sticks and I think it may have something to do with the fact that I've been working on my technique alot but suddenly they don't suit me as much anymore and it's prob time for a change. I've been rockin these for prob 5+ years.

Anyway I play loud but obviously I'm not a heavy hitter because I haven't broken a stick in years, all I seem to get is tip chipping which makes the sticks horrible to use, bouncing off in random directions..it's quite sad that I have to discard a pair of otherwise perfect sticks. Occasionally I'll get some peeling where I rim shot but not very often.

I had a look at a few this afternoon and for some reason I had the idea that round/ball type wooden tips might be stronger than the usual oval shape... What's the deal? I hate the sound of nylon tips on my ride so forget those.

I liked pro mark 5bs (lighter than I expected), Aaron spears (with the weird undefined peanut looking tip) and vater rock, probably in that order but I had a flick through some threads before and apparently pro mark aren't so pro?? I have no idea.

What tips should I be going for? Or what sticks?

P.s I'm aware that I come off a bit pedantic ;)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: I break tips not sticks

how long do they last?

when im in studio i'm happy with 2 hours... when not i'm happy with 1~2 weeks....
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Use nylon for practice and wood for all the other times.
Thats what I do.
The cymbals wear the wood away and there is no getting around it.
I use Vic Firth maple for Jazz and they seem to dent at the tips before they splinter.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Rebel

You have got one of the answers already. Sticks with round beads/tips are great for cymbal articulation and they last a bit longer (in terms of chipping)...depending on the usage!

Well-known drummers as Ian Paice, Simon Phillips...and so on - play with round bead sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I had a look at a few this afternoon and for some reason I had the idea that round/ball type wooden tips might be stronger than the usual oval shape... What tips should I be going for? Or what sticks?
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
how long do they last?

when im in studio i'm happy with 2 hours... when not i'm happy with 1~2 weeks....
I dont understand why you would or how you can hit that hard, it's not like it sounds better. My sticks might last me a few (up to 3-4) months before the tips get all square but I'll have premature mishaps sometimes. Your situation makes mine look petty but tips are the Achilles heel in my sticks.

Bob I just hate plasticky nylon. I saw some metal tipped sticks today too but there's no way I'd touch my kit with them.

Edit: thanks Ian, that's my most important question answered, I'll go back and choose some with round tips. I really like how they sound on cymbals too, it sounds alot neater to my ears!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Rebel

Your welcome brother! I found those wooden round tips have an excellent cymbal sticking.

Quote:
Edit: thanks Ian, that's my most important question answered, I'll go back and choose some with round tips. I really like how they sound on cymbals too, it sounds alot neater to my ears!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Likewise. I tend to splinter the tips long before the stick ever breaks too. I've used a round tip for a long time now and they still shred way after a bit as well. That's just what sticks do......the price you pay when you continually bash a piece of wood against a piece of metal. Wood is always gonna come off second best from that battle.

Nothing lasts forever.....least of all heads and sticks. That's just the cost of doing business mate. Until we learn to accept the sound of a nylon tip (I destest them on my cymbals too) there's not much more to be done than buy a new pair.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

What about lacquering the tips and repeat this in some intervals? (Some sticks come with a lacquered tip from stock.) I don't have any experience in this since I'm practicing on pads but I would give it a try and use nail polish to save sticks.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

I often have to dump sticks since my tips chip. I know that happens if you ride your cymbals a lot via the tip. Chipped tips do a number on your skins as well.

I use the Regal Tip sticks and have heard great things about their "E" series. They are the nylon tips that are slotted. Supposedly, they have much less of a nylon attack, and closer to wood. Being nylon, they should withstand more bashing. I'm going to pick some up, now that I've just come across these.

http://www.regaltip.com/products/dru...---600--x-16--
Old 12-15-2011, 05:13 PM

I break tips not sticks

That's what she said...

(couldn't resist)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Hi Dre

Well +1 for the round tips, they seems to last that little bit longuer.

Another factor for sturdiness and longeivity of a drum stick is the type of wood they're crafted from.

The most popular woods are Maple, Hickory and Oak. (from a light to a heavier density), with this in mind, maple sticks are more "fragile" while oak sticks are the "strongest" of these 3 type of woods.

I use to play Pro-Mark 707's Simon Phillips in the past, they originaly came on the market as oak sticks before moving to hickory nowadays. The oak sticks lasted much longer, but were heavier.

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 PM

So your positive you dont want to practice with nylon tips and then record or play live with wood? That should save you some money.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Drummer View Post
So your positive you dont want to practice with nylon tips and then record or play live with wood? That should save you some money.
It's not so much about money as it is about wastage, and it's really not a huge deal but while I'm choosing some new sticks I best choose carefully because I'm going to be buying a brick of them and then I've got them for a very long time.

And yes to answer your question I hate the sound of nylon on ride cymbals... too pingy and glassy and the stick feel sucks too.

Thanks a bunch for all the responses.. I'll take my GB's in and start comparing. I'll let you know what I run with.

xx
Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Rebel

Now we are talking about playing some beauties! I consider wooden tip sticks as the better fit to play Giant Beats and if they are rounded so much the better.

Cheers!

Quote:
.. I'll take my GB's in and start comparing. xx
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's not so much about money as it is about wastage, and it's really not a huge deal but while I'm choosing some new sticks I best choose carefully because I'm going to be buying a brick of them and then I've got them for a very long time.

And yes to answer your question I hate the sound of nylon on ride cymbals... too pingy and glassy and the stick feel sucks too.

Thanks a bunch for all the responses.. I'll take my GB's in and start comparing. I'll let you know what I run with.

xx
Alright. Then if I had to reccomend some wood tip sticks, I would say either some barrel tips like the Vater Studio, or Tommy Igoe's sig stick by Vic Firth. It has like a ball tip, but it is stretched out a bit at the top. I dont know if that makes it an acorn or what, but I love the punchiness and rebound it produces. The Vater Studios also are punchy and have good rebound
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I've chosen some vater power 5b's. I might grab some Virgil Donati assaults tomorrow too and maybe a 3rd pair of something else so I can dick around for a while but already these have made me realize the Greg bisonette's I'd been using are just too heavy for me, I'm not going back. Doing some double stroke rolls tonight it almost felt like I was cheating but f#%k it, drums are hard to play and I should make it as easy as I possibly can.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

The tips of the sticks I used to play often "soft" after considerable playing. Since I switched to Regal 5B Maples (suggested by another drummer friend who is in music retail) I have been very happy with the tips. Earlier this week I was playing a gig and I pulled out a new pair just to compare them with a pair I have been playing for about 6 months. Aside from the usual nicks in the shaft, I couldn't tell the difference between them, especially the sound of the tips. As long as I can get them, I will never play another model.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 AM

I love to use the Vic Firth 5B Black drum sticks. I have a habit of chiping the tips, But I love the way they feel so I use them for lighter rock and practice. However, when I play the heavier stuff, I use Vater 3B fatbacks. Has anyone had a problem with those breaking yet? Also, I am switching to Vic Firth 5B rock sticks, any complaints on those from anyone?