DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Default used Roland TD7, need advice in completing set

I bought a used TD7 set online from Guitar Center for my 11 y/o for Christmas. It's for her dad's house, as she plays a 5pc Gretsch Nighthawk at mine. He won't tolerate an acoustic set at his place.

It came with the controller, a stand, and 6 pads (one larger, the bass I assume). However, there are no pedals/beaters. And she is used to 8 pieces (5 plus HH, crash, ride). How do I go about completing this set for her, and are different models interchangeable with the controller? Also, do I just get separate cables for each addition and what are they called/what type? All help appreciated as I am not a drummer and she's only 11 and been playing for one year only.
THANKS!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: used Roland TD7, need advice in completing set

Hey man, that was my first introduction into electronic drums. I played one of those for about 10 years, Did you just get the rack, pads, and sound module. No cables?

The bigger pad is probably a PD9. That is for the snare. If you did not get any cables, you will need to get a bunch of stereo 1/4" cables the right length, from module to pads. Set up all the pads first and then see how many, and how long for the cables. It should of come with a down firing kick trigger, called a KD7. You would need a bass pedal to attach to this, and the roland special beater for it. If you did not get a KD7, I would recommend getting an upright mesh head bass trigger for her. Much better feel, and less noise.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 PM
sticks4drums

Something like this kick pad.http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...37&ParentId=99
Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks, sticks. The bigger pad is a TD-9 (according to the label on the pad). Use is for her snare?

The pad you mention....is it a complete set? Pad, pedal and beater?

The set she got has 5 TD-7 pads, and one TD-9 pad, so still a little confused about what I should get to make her set complete for her (3toms, 1 bass, 1 snare, HH, crash, ride).

thanks!!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Sounds like you have all rack mount rubber pads. One of the TD7's is intended for the high hat I believe.
So the kit did not come with a high hat control pedal, or a kick pad?

Here is a picture of what the complete TD7 set looks like:
http://www.hollowsun.com/donations/td7/td7.jpg

The way it looks to me the way the picture is setup, it's arranged as follows: PD9 for the snare, and the PD7's for the two rack tom's, PD7's for the HH and crash and two PD9'd for floor toms and a KD7 for bass and a HH pedal.

What I would do for your situation is the PD9 for the Snare, the PD7's for all your tom's, and you can even add in an extra floor tom. That leaves one PD7, you can use it for the high hat, or you can get something that actually looks and acts somewhat like a cymbal.

For the HH the CY5 is your best bet

For the Crash and Ride, go with the CY8, they aren't terribly expensive and both the cy8 and cy5 have dual triggering. If you get the CY8 and or the CY5 you'll need a dual triggering cable, and not a standard 1/4" cable.

For the bass get a KD9

For the HH pedal get a FD8

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ has all of these extra pads on their web site, except for the CY5 and the KD9.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 AM

Thanks so very, very, very, much. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I can figure this all out now. Even found places that sell extra L rods in case I find some pads that don't come with them.