DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Default Recommend a snare head

Hey guys

I'm looking to replace my snare batter head. I play a Tama metal works 14x5.5" snare, play rock/pop music and I'm looking for that nice dry sound.

Thanks in advance :)
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recommend a snare head

I am assuming you mean a batter head for your snare drum, but if you mean the snare side head, I will provide a recommendation for that as well. You did not offer up a Manufacturer preference, so I will advise on manufacturers I have had good luck with.

If you are looking for lack of ring , meaning a very dry sound with a lot of crack you could look into either the Aquarian Focus X batter or an Evans Dry batter head. Both of these heads have small pinholes punched in around the circumference of the head that really reduces the ring a lot.

If you are a heavier hitter you could look into the Evans ST dry , which is a two ply head with the pinholes.There is also an St head without the pinholes. You could also look into the Aquarian Hi Energy batter head, it has a ring around the edge and a fabric dot in the middle.
Very durable and they sound good.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

Check out the Evans HD Dry, if you want to eliminate overtones and excess ringing.
IT WILL DRY OUT THE TONE THOUGH, so beware! Gives a very clean, bright crack/pop with each hit. Definitely a strong consideration for metal, steel snares.

I've also used the ST (not the DRY) and it gave some excess overtones I didn't care for.
The HD Dry has holes in the perimeter AND an internal control ring as well around the edge.

I know Aquarians have some great heads. I use them on my toms. Here is the Evans website where you can sample some audio clips for a better idea. They're pretty close to the real thing - IMO.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvDrum...?ActiveId=3589
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Okay, thanks. Im quite a hard hitter so I shall try out the ST dry :)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Aquarian coated studio x or focus x, the focus x is a bit too dry for my liking, I use the studio x and alternate between adding a studio ring or not depending on the sound I need for the particular song I am covering, also the classic clear snare side is a great reso to pair with either of those heads.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

I have the st dry on my 8 x 14 Black Magic and it still has some ring so I also use a moongel and sometimes a ring to control the overtones. I have found not to many heads alone will eliminate overtones on a metal snare.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Some good ideas here, but may I suggest another point. I notice a lot of posts in various threads of people with steel or comparable shells who are trying to eliminate ring, excess buzz, or whatever by adjusting heads. This will help, but really, we often need to step back for a moment and remember that a snare drum is the sum of it's parts, and no amount of adjustment in one arena will fix the whole. Stop and rethink what you want.

If you want a dry sound, don't look at steel. Look more at aluminum, some woods, copper, bronze, or hammered configurations. Then look at the heads to compliment what you want. But don't stop there! pay more attention to snare types and strand counts. Th edrum is the sum of its parts! Tinkering with heads only will not get you all the way home!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 AM

I swear by the evans ST dry, and have a thin E ring on it, which I tape down. The tape doesn't do much dampening, but keeps the E ring from falling off. Especially helpful if you have people helping you move your drums who have no idea what they're doing, and carry it upside down, losing your E ring in the middle of a field at an open air festival at night.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Gold Member

I just replaced the head on a PDP Ace snare (6 1/2 x 14 - Nickel plated brass). I just picked up this snare on sale at a Bestbuy where it sat on the shelf and got it's share of stick action. I put on an Evans ST.

I've got it cranked a little tight, but WOW! It actually sounds really nice. Great crack to it, and not too much ring. Like mandrew suggested, you're always gonna have some ring to a metal snare unless you mega moongel the edge on top of a dry head.
Can't beat the higher tone and crack of the metal though...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
I have the st dry on my 8 x 14 Black Magic and it still has some ring so I also use a moongel and sometimes a ring to control the overtones. I have found not to many heads alone will eliminate overtones on a metal snare.
The Engineers in the 70's would have loved you.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Aquarian coated studio x or focus x, I find the focus x a bit too dry for some songs so I use a studio x and then add a studio ring when I need that dryer sound or remove it when I dont.