DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 PM
benadrian's Avatar
benadrian benadrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 50
Default Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

I did a search for this and I apologize if it's been covered elsewhere and I just didn't find it.

I love the look and ease of a bass drum mounted cymbal stand. My new kit came with one, and I was very happy about that fact. However, after receiving it, there are two big issues.

1. the stand is pretty crappy
2. it doesn't go high enough.. it's about 4 inches too short.

So, I'd like to get a nice replacement. the problem is, I can't find them anywhere, at least not online to even get a price idea.

I like the look of the DWSM770, but my drum has a Ludwig bracket on it, so if the hole patterns don't match, I don't want to have to drill any more holes.

Other than that, I don't know where to go or what to look for. I did find a stand on drumbuilder.com, but I couldn't really assess anything about it. Plus, this whole thing feels a bit silly as I've used a straight floor stand for years, and it's not like it's ever given me any issues.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Age old problem. The Ludwig cymbal L-arm mount is typically/traditionally a floor tom leg mount. And also used with the fold out spurs on the old kicks. The new Ludwig catalog I just picked up at NAMM doesn't show 1 kit with that feature. Nor do they show it as a hardware item. I guess fewer and fewer people want that feature. You've probably gonna have to play the old eBay vintage parts hunt. Lots of cats used to place a second mount in tandem with the first, for extra holding power. How long of an L-arm you have right now, I don't know. Perhaps you already have to longest they make, in which case you might need to have one custom made for you.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,349
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Age old problem. The Ludwig cymbal L-arm mount is typically/traditionally a floor tom leg mount. And also used with the fold out spurs on the old kicks. The new Ludwig catalog I just picked up at NAMM doesn't show 1 kit with that feature. Nor do they show it as a hardware item. I guess fewer and fewer people want that feature. You've probably gonna have to play the old eBay vintage parts hunt. Lots of cats used to place a second mount in tandem with the first, for extra holding power. How long of an L-arm you have right now, I don't know. Perhaps you already have to longest they make, in which case you might need to have one custom made for you.
I was just checking out that catalog and it still lists a shell mount cymbal holder. I think it's L1372.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

...Gibralter makes one.

it looks like this.



This thing will go halfway up to the bloody ceiling, and it does fit a Ludwig cymbal arm and bracket.

I use the DW cymbal arm , plus a couple of different home made ones. to see them, you can check out some of the other pictures that I have posted. Maybe you may get an idea that you can use.

If it is a longer L Arm that you need, I may have a spare.

Good Luck in your search.

barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

How about the traditional style Ludwig ones; still in the catalogue and still for sale on the web, so I'm sure you can get them from stores too.

http://www.wwbw.com/Ludwig-Shell-Mou...-i105522.music
__________________
Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
Vamanos! Vamanos!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

You may be able to remove the legs tube from your cymbal stand and just put the top part of the stand down into the bass drum. That's what I used to do.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 AM
benadrian's Avatar
benadrian benadrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 50
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Gibralter makes one.
If it is a longer L Arm that you need, I may have a spare.

Good Luck in your search.

barry
Barry. I was looking through your photo album yesterday. Very nice, and it makes me realize that I really do think the DW looks classy and seems to have the most function.

I also should mention that I have a 20" kick, and the mount seems to be a bit more down and to the side than most. Because of this, I think it leaves a result of the too-low cymbal, where as if it was in the normal place, it would be just high enough for me.

Also, the wingnut, cymbal holder part is kinda cheap. I think it IS and actual old ludwig. It looks like the drawing in the catalog. However, I just feel that it will disintegrate if I did try to use it on a regular basis.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 AM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
Barry. I was looking through your photo album yesterday. Very nice, and it makes me realize that I really do think the DW looks classy and seems to have the most function.

I also should mention that I have a 20" kick, and the mount seems to be a bit more down and to the side than most. Because of this, I think it leaves a result of the too-low cymbal, where as if it was in the normal place, it would be just high enough for me.

Also, the wingnut, cymbal holder part is kinda cheap. I think it IS and actual old ludwig. It looks like the drawing in the catalog. However, I just feel that it will disintegrate if I did try to use it on a regular basis.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian
...have you checked the hole spacing between the Ludwig bracket and the DW ?

I have used Collar Lock, DW, Gibralter, and Ludwig brackets on different drums. Some of the spacings are close enough that all you have to do is ream the existing holes with a conical drill bit file. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will go through some of my rat piles and see what I can find. I know that I have a Ludwig , Gibralter, DW, and Collar Lock bracket somewhere. If the Luddy and the DW are close, you may be good to go.

Barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
benadrian's Avatar
benadrian benadrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 50
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...have you checked the hole spacing between the Ludwig bracket and the DW ?

I have used Collar Lock, DW, Gibralter, and Ludwig brackets on different drums. Some of the spacings are close enough that all you have to do is ream the existing holes with a conical drill bit file. I am at work right now, but when I get home, I will go through some of my rat piles and see what I can find. I know that I have a Ludwig , Gibralter, DW, and Collar Lock bracket somewhere. If the Luddy and the DW are close, you may be good to go.

Barry
That would be awesome!

Thanks so much!

Ben
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I was just checking out that catalog and it still lists a shell mount cymbal holder. I think it's L1372.
My bad, page 32. Bottom right hand corner.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:12 PM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

...Ben.

I could not find the Ludwig bracket. I will look again tonight and post.

Barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,473
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

If its only 4 inches too short why not try a 6 inch cymbal stacker on top and have some left to adjust. Cheap fix.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,349
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
My bad, page 32. Bottom right hand corner.
So will this fit the older (' 71 ) Ludwig bass drum mounts? If so, I'll probably just get a new one instead of trying to find a vintage one.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
benadrian's Avatar
benadrian benadrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 50
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
If its only 4 inches too short why not try a 6 inch cymbal stacker on top and have some left to adjust. Cheap fix.
That seems like a Rube Goldberg kind of fix. I'd rather just use a floor stand than assemble a stacker to a rickety stand. Besides, I'd just like it to look classy as well.

Good quick fix idea, though!

Cheers!

Ben Adrian
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

It's a photo of what Ozzy Biz posted
http://www.wwbw.com/Ludwig-Shell-Mou...-i105522.music the mount, the L-arm, top tube with tilter. The whole she-bang.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:50 AM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

...as promised

I found the Ludwig, DW,Collar Lock, and Gibralter tom brackets.



Excuse the perspective but hole to hole center spacing for the Ludwig bracket is 1 7/8 inches. If you measure from screw holes end to end, you have 2 1/4 inches.





The DW is 2 inches center to center. If you take a conical file bit for a drill, or a dremmel you can widen the existing holes in your bass drum to accomodate the DW bracket. The Ludwig requires a more exact spacing as the screw holes protrude into the shell whereas the DW sits flush. The Collar Lock bracket has the same hole spacing as the DW. The Gibralter would also require you to widen the holes a little, and like the ludwig, the screw holes also protrude through the shell.

If you like the DW, you should be able to swap it out with your Ludwig without too much effort. If you can not find a conical file bit, you could try using a larger drill bit, or a small round hand file to widen the existing screw holes instead.

If you do make the change, post some pics and let us know how it turns out for you.

Good Luck and good drumming.

Barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.

Last edited by baz; 02-02-2008 at 03:53 AM. Reason: forgot a pic
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 AM
benadrian's Avatar
benadrian benadrian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 50
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
I found the Ludwig, DW,Collar Lock, and Gibralter tom brackets.

Excuse the perspective but hole to hole center spacing for the Ludwig bracket is 1 7/8 inches. If you measure from screw holes end to end, you have 2 1/4 inches.

...

If you do make the change, post some pics and let us know how it turns out for you.

Barry
Hey Barry,

You rule! Thanks so much.

I'll post photos for whatever I do.

Ben
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Youngjdi Youngjdi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 4
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Hi all!

This seems to be a not very popular topic as i cannot find anything anywhere on mounting these things:

I got the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA bass drum mounted cymbal stand and I am trying to figure out where to mount it on the bass drum.

i have a gretsch catalina maple 18 x 22 bass drum. I am confident i can correctly mount the base for the arm. my question is: if i mount the arm down on the side of the drum (in order to have my ride cymbal lower), is it going to compromise the stand because of the angle?

Is the 12" arm as short as Gibraltar goes? If I could find, say, an 8" arm; that would be perfect. thanks all!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,988
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngjdi View Post
Hi all!

This seems to be a not very popular topic as i cannot find anything anywhere on mounting these things:

I got the Gibraltar SC-GBDCA bass drum mounted cymbal stand and I am trying to figure out where to mount it on the bass drum.

i have a gretsch catalina maple 18 x 22 bass drum. I am confident i can correctly mount the base for the arm. my question is: if i mount the arm down on the side of the drum (in order to have my ride cymbal lower), is it going to compromise the stand because of the angle?

Is the 12" arm as short as Gibraltar goes? If I could find, say, an 8" arm; that would be perfect. thanks all!!
I did a home made job (using floor tom leg holder and other random parts) but same concept as Gibraltars and the many other bass drum cymbal mounts. For the location - , when looking at the base drum from its front, I mounted at about 10 o'clock position, almost in line with one of the front lugs. The danger with mounting to close to the edge , along the side of bass drum (say 9 o'clock) , is that will put the most stress on the holes, esp. with a large heavy cymbal. You should try it out in a few positions before drilling of course.

I'm a big fan of these mounts, they save room and the carrying weight of an extra cymbal stand (i.e. for gigs in tight spaces)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Youngjdi Youngjdi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 4
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
did a home made job (using floor tom leg holder and other random parts) but same concept as Gibraltars and the many other bass drum cymbal mounts. For the location - , when looking at the base drum from its front, I mounted at about 10 o'clock position, almost in line with one of the front lugs. The danger with mounting to close to the edge , along the side of bass drum (say 9 o'clock) , is that will put the most stress on the holes, esp. with a large heavy cymbal. You should try it out in a few positions before drilling of course.

I'm a big fan of these mounts, they save room and the carrying weight of an extra cymbal stand (i.e. for gigs in tight spaces)
Right On...

The only problem I'm forseeing is that it's going to raise my ride about 3 inches higher than where I have it right now.

Does anyone make a shorter post?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,988
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

ya i see your problem , you need to mount it on the outside.
patrick keeler (raconteurs) uses a bass drum cymbal mount right on the side. also with a 24 inch GB cymbal, so must be sturdy enough

maybe thats Ok...check it out.


http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=patric...1t:429,r:4,s:0
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Youngjdi Youngjdi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 4
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
ya i see your problem , you need to mount it on the outside.
patrick keeler (raconteurs) uses a bass drum cymbal mount right on the side. also with a 24 inch GB cymbal, so must be sturdy enough

maybe thats Ok...check it out.

Hmmm.... I have a 21" HHX Groove Ride: Not too heavy. I'll have to play around a little bit before I commit to drilling holes in my bass drum. Thanks for the advice!! This is my third post. Wish I had found this site years ago!


Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

I really can't help out here very much except for a photo of the arm on my DW Classic kit. They make these arms in two different lengths. I own them both, but it's the shorter one that's pictured. The size of the ride is a 20". Maybe one of these angles might show you what you need. If I was mounting the base of the mount, I would have moved it about an inch closer the the bass drums resonant head, but it works out well the way it is.









Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Youngjdi Youngjdi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 4
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I really can't help out here very much except for a photo of the arm on my DW Classic kit. They make these arms in two different lengths. I own them both, but it's the shorter one that's pictured. The size of the ride is a 20". Maybe one of these angles might show you what you need. If I was mounting the base of the mount, I would have moved it about an inch closer the the bass drums resonant head, but it works out well the

Dennis
You happen to have my dream kit. :)

it's very beautiful...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bass Drum mounted Ride Cymbal Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngjdi View Post
You happen to have my dream kit. :)

it's very beautiful...
Thank you, they sound very nice too.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com