DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Photography

Any photographers out there? I bought a dslr last year to do a local course - it went well and now im doing the nesxt level. I've had a bit of a mental block though. Anyone got any good ideas for photography projects?

Anyone got any photography work they'd be willing to post up to give me some inspiration!!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Photography

Do a series of a dozen portraits of only elderly people. Keep the composition the same for all portraits and no smiling subjects. Try to also keep your lighting the same for all shots.

Insisting that your subjects not smile will give an interesting tone to the series of portraits and having to convince twelve elderly people to do it will improve your photog to subject skills.

You'll be surprised what you learn and it may inspire a different project.

You can check out some of my work here. Just a small selection of old work but you might find something there that interests you.

http://www.ttnw.com/philippejenney.html
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM

My hobby is doing photos of rock bands. I have a lot of fun with it but actually I trained at University using film and I used to be a pro.
The nice thing about a DSLR is that it does not cost you anything to take pictures. It no longer costs a week's pay to experiment.
So, the route to improvement is to take lots of pictures. What sort of mental block do you have? Take pictures of anything and everything. No matter how surreal or ill-lit, it's not going to cost you anything to try it so just hit the button.

Study other people's photographic work in a critical manner.
What do you like about it? What do you hate? Why? Think about your responses and take it from there.
Accept that you can't be a genius all the time. Some shots will flop. Can't win them all. Shrug and move on!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Lots of great photos on this thread

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82762

Some very cool shots, Philippe!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Ahh yes photography, one of my other expensive hobbys. I mainly got into it because I live in Colorado and there are a bunch of beautiful things to photograph here outdoors, mountains, wildlife. All I can say is always take your camera with you because you never know where a photo op will turn up . Another thing we have just started to dabble with is astro photography, its fun but a major PITA.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post

Insisting that your subjects not smile will give an interesting tone to the series of portraits and having to convince twelve elderly people to do it will improve your photog to subject skills.
Good suggestion. I'm just starting to think about where I'm going to find 12 elderley people and how i'm going to convince them not to smile. I think i need to learn some lighting basics first - although I did that courser last year i did nothing with flash gun or studio and want to get confident with this before involving ppl (flah gun that is - can't afford studio lighting!)

Love the work by the way. Good going.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
Ahh yes photography, one of my other expensive hobbys. I mainly got into it because I live in Colorado and there are a bunch of beautiful things to photograph here outdoors, mountains, wildlife. All I can say is always take your camera with you because you never know where a photo op will turn up . Another thing we have just started to dabble with is astro photography, its fun but a major PITA.
I'd love to see some of your shots of Colorado - a place i'd like to visit one day.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
What sort of mental block do you have?
Just a lack of inspiration at a time when I need to be getting some photography done for my course. But I think you hit the nail on the head by saying check out some other photographers work. Any good pohotographers you can recommend - pro or amateur?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

I'm mainly a portrait photographer, my blog is here:

http://mattederblog.blogspot.com/

Not sure how inspirational it would be, but there it is.

I keep trying to expand my business but it's hard when you play drums and do audio for a living. The people that I've noticed that have gotten good at their business, have usually lost everything first ;)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikealion View Post
Good suggestion. I'm just starting to think about where I'm going to find 12 elderley people and how i'm going to convince them not to smile. I think i need to learn some lighting basics first - although I did that courser last year i did nothing with flash gun or studio and want to get confident with this before involving ppl (flah gun that is - can't afford studio lighting!)

Love the work by the way. Good going.
Just like in drumming, learning your craft is important and so is integrating and applying it to the context in which it lives. When you push yourself to master the mechanics of making good photos while managing the personalities and logistics it accelerates the process of you developing your own point of view with your photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm mainly a portrait photographer, my blog is here:

http://mattederblog.blogspot.com/

Not sure how inspirational it would be, but there it is.

I keep trying to expand my business but it's hard when you play drums and do audio for a living. The people that I've noticed that have gotten good at their business, have usually lost everything first ;)
I was the most inspired when I was doing primarily editorial assignments. The irony is that journalism is a brutal profession and can often be very uninspiring. I don't know if I've LOST everything to get my commercial career stable, but it did COST everything. I've had to reoutfit (or turnover) all my gear probably 5 times in over 20 years in the biz.

I've said it before. I'll say it again and my back agrees with this. Being a photographer and a drummer is stupid. I should have been a writer and a flute player. ;-)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 PM

You just have to get out there and shoot, nature, people, landscapes etc.
You can also play around with lighting and settings, for example focus on shutterspeed one day. Find some waterfalls, moving objects and try to achieve the sense of motion by using slow shutter speeds. Or focus on composition, challenge yourself to find anything and everything and try to make it an interesting subject. Go out and work on manual focus, turn off auto focus and challenge yourself to shoot everything manually....you get the point.

Everyone gets in ruts or has creativity block, but sometimes its really about just doing something different than what you normally would.

I have some shots on that thread pollyana shared...I'm currently revamping my site so the pics on their isn't my best, I just used them to see how the gallery worked.
Jeminimedia.com
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've had to reoutfit (or turnover) all my gear probably 5 times in over 20 years in the biz.

I've said it before. I'll say it again and my back agrees with this. Being a photographer and a drummer is stupid. I should have been a writer and a flute player. ;-)
Thanks to the current marketing strategy and attitudes, now people tend to get new cameras every 18 months or so. It's a boom to the camera manufacturers!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

I recently bought a new book titled "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson. I recommend getting a copy, it's been a real eye opener for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'd love to see some of your shots of Colorado - a place i'd like to visit one day.
I will try and get some photos up when I have the time and post a link.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
I recently bought a new book titled "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson. I recommend getting a copy, it's been a real eye opener for me.
Will check it out. Thanks.

And thanks for the links to the photos everyone - lots of inspiration!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

The two most important things I learned in my photographic journey is:
1) It is all about the light.
2) Use a tripod as much as possible.

Enjoy this art medium.

Photo 1: Drumskull Drums
Photo 2: Drum Room: African Bells
Photo 3: Drum Room

GJS
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM
audiotech

I always loved photography and my parents bought me my first film camera as a 1st grade graduation present, lol. I started making money with photography by doing portraits,weddings and some commercial when in my teens. When I started in television in 1974 I took this craft one step further with doing film commercials in both 16 and 35mm and later video including doing most of the studio lighting at the station. Through the years I've shot just about everything, from charging bulls to alligators to perfume bottles and expensive precious stones. I was enlisted to shoot on still film, an outdoor concert by Maynard Ferguson and Chubby Checker back in the mid seventies, so I've been around for quit some time. I still shoot a lot of pictures mostly with a dslr, although I still love the film formats that obtained over the many years such as 4 x5, 2 1/4 and 35mm and I still have my darkroom to accommodate film processing and enlarging.

Photography in one way or another, always had a big influence in my life.

Dennis
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
The two most important things I learned in my photographic journey is:
1) It is all about the light.
2) Use a tripod as much as possible.

Enjoy this art medium.

Photo 1: Drumskull Drums
Photo 2: Drum Room: African Bells
Photo 3: Drum Room

GJS
Love these photos. Nicely composed/ "made."

I am going to do a project on musical instruments around my house for a course i'm on, so this is good inspiration. In terms of lighting I have a Canon speedlight which I hope I can utilize - other than that its just natural light. Do you use flash or studio lights for your pics at all?

I am also interested in African music - playing a gig tomorrow night as a 3 piece with 2 African ladies - im playing guitar and doing backing vocals as they are both better percussionists than I!!!

Last edited by ryanlikealion; 11-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM

It's great that this post has stayed active.

What about your photographic influences? I like Charlie Waite for his landscapes. Another photographer who has been particularly influential has been William Klein for telling great stories in his photographs.

Which photographers have inspired you and why? Come on, inspire me!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

I have several whose styles have inspired me a lot over the years.

Albert Watson
Michel Comte
Isabel Snyder
Mark Seliger
Gregory Heisler
Spike Jones
Thomas White
Brigitte Lacombe
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's great that this post has stayed active.

What about your photographic influences? I like Charlie Waite for his landscapes. Another photographer who has been particularly influential has been William Klein for telling great stories in his photographs.

Which photographers have inspired you and why? Come on, inspire me!
I like George Hurrel a bit. Being a portrait guy, his standard b&w work of people is probably a really obvious influence for me. I like Ralph Gibson, and even alot of Police guitarist Andy Summers does great work.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Love these photos. Nicely composed/ "made."

I am going to do a project on musical instruments around my house for a course i'm on, so this is good inspiration. In terms of lighting I have a Canon speedlight which I hope I can utilize - other than that its just natural light. Do you use flash or studio lights for your pics at all?
Thanks for the nice comments. Nothing fancy in the "tools": early morning natural light, Canon G9 and a Gitzo tripod.

GJS

"F8 and be there!"
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Here's a pic of my snare with the stick i've been currently using. Feedback welcomed and any tips on lighting techniques too. Have a speedlite. Would like studio lights but can't fund at the minute.!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Don't forget about the rule of thirds. 1/3's
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Don't forget about the rule of thirds. 1/3's
Thanks for the tip. Easy to forget that simple rule sometimes.

For you, does every photo need the rule of thirds?? Personally I get fed up of it sometimes.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

The rule of thirds has to do with dividing the scene into squares like a tic tac doe board or crosses and not putting the main subject right in the middle of the photo. Put the to one side and down or up so that there is some other back ground. I think if you Google it you will see. It just make for more interesting photos.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The rule of thirds has to do with dividing the scene into squares like a tic tac doe board or crosses and not putting the main subject right in the middle of the photo. Put the to one side and down or up so that there is some other back ground. I think if you Google it you will see. It just make for more interesting photos.
Personally I like the Rule of Sevenths myself ;)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'm a photography Luddite. I own three film cameras and no digital camera. Am I a hipster? Probably - but I like film in a way that I don't like digital. Doesn't mean my photos are any good though!

Bo, you may laugh, but:

Pentax SFXn, Praktica MTL 3, Praktica MTL 5. I really like the MTL 5. Sadly the shutter has jammed on my MTL 3.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do a series of a dozen portraits of only elderly people. Keep the composition the same for all portraits and no smiling subjects. Try to also keep your lighting the same for all shots.

You'll be surprised what you learn and it may inspire a different project.

You can check out some of my work here. Just a small selection of old work but you might find something there that interests you.

HA! That's pretty funny, but I do see artsy photos of elderly unsmiling people a lot now that you mention it. Then there's ARAT photos - Another Rock, Another Tree.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm a photography Luddite. I own three film cameras and no digital camera. Am I a hipster? Probably - but I like film in a way that I don't like digital. Doesn't mean my photos are any good though!

Bo, you may laugh, but:

Pentax SFXn, Praktica MTL 3, Praktica MTL 5. I really like the MTL 5. Sadly the shutter has jammed on my MTL 3.
Hey now - I cut my teeth on film! I dearly miss using film as much as I used to but if you don't develop your own b&w (I don't) there are hardly any local labs left around my town anymore. It's now a mail-in affair at $18 per roll. I know of a few hold-outs that insist on it and are set-up with certain labs to do their work, but I think even they know the writing on the wall. I always wanted to be James Nachtwey in War Photographer.....but he's been shooting digital for the last ten years now too. If you can afford to keep doing it, more power to ya'!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quite a few places still process film over here and it's still easy enough to buy. I just enjoy it more.

I remember borrowing my Uncle's old Pentax K-2 and having an absolute ball as a teenager. Something about shutter speed of 60 and really working on a shot with no guarantee of success that I really enjoy.

I think digital is superior in practically every way but I just enjoy film more.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Personally I like the Rule of Sevenths myself ;)
Hi Bo

My daughter's hobby is photography, but she had a poor little Panasonic digital camera, so we decided this Christmas to offer her a new camera, and her Godfather, who's too into photography recomended this:

Nikon D5100 + 2 Obj. Nikon AF-S DX VR : 18 - 55 mm f/3.5 - 5.6 G + 55 - 200 mm f/4.0 - 5.6 IF ED.

Do you think it is a good choice? (having said that we already bought it, if it's no good we'll exchande it for another one) ...my knowledge on camera is somewhat limited. :-))
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Hi Bo

My daughter's hobby is photography, but she had a poor little Panasonic digital camera, so we decided this Christmas to offer her a new camera, and her Godfather, who's too into photography recomended this:

Nikon D5100 + 2 Obj. Nikon AF-S DX VR : 18 - 55 mm f/3.5 - 5.6 G + 55 - 200 mm f/4.0 - 5.6 IF ED.

Do you think it is a good choice? (having said that we already bought it, if it's no good we'll exchande it for another one) ...my knowledge on camera is somewhat limited. :-))
That's a great kit. There s nothing she won't be able to shoot with that! I tried the d40 when that came out and had a ball with it. Of course I really like my Canon EOS-1D's nowadays but those nikons a great for Alot of photo things.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
That's a great kit. There s nothing she won't be able to shoot with that! I tried the d40 when that came out and had a ball with it. Of course I really like my Canon EOS-1D's nowadays but those nikons a great for Alot of photo things.
Thanks Bo, I guess she'll be very happy with it then, I'll ask her to do some photoshoot of my kit, I'll be able to upload some nice picture then, haha :-))
Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Quite a few places still process film over here and it's still easy enough to buy. I just enjoy it more.

I remember borrowing my Uncle's old Pentax K-2 and having an absolute ball as a teenager. Something about shutter speed of 60 and really working on a shot with no guarantee of success that I really enjoy.

I think digital is superior in practically every way but I just enjoy film more.
You would. :) You are a crazy guy, and I am starting to appreciate that about you. Why be the same as everybody else. That is easy. Good on you, as some on here would say.

I have no use for film. I don't miss anything about it. My brother wasted more money on bad shots, just trying things. Just think about the poor environment with all the chemicals, and all. Give me my Canon Rebel XT anyday. I traded in my AE 1 years ago and don't miss it at all.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:55 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
You would. :) You are a crazy guy, and I am starting to appreciate that about you. Why be the same as everybody else. That is easy. Good on you, as some on here would say.

I have no use for film. I don't miss anything about it. My brother wasted more money on bad shots, just trying things. Just think about the poor environment with all the chemicals, and all. Give me my Canon Rebel XT anyday. I traded in my AE 1 years ago and don't miss it at all.
It's not that I intentionally aim to be different, that's the thing. I just have a genuine affinity with certain physicalities and modus operandi that others don't always have. It's the same when I'm learning a new skill or piece of information - I don't build from principles but take the whole concept and then break it down into smaller pieces whenever I'm interested in what I'm doing. It's the equivalent of learning to play rudiments to build up drum set skills and listening to Tony Williams for five hours a day instead to work out what he's doing.

I only realised I was like that after it was realised that I have severe dyslexia. I didn't exactly have an easy time at school because nobody catered for my way of learning.

Objectively, digital photography is better in every way now. I can't deny that digital cameras are better in almost every way to the best film cameras. What people can do now with a cheap point and shoot is incredible and I have all the time in the World for that. My Dad loves his DSLR and he's always been an avid photographer - as has my Uncle who has been on World trips with his old film SLRs (including that Pentax K2 that I was talking about earlier). Digital produces better images (provided the user is any good) with instant feedback, more shot capacity and greater ease of editing.

On the other hand, I like to be limited to 36 frames (usually black and white) and really have to work to get shots that there are of no guaranteed quality. I wouldn't even know if there was a problem with my film speed setting until I get the film back. I like that. I like that only one of my cameras has any automation so I have to manually adjust everything. I like being given limitations. My musical composition is the same - I did most of my work on cassette tape and then used computers as the control systems. Last year a couple of us were seriously thinking about getting work pressed to vinyl. I still collect and listen to vinyl on a daily basis!

It's the physicality of the old analogue formats that I love - even if the digital modern equivalent is actually better by almost every objective measure.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM
sticks4drums

Well you make some good points. My dad taught me to be very careful when taking a shot. How to compose the shot, making sure you like the way it looks while you are taking it, not finding out later that it was wrong. I find with digital, many people just shoot away, and hope for the best. It is a very disposable society. You limiting yourself to 36 shots and making the best of them, is making you be more careful and sensible with your pictures. I was very stingy with film. Probably because of the cost, but I used to hate when I would get my pictures back and there was a bad one in the lot. I use to pride myself with having a hole roll with no bad pictures.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

That's just it. It's the 'challenge' of it. I'm not a great photographer (far from it, in fact) but I miss the days of getting a roll back from the developers and going through the stack. The only thing that I find digital lacks is in the printing process. Not many people print their pictures and even if they do, it's often on a mediocre printer with mediocre results. I like holding the pictures.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
That's just it. It's the 'challenge' of it. I'm not a great photographer (far from it, in fact) but I miss the days of getting a roll back from the developers and going through the stack. The only thing that I find digital lacks is in the printing process. Not many people print their pictures and even if they do, it's often on a mediocre printer with mediocre results. I like holding the pictures.
I totally agree. I have thousands of pictures on my hard drive, and backed up on disk, but I never print any. I loved looking at something I could hold in my hand. I bought a nice Epson Artisan 837 printer with the new iMac. Just picked up some good photo paper the other day. Going to start trying out some prints with it. Not too many, because it is probably cheaper to have them done somewhere.