DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Yamaha pedals: which one should I choose?

I'm using a DW 5000 double pedal. I'm considering a switch to Yamaha. I tried out an 8500 direct drive and liked the feel of it. What are you using? I will buy the 9500 because I want a double pedal. Should I choose a direct, chain, or belt drive?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Yamaha pedals: which one should I choose?

Honestly only you can make that choice..I've used Tama (iron cobra-original), Yamaha (chain and direct drive), DW (9000) and now Axis (direct drive)..if you like the feel of the direct drive, then by all means give it a go...I will say I don't think you can go wrong with yamaha pedals...they don't have the prestige of the iron cobras or the DW's, but IMO they are every bit as good...for me the footboards were just a little too short for my taste, hence my reason for choosing the axis longboards...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-21-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Yamaha pedals: which one should I choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
I'm using a DW 5000 double pedal. I'm considering a switch to Yamaha. I tried out an 8500 direct drive and liked the feel of it. What are you using? I will buy the 9500 because I want a double pedal. Should I choose a direct, chain, or belt drive?
That's a difficult one to answer really, bass drum pedal are so personal....

When I replaced my Tama Camco chain driven pedal after some 20+ years of faithful use, I contemplated the pedal market, and with so many choice and variations, it was a tough decision to make.

After countless visits to shops, internet and magazine reviews, I opted for the Mapex Falcon, a serious contender in today's market, mainly because it came with different drive and cam options + other bonus factors.

And after a few days of trying the different configurations possible with this pedal, I ended up using the belt drive option with the even cam (as opposed to accelerator or power glide cams), and it's a marvellous feel, it has enhanced my playing. Now for someone who played 30 years with chain driven pedals, I was very surprised, but it's working fine for me.