DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Default DW Hardcore Beaters

Hello, everyone. I tried to search this subject, to no avail. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who runs the DW Hardcore beaters on a regular basis? How are they to play? How is the response? What do they sound like? Ive been wanting to try them, but I am tentative on the price(30 bucks a piece) and how hard you would have to make the stroke to acheive the sound I think they can produce.

Someone? Anyone?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 AM

Default Re: DW Hardcore Beaters

Half a month later... no responses. I'll chime in.

Hardcore beaters are interesting - they're super light, for one thing, and the sound is totally different from anything else I've used. They do work exactly like DW and Bob Gatzen say - softer playing has a softer attack, which can be adjusted with an allen wrench. Over time, the foam has compressed on my beaters, which means I have to place them way in front to get the right response from them. But they still work.

It's hard to describe the sound, really. It's punchier than your standard felt beater but bigger of a sound than a wood beater and it records nicely with my BSX kick.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Re: DW Hardcore Beaters

Well thanks for the reply! I completely forgot I started this thread lol. Im kinda tentative, like I said, due to the price, and of the physics of the whole system. The felt needs to compress to make the core strike. So whats keeping the felt from uncompressing and damping the batter head kinda like burying the beater? Maybe, once again, Im over thinking it, but that just seems reasonable.