DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Default Trying out new heads

Hey all,

Beginner drummer here. I've been wanting to try out new heads such as the Evans EC for my snare and Evans EMAD. I suppose this is a two part question.

1. What do you guys think of these heads?

2. If I'm trying out new heads, is it important to also get new reso heads? Everything I have is still stock; I have a Tama Swingstar 5.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Trying out new heads

i have an emad on my kick. great head but so are powerstrokes and superkicks. some drums sound better with one over another. i try and change up my heads every so often with ones i haven't used before just to see if i like them or not so it doesn't hurt to try them out.

can't comment on the snare. genera dry is my head of choice for that.

resonants are probably less critical to change out from stock but i would do those as well when you have the chance. the reso's do make a noticeable difference but not as crucial as batters.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

I've been using Evans for over 30 years and have never had any reason to change to another Mfg. Everyone has their favorites from all the other name brands too. The EC series heads sound fantastic and have great durability. I have tried both EMAD and EMAD2 bass heads. I like the fat wet punch of the original EMAD over the 2ply EMAD2. The new batters will sound just fine over the stock resos. If you decide to change the resos you will notice a difference in tone also. Overall, I think Evans heads are the bees knees.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:13 PM

When it comes to what brand you are going to choose, I would try one at the time. If you will try out evans, then try out the toms and the snare with their heads. I would wait with the resos until I knew what brand I would like to stay with. I would leave the bass drum head spot to the EMAD, but there are other good ones, as said. On the snare, simply try out what you would like to, and find out what suits you and your snare. On the swingstar I think the EC2s are very nice for the toms. If you are not familiar with tuning, check out youtube.