DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 AM

Default Which heads to try?

I have a small collection of snares and have primarily used Remo Coated Ambassadors on them. There are lots of snare heads out there. Can you name 3 or 4 others you would recommend. I play metal shell drums primarily (Brass, Copper and Bronze ) tuned to medium-high to high tension. I like a crisp, dry sound with nice articulation. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Which heads to try?

You might want to give Evans HD or HD Dry heads a shot. They're still one play coated but with a bit more focus. Certainly can't hurt to try. The Aquarian Texture Coated would be another to try. They have a good amount of coating on them.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 PM

For articulation i would say remo cs coated with a moongel or 2 depending on the drum. for the dry sound you might want to try the evans genera dry. Another head to try might be the aquarian triple threat coated, its a bit of a new head and not many people have had a chance to try one out, but as far as i can tell it seems like a very well rounded head, really articulate and with the right tuning and dampening, ect. it would probably fit your criteria. (plus its three plies, not only really cool, but super hard to break)
Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

For sensitive playing, the heads that best "give back" the nuances of your playing, I'd recommend Remo Renaissance or Diplomats. For a fatter, less snappy sound, go with a coated Emperor. I don't like Fiberskyn heads, heads with holes in them, heads with rings around them, or heads with an extra muffling "ply" around the perimeter. These heads might sound great if you pound the hell out of your snare, but I'm more into the tone of the drum and coaxing the sound out at all dynamic levels. But yeah, I would definitely recommend the above 3 heads...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

I have found Evans Power Centre reverse dot heads to sound great on metal snares.Crisp articulate with the added reinforcement of the vented reverse dot. The vented dot is much more responsive to stick strikes than a Remo CS where the center of the head where the Dot resides has reduced stick bounce.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Aquarian studio x coated, or coated focus x for an even dryer sound
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

I like the Remo coated CS, but stick response does vary from edge to center. But, that's ok if you're willing to work with it-kind of like striking different parts of a cymbal. If you're looking to do lots of fine stick work, buzz rolls, etc this isn't the head for that.

The 2nd head I use is the Aquarian z100 Texture Coated head. It also reduces ringing and sounds great on metal shelled drums. Although it reduces ringing, it still allows a full bodied sound-a bit more natural and open than the CS head.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig