DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Default Dixson Bass Drum Lift vs. Gibraltar Bass Drum Platform

i have an 18" bass drum, an i have been wanting to raise it so that my beater hits the sweet spot of the drum. i have come across these two lifts, and i was wondering if anyone knows about them, or has them, and could tell me which would be a better buy as far as quality and performance.
one major difference i see is that the gibraltar is clamped onto the hoop, and the Dixson is a rest behind the hoop. also, the Dixson looks a little bit more sturdy to me.
what do you guys think?

thanks
Micah
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dixson Bass Drum Lift vs. Gibraltar Bass Drum Platform

I use the Gibraltar with my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, and it works quite well for me. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Doctor Dirt

Played an 18" for years left it on the floor set up my pedal for more speed and cut my beaters lengths to get an appropriate swing for balance. Some drums will sound ok off the floor others loose bottom end, I don't do anything that takes away bottom end naturally. If I use a lift then I have to tune looser and that effects the beater response. So that said you can do some work with your pedal and beaters (beaters (ball)(mallet) should be smaller compared to what hits a 22") and I set it up less than an inch above 9", 9 1/4" to 9 1/2" will work nicely. Try the lift out if you don't like it try my method its worked well for me. Doc
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Played an 18" for years left it on the floor set up my pedal for more speed and cut my beaters lengths to get an appropriate swing for balance. Some drums will sound ok off the floor others loose bottom end, I don't do anything that takes away bottom end naturally. If I use a lift then I have to tune looser and that effects the beater response. So that said you can do some work with your pedal and beaters (beaters (ball)(mallet) should be smaller compared to what hits a 22") and I set it up less than an inch above 9", 9 1/4" to 9 1/2" will work nicely. Try the lift out if you don't like it try my method its worked well for me. Doc
thanks...........................