DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Default Hi-Hat Stands. 3 and 2 Leg?

Here is the deal, I'm looking for a new hi-hat stand. I'm fond of the DW 5500 series. They have two options, the 2-leg or 3-leg. What are the main benefits of both? I currently have a double pedal, but have been thinking of going back to single pedal when I upgrade with the hi-hat stand. I've been looking at the DW 5000 series kick pedals as well and cannot decide if I just want the single pedal or should just bite the bullet and stick with double pedals for now. Any suggestions on a course of action? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Hi-Hat Stands. 3 and 2 Leg?

Me personally I like the 2 leg, if you decide to go double or stay with a double pedal it gives you a better placement for the slave pedal. Keep in mind you can always make a double pedal a single but not the other way around.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Me personally I like the 2 leg, if you decide to go double or stay with a double pedal it gives you a better placement for the slave pedal. Keep in mind you can always make a double pedal a single but not the other way around.
I'd have to agree, i've got the 2 leg hihat stand and the 5002 double pedal and they're both excellent.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

I agree with konaboy you can always use your double as a single and still have the option of returning to double you could even remove the slave unit if you're sure you don't need it but it's still there as a back up.

As for the hi-hat, I manage to make do with 3-leg and a double kick but I'm upgrading to a 2-leg soon. Any well known hi-hat stand is going to be stable regardless of 2 or 3 legs. Bear in mind you're left leg is pressing down on it as well so it's not going to go anywhere. I think a 2-leg makes a kit look tidier too.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM

I have the DW5000TL 2-leg stand. I bought it because I had a double pedal at the time. I now use a single pedal, but I still use the DW5000. I also have a 3 legged Yamaha HS740 stand, which is nearly as strong as the DW, so I had options, but the DW is just perfect.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Hi
2-legs..for several obvious reasons.for double pedal and less weight to move from gig to gig. Denis
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 AM

I think the only disadvantage for a 2-leg stand depends on the surface you are going to be set-up on. 2-legs can be a bit wobbly on deep pile thick carpeting.

If that was going to be under my kit consistently, then 3 legs.

Or dogbone to another stand...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:07 PM

i think that 3 legs is cool too if the leg can rotate... i have a Axis hi hat stand (very light) and works good with my doble longboard
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a 2-leg, but I've played on two recently. One was very solid DW and the other was an equally solid Pearl. Or so it would have seemed. I was indifferent to these things, being a single pedal player, but not anymore. I like to keep time with my hats (usually quarters, but often eigths) and I have to say that these things being "a bit wobbly" in my limited experience is a gross understatement. They may work fine for some drummers, but not for me. I hate them. Three legs is the only way to go. Just make sure you get the legs that rotate.

My $0.02
Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 AM

I currently use a Pacific HH920 two leg hi hat stand. Yes, it can become unstable. One cure for stabilization is to attach a multi clamp to it, then attaching to a heavy duty three leg cymbal or tom stand.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I don't have a 2-leg, but I've played on two recently. One was very solid DW and the other was an equally solid Pearl. Or so it would have seemed. I was indifferent to these things, being a single pedal player, but not anymore. I like to keep time with my hats (usually quarters, but often eigths) and I have to say that these things being "a bit wobbly" in my limited experience is a gross understatement. They may work fine for some drummers, but not for me. I hate them. Three legs is the only way to go. Just make sure you get the legs that rotate.

My $0.02
Could not agree more. If you use your left foot a lot, I wouldn't recommend a 2 leg.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

If I had it to do again, I'd go back to a 3-leg. If you're quibbling that much about the weight of one leg, go hit the Hammer Strength for another 5 reps or something.

I do have a very handy little vintage multi-clamp looking thing that helps stabilize, but they aren't exactly easy to find these days.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Try out a DW9000 2 leg if you can. Seemed solid to me, but perhaps I didn't try it enough keeping the left foot counting. I don't really see the problem with three legs though, I have a standard 3 leg Tama Roadpro, the legs turn but I rarely bother, I just line the footborrds up and the top of the slave sticks out behind the legs anyway.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

That's a cool attachment alparrott has.

I guess the main knock on the 2 leggers is if it will wobble or shake.

I have the DW5000 and DW9000 2 legged HH's. I have them on carpet. I guess the legs and the pedal heel are adjusted just right where there is barely any wobble. I've got the heel part of the hat sharing the load. Plus I never even notice it as I keep time with my HH foot when it's not on the Double pedal.
Pretty solid. But a little heavy - that probably helps with it not wobbling.

It's just a bit easier to stick the double pedal in there with 2 legs. However, I know some guys here can do it with the 3 leggers.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

I don't have any issues with my 2 leg Tama Iron cobra. It really opens up the floor space too.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
TFITTING942

3 legs as long as they swivel.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 2-legged Pearl (eliminator), it doesn't wobble at all. I have it tilted slightly towards me, which I imagine would make it less stable, but I don't remember any wobbling when I had it straight either.

I could see it wobbling if the legs weren't fully extended... But as long as they're extended all the way, the foot plate acts as the 3rd leg.