DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Default which drum heads?

please delete please delete.

Last edited by bmeat; 08-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: which pre-pack?

Yes, any 14" batter head can be used on either snare or toms.

I've played the EC2's and the Pinstripes and if you're into that sound, those are good. Never tried the others. I'm usually using Remo Ambassadors or Emperors (white or clear) or Evans G1's or G2s (white or clear). A friend of mine has the EC2s on his Yamaha Recording Customs and they sound just like they're mic'd up and being played by Steve Gadd - but he's not mic'd up! Very cool heads, but I did find that that was all they sounded good as. When I use regular one- or two-ply heads, I can get more sounds out of those depending on what's needed.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post
hmm well this is my first time every getting drum heads..and i do realize that these types of heads have more attack than sustain. are they really that dampended though? think id be better off with one of the thinner evans or remos?

is there any drawbacks of using a tom head on a snare? do they deteriorate noticeably faster?

thanks
Well, they're not specifically 'tom' heads or 'snare' heads. If they're 14", then you can use them on either drum. You just have to like it on that drum. Most guys will use a different head on the snare drum, as opposed to the toms. For instance, I have a white Remo Ambassador on my snare drum, but I have clear Remo emperors on the toms. The ambassador is a single-ply head, the emperors are double-ply. The ambassador is coated because I play alot of brushes and need that surface. But the snare I want to be a high pitch and to crack a bit more - you get that with thinner one-ply heads. The toms I want to sustain but sound a little deep too, so a double-ply head will allow me to tune it down a bit more and it will have a lower pitch because it's thicker.

I do think the EC2's are that dampened, because it has a ring around the edge, just like a PowerStoke 3 bass drum head, just on a smaller basis. But like I said, my friend gets a great sound out of his.

But like anything, they're just heads. If you put the clear EC2 on your 14" snare and like it, then you're good! If you never play brushes, then you don't need a coating on the head.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
alright thanks so much. i may just send my relative the ec2 and pinstripe pack and lether pick, im sure id like either, unless someone knows for sure which is better?

also let me ask this. would a "warmer" head like a g2 or emperor or a "darker" head like a pinstripe or ec2 compliment poplar drums better?

thanks
That you will just have to experiment with. Even those of us who've been playing a long time have a difficult time knowing what type of wood is used when hearing a drumset - let alone know which head would work best on it. Personally, I never cared what it was made out of so long as I can make it sound good, and I've played my fair share of woods, steel, and acrylics, and they all sound pretty much like drums to me. Get whichever and find out! But if you want really resonant, then get single-ply. If you want the ability to go dull and thuddy, get the pins or the ec's. Keep it simple.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
alright thanks for all the help man. you and bob have once again made the process so much simpler. kudos
Well, until nothing works despite our advice ;) Good luck!