DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Phil Rudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
my thoughts exactly.

No disrespect to Rudd and Watts, AC/DC and the stones can still move on if they ever decide to quit.

However, when Keith Moon died, the whole band died! (Thats what uniqueness or creativity in drumming means to me)

Time keeping is hard but can be copied by a moderate drummer. All the AC/DC drummers are Time Keepers.
Chicago died when Seraphine left, too. I listen to songs like Beginnigs, Dialogue, I'm a Man, etc, and that guy not only has the chops, but his timing is impeccable. We can hardly get a thread going on him, and Rudd already has three pages - Watts probably more. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding our forum.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
my thoughts exactly.

No disrespect to Rudd and Watts, AC/DC and the stones can still move on if they ever decide to quit.

However, when Keith Moon died, the whole band died! (Thats what uniqueness or creativity in drumming means to me)

Time keeping is hard but can be copied by a moderate drummer. All the AC/DC drummers are Time Keepers.
The same with Led Zepplin. They stopped playing just because Bonham died. Frankly, I think it was a good move because Bonham defined their style. Without him, Zepplin would never had been the same!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM

you dont need to be elaborate on the drums to be good....

Rudds my main influence. As a drummer, my job is to keep the other band memebers in time, and keeping it simple but catchy like Rudd is excelent.

Besides, Rudd doesnt use click tacks or warm ups which is pretty cool, and thats what i admire. He doesnt stuff around like other drummers.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Phil isn't a Mike Portnoy, a Danny Carey, a Stewart Copeland, a George Kollias, or a Sumus Paulicelli but what he can do with that moneybeat is something that frustrates many chop-heavy drummers to the core with it's simple solid yet dynamic and flowing "feel".

Phil spells solid with Das Capital "S", he must like sit down for 8 hours a day (straight) and play that groove to a moneybeat like a machine, no wonder he gets the gigs.

For some reason ACDC sounded best when they had Bon Scott and Phil Rudd, lose them both and they were crap, when they got Phil again they sounded good, I reckon Phil Rudd atleast had a say when it comes to their song production. Listen to the Black Ice album, I've actually notice his drumming has improved over years...

...remember, there are good drummers who are solid and creative and with mind blowing chops but...they just don't play drums for ACDC and usually aren't as solid as Phil if you graphed their timing in relation to a click.

I reckon Phil Rudd is a good drummer, if he had the space in a song to solo and go "Portnoy-esque" he would, but he would leave atleast some space, it would be solid and wouldn't just be a dissonant wall of sound neither would it be poly-rhythymic clockwork piece like Virgil, but hey we all have our own musical tastes, and Phil Rudd isn't aiming to be a star, that just shows his sort of devotion to his art.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Rebel

Besides his solid and strong time-keeping, Phil has improved a lot on - Black Ice - album, including several fills on the songs.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
I think Phil (Rudd) does the job - and He does it dead right for AC/DC or Accadacca (real Aussie term). Must be the reason, why He is Back In Black Ice...and harder than a rock!

Can't shoot, root or electrocute that guy, He is made for AC/DC.

Did I say it right, Pollyanna?....:-)
Yep, that was a solid effort, Ian :)

When I was young I thought you HAD to play all sorts of exciting things and it annoyed me that drummers like Phil could just chug along could be so successful. I put it down to hype. Many tyears later I realise it wasn't hype, it was his great sense of time and groove. Plus his single minded interest in playing the song rather than pleasuring himself.

That's all a drummer needs to be successful. If they can bring something else to the table - dynamics, feel, imagination, originality etc - that's a bonus. Not that you need those things in Accadacca :)

So Phil's playing fills, eh? Hmm, sounds like the lad's getting a bit carried away ...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
I think Phil (Rudd) does the job - and He does it dead right for AC/DC or Accadacca (real Aussie term). Must be the reason, why He is Back In Black Ice...and harder than a rock!

Can't shoot, root or electrocute that guy, He is made for AC/DC.

Did I say it right, Pollyanna?....:-)

Venezuela.....seriously??

Man, ROFL........I'm in tears. Absolutely brilliant!!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Phil Rudd has always been a big influence on me. His "play what the song needs" philosophy has been at the heart of my drumming. I have gotten so many compliments over the years for not "over playing" on songs. I always say as a drummer if you listen to the song IT will tell you what needs to be done. Alot of times it's not what you play but what you don't play that's really important. I find I have to intentionally reign myself in when I do a song ( especially an original) so as not to overpower the tune. This is where Phil shines it seems to come naturally to him. Besides when my band does a AC/DC cover it can be quite challanging to keep "true" to the song. Your just dying to throw some rolls and extra stuff in. atleast I know I do. I absolutely love Phill Rudd.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM

To understand what Phil Rudd adds to AC/DC it is only necessary to listen to the AC/DC "live" album with Chris Slade drumming. Everything, to my ear, is subtly "wrong."

It sounds like a good AC/DC cover band.

Slade is a competent drummer, but it seems to me he plays most of that album right on top of the beat. Rudd finds that pocket, crawls in and sets up shop.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM

The thing is, there are a lot of little things Phil Rudd, and the whole is more than the sum of parts, so to speak. I would say Chris Slade is probably a better drummer skill-wise, but Phil fits better. Angus Young is a very basic guitar player, but nobody else would work in his shoes either. But a point I haven't seen discussed much... Phil Rudd is just damn cool!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Rebel

Thanks, mate. Venezuelans and Aussies can shake hands, we have a pretty similar approach to things and humour in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Venezuela.....seriously??

Man, ROFL........I'm in tears. Absolutely brilliant!!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Phil Rudd rocks! The way he can play that steady beat & drive the song with such confidence & power puts him in a class with few others. Doug Clifford from CCR belongs in that class, too, along with Les Warner from the Cult. The Cult supposedly fired one drummer because he dared to play a fill!

Anyway, it's not my style. I used to try to play like Moon or Mitchell, but I've settled into a more Joey Kramer-type style. If I tried to play for AC/DC I'd go crazy. I've gotta fill, but I love Phil Rudd's sound & sense of time, & yes, he's got soul (or magic or whatever)!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Until I joined a band that covered some ACDC, I never realised how hard it was to play their music well. The Young bros. have a genius for writing three chord rock songs that work because all of the micro elements/riffs/pushes are perfectly integrated into the whole. The songs are deceptively simple, but if you take out one element of an ACDC song it falls apart.

Their bass player, who like Rudd doesn't seem to do much, but in fact does exactly what is required, was once quoted as saying that with ACDC it was all about the song, not the individuals. In my opinion, it is as difficult to play Back in Black well, as I'm a Boy - and I'm a huge Moon fan. If you get the tempo or the pushes in an ACDC song just slightly off, it doesn't work. But when you do get it more or less right, it feels great and you can see the audience getting it. Rudd's not just a timekeeper - he's the pulse.

David
Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Rebel

Phil Rudd is the coolest drummer, as per Brian Johnson.

Check: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOdU...eature=related
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Definetely a machine. He never uses a click track in the studio.
That is above human.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 AM

Obviously Phil doesnt have much skill technically, but he plays what those songs require.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Rebel

He is the "money beater and steady time keeper."
Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Yeah Phil can keep time. What else can he do?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBeaufordGaddNeil View Post
Yeah Phil can keep time. What else can he do?
Count his millions? :-)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Count his millions? :-)
Or maybe he can set back and reflect on how he has the easiest and best gig in the world playing the same couple of patterns over and over again
Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Or maybe he can set back and reflect on how he has the easiest and best gig in the world playing the same couple of patterns over and over again
More power to him.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
More power to him.

Yeah i agree there, more power to him, no disrespect to Phil or AC/DC, im just saying Phil, PLAY SOMETHING ELSE. I know you do play what the songs need but some more fills or different patterns wouldn't hurt if you can use them in a good way.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

I was a teen listening to David Garibaldi, Nigel Olssen, BUDDY RICH, Neal Peart, Tommy Aldridge etcccccccccccccccccc.................

When I saw Phil Rudd LIVE in 1978 he put the G in groove!

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
I was a teen listening to David Garibaldi, Nigel Olssen, BUDDY RICH, Neal Peart, Tommy Aldridge etcccccccccccccccccc.................

When I saw Phil Rudd LIVE in 1978 he put the G in groove!
Really? When i think of GROOVE i think Carter Beauford, Steve Gadd, etc.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah i agree there, more power to him, no disrespect to Phil or AC/DC, im just saying Phil, PLAY SOMETHING ELSE. I know you do play what the songs need but some more fills or different patterns wouldn't hurt if you can use them in a good way.
This argument really could be extended to the whole band. They haven't changed musically since '74. Don't get me wrong....I love 'em...saw them at the start of the year and was blown away. But diverse they ain't....and that's cool. it's what they do and why their die hard fans love 'em.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
This argument really could be extended to the whole band. They haven't changed musically since '74. Don't get me wrong....I love 'em...saw them at the start of the year and was blown away. But diverse they ain't....and that's cool. it's what they do and why their die hard fans love 'em.
Yeah dude, you are right. If they were to change anything i dont think their die hard fans would be very happy.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Rebel

Mr. Phil Rudd grooving on his 3 up / 2 down Sonor kit...and changing out snares due to a damaged batter head in the beginning of...

A pretty hard place over there...Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i81Ma7978FM

AC/DC-Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be - live (1977 London, England):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa1EB...eature=related

AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top live in 1976:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDhx...eature=related

Enjoy...the place!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah dude, you are right. If they were to change anything i dont think their die hard fans would be very happy.
Does something about this really annoy you?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
...im just saying Phil, PLAY SOMETHING ELSE. I know you do play what the songs need but some more fills or different patterns wouldn't hurt if you can use them in a good way.
AC/DC and Phil Rudd have created a style of rock which suit their music so well, and while Phil's playing appear to be simple to do, it is not. He does uplift the songs with the approach "less is more", a really good player.

Quote:
They haven't changed musically since '74... ...But diverse they ain't....and that's cool. it's what they do and why their die hard fans love 'em.
Agreed, AC/DC is AC/DC! and 37 years later, they're still here, they must be doing something right...

Quote:
It could be right, however, it would be interesting to see what they would come up with? then we could be the judge of that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Does something about this really annoy you?
No, Phil Rudd is an iconic figure in the world of rock music, based on his approach of drumming, and I have no doubt that the man is capable to play something that is "more in your face" type of groove, but somehow it would not suit AC/DC's music...
Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Rebel

AC/DC - Highway to hell (Live with Bon Scott):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djzge...eature=related

AC_DC - Hell's Bells - Phil Rudd on Drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxkYk...eature=related

...Enjoy it mates!

Last edited by Ian Williams; 12-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.