DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Default Reso head - EQ3 or Ambassador?

I'm getting a MCA next week which comes with black Remo reso head, but I want to change it to a white one. I was thinking of buying an Ambassador and cutting my own port hole but I just noticed that Evans makes a white EQ3 with a 5" port hole already cut, so I'm unsure which one I should get and would like some opinions.

I use Remo on everything now (toms, snare and kick batter) but an Evans EQ2 on the reso side of my kick because it dampened the sound a bit and gave it a nice thump. But the MCA will be my first high end kit and I'm wondering if I should give a shot to an Ambassador reso which will probably let the drum sing a bit better than an EQ3.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these and provide a good comparison?

The kick drum is a 24x18 if that helps any.

Cheers guys.

My kit
Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Reso head - EQ3 or Ambassador?

Why not just wait until yo get the kit and see how the bass drum sounds before you change the heads.
The black head won't sound different than a comparable white one.
Cut a port in the stock head and see how you like it.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

That EQ3 is a nice sounding head, as is the Powerstroke 3 which is available in white without the stripe. I would choose either of these over the Ambassador unless you want to put a felt strip under the head. A completely unmuffled Ambassador or other single-ply unmuffled head simply gives too much ring and sustain for my tastes. The nice thing about them, though, is YOU have control of how much muffling you apply.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Woudl agree with ID Drummer. I have an Ambassador reso on a 20 inch kick, and use a felt strip to dampen some of the ring. BUT, with that little trick, its a very nice open sounding kick drum (an dlike you I prefer a white head). I find many of the EQ series resos dampen a fair amount, but that may work depending on the sound you're looking for. I do agree though with others below, best to first GET your drum, see what head is on it already, how it sounds and then decide what weight of the new reso head to try. EQ3 are fine resos.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

As soon as you talk porting the front head, I don't think it'll matter which head you have on the front. Your reso pitch gets lower as you thicken up the head, and depending on how you tune you can get a good sound with either a straight ambassador or an EQ3, depending on what you want. But once you put a hole in it, you're taking away most of the resonance to begin with.

Alot of the ring you get with a full reso head disappears as soon as you start playing with a band, and if you're not mic'd up, the full reso helps with your bass drum projecting towards the audience. If you cut a big enough hole, the less earth-shaking the bass drum becomes, effectively making your 24" sound alot smaller. I say experiment first with the heads it comes with and see if you can't make it sound good out of the box. If it comes with a fairly decent set of some kind of PowerStroke 3 head and a full reso, see what the drum can do with that before you alter it to your liking.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah I was definitely planning on trying out the stock head first to get a feel for the drum. I'm just going to experiment and see if I'm going to go thinner or thicker for the reso. Good to know that you can get Powerstroke 3's without the ring too, I think that may be what I'll end up using, but we'll see. Thanks for the input guys!

My kit