DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Most transportable kits?

Hello there,

I would love to get people's advice on easily-transportable kits. This will be my first electronic kit (been playing acoustic on and off) and will be primarily for practice at various joints/basements/God knows where.

I see that the Yamaha DTXplorer and its replacement the DTX500 are foldable, but other than that I haven't been able to find any information on which kits are really easy to pack up, fold away and store, etc.

Thanks!

~Kalyx
Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Most transportable kits?

I have a Roland TD3 (TD4 is new model). It's fairly easy to fold together and pick up. I'm 6 ft 225lbs, and I can pick it up and move it without issue. Although I need to be careful going through doorways and such.

I don't think the TD12 or TD20 would be nearly as easy. TD9 might be...if you have the opportunity every Guitar Center I have been in has a TD20 and TD9 on the floor to play. Go and see what you think about lifting one up.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Can you fold the TD-3 down at all to, say, store it in a closet or toss (not literally!) it in a car? Or would it be easier to just disassemble it entirely for transportation?

~Kalyx
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM

I brought it home (used off of CL) in the back of a Honda pilot fully assembled.

It doesn't really fold "down", more like in on itself.

I would think it would fit in a car, but the cymbals might move depending on where they are. You might be able to open the frame straight and stretch it across the floor of a back seat.

I would think it would fit in a closet no problem as long as the height will clear.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM

The TD-9 is kind of a pain in the butt. The easiest way ive figured to haul the thing is to put all the pads/hi hat pedal in a suitcase, fold the rack up and then carry my PD-10 amp by itself

EDIT: It is about two trips of stuff, BUT the whole thing did fit into the trunk with the rack in the back seat of my 2009 2 door civic si
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 AM

I have travel alot with my yahama dtxplorer planes, cars the lot it's easy and light to fold and can be packed in a hardware case for flights and trains.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 AM

Hmmm, so it looks like I have the option of getting a Roland TD-3 for around $500-575 or a Roland TD-4 (minus kick pedal) for about $600 (but would have to drive 45 minutes to an hour or so to pick up the latter).

I can't find a used Yamaha DTXplorer available right now in my area, but usually I see 'em go for ~$500.

Any thoughts??

Thanks so much for your help!

~Kalyx
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

I have a TD12 and to transport it, I take off all the pads and cymbals but leave the brain on the frame. I then fold the frame and carry the frame as a single item and put that in the car. I have a large holdall to carry the pads and hihat stand. The foot pedal and pad and the throne are carried separately.

Cheers
Davo