DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Default Speaker as bass drum mic, suspended inside drum?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an affordable way to mic my bass drum. I came across some examples of speaker cones being used as bass drum mics. That combined with checking out a picture of the Kelly Shu bass drum mic suspension stand (suspends the mic inside the middle of the bass drum via bungee cords), has me thinking...

Has anyone tried, or seen, suspending a speaker cone inside of a bass drum as a mic?

I have a spare 8" driver hanging around not doing anything, plus some other parts. I figure the total build cost for me will be about $8, so I'll probably try it. Just curious if it's been attempted before.

Cheers,

John
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Speaker as bass drum mic, suspended inside drum?

It would be very simple to do. You just have to reverse-wire the two terminals and then work out whether or not the impedence is appropriate (adding resistance as appropriate). With that said, you're not going to get a conventional bass drum mic sound from a cone. Instead you're going to get only the 'sub' frequencies. Yamaha make a microphone called the 'Sub-Kick' that does exactly this. If you're after a conventional bass drum mic sound, you need to buy a conventional bass drum mic.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM
audiotech

It seems to me that only having a woofer suspended inside of a bass drum would give you lots of low end something, but for the much needed articulation it seems as if you're also going to need either a batter or a resonant microphone to balance the sound and get past all that accumulation of lows. The Yamaha system is a bit better immune to this low frequency build-up because the speaker used in their set-up is specially chosen for the response they seem deemed fit for it's construction. Not all 8" woofer designs promote the same frequency range and linearity. Some designs might have a paper cone or a "polypropylene" cone which will affect both the "compliance" and "free air resonant frequency" of the speaker itself, especially when being hung within the bass drum. This is another reason why some individuals have more success than others building their own sub woofers. Most of the time it's sheer luck. Another vital point with Yamahas design is that their unit is placed on the outside of the bass drums resonant head where it picks up the vibrations of the front head and not all the forced air within the bass drums shell itself.

Dennis
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I love the convenience of having an internally mounted D6, but I believe MFB and audiotech are steering you right. I don't think you will get a "normal" mic'd bass drum sound from that arrangement. I think the sound will be muddy and inarticulate.

On the other hand, if you've already got the driver, why not experiment?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 AM

Yeah, I expect that I'll be missing some high end articulation for sure. Certainly won't be stopping me from trying though!

I also have an SM57 so I may play around with blending the two. I'll definitely post back with my findings!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinck View Post
Yeah, I expect that I'll be missing some high end articulation for sure. Certainly won't be stopping me from trying though!

I also have an SM57 so I may play around with blending the two. I'll definitely post back with my findings!
That should be a good combination. 57 for the click, homemade subkick for the oomph. Sounds like a fun project!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

I built my own 'sub-kick' about a year ago. It's cool, but there is zero 'attack' in what it captures due to the diaphragm. It gets the lows for certain. I mix mine with a Sennheiser e602 and sometimes add in the SM58.

I think you're get a nice sound from an 8" speaker and an SM57 (58 and 57 are essentially the same - element is the same). You might lose some of the lower mid range freqs, but most peeps EQ that out anyway.