DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

This video was pretty disturbing back in the 80's. Family Guy brought new life to it. I think Peter Griffin hit the nail on the head. It's no wonder I stayed away from bands like the Stones and Bowie when I was a teenager back in the 80's. This is the Mick Jagger and David Bowie I was exposed to. It wasn't until the late 90's until I understood what their music was all about. Nowadays Bowie is one of my all-time favorites, as well as the Stones.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

Disturbing? I always thought it was a fun video and a great track as well.

Bermuda
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea agree, disturbing. Diluting a great classic with massive egos, JMO.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Doctor Dirt

Great dancing?? No not exactly, they look like to spastic clowns. I'm sure Tina Turner laughs her ass off everytime she sees these folks try to dance on stage. She supposedly helped shake shy Mick out of his boy/girlhood and become the lightfooted phenome!!
Obviously both of these "guys" are "great" or they wouldn't be millionaires, right? mnnnnn No!! Both have tremendous vocal range, right? mnnnnnnn No! Both handsome and manly to a fault, right? mnnnnnnnn No!
Do I enjoy Daniel Bowie and his music? No!
Do I enjoy Mick Jagger and his music? No!
I do like early Rolling Stones, tunes like Midnight Rambler, Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and a few more.........
I don't care for most British front men/singers they all put on a very gay/homosexual act that in my younger years was a huge distraction from the music and vaulted these groups into the "Act" catagory. If these groups were new bands starting out today their perception would be different. I wasn't raised as a hater but I have more preferences just as everyone else does so in the music business I always question why theatre is used in a rock n roll band. I'm from an era were that type of "gimmick" was used to hide weaknesses also I knew I had to see and hear these groups live because the studio can lie. Saw the Stones 3 times all 3 they were terrible, they sounded like garage bands and other than jagger working hard to put on a show they are ALL ordinary talents at best. I never saw Bowie, purposely, his demeanor has nothing to do with me. Yes you can throw in R. Plant from the Zep. boys too, that fellow in his youthfull years was just creepy hahaha!!! yes I said creepy!!! Doc
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

I guess I just take things at face value: I like something, or I don't. There's no need to have to dig deep or insist there be certain values, a song/video either works for me, or it doesn't. A certain amount of music just isn't accessible without having to dissect it or search for some sort of value, and that's not how or why I listen to music.

That's why I'm able to enjoy the Monkees as much as Weather Report, Abba as much as Zappa, Ringo as much as Bozzio. Something either appeals to me, or it doesn't - no special criteria required.

Bermuda
Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Doctor Dirt

Your such a sweet fellow for not "reaching" or "dig deep" maybe its just called "explaining why"! I don't have to politically correct or pull any punches because I don't put pop/rock performers on throwns like the kids do, even when I was a kid. I think if you like or dislike its ok to explain why because it lends to discussion on a forum which is were we are. Doc
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The way Mick moves always made me cringe. He's just too fuity. For a song about dancing in the streets, where is everybody? This is a major party song. Two people do not a party make. It just doesn't work on any level for me, except perhaps the music track, which I can't disparage. I can't say I disliked the way they sang it either, just the visuals make me want to hurl. If I was asked to approve this for release, I would seriously laugh in their faces, like "Are you serious?". You can do better than that. You forgot the party.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Doctor Dirt

Hate to tell you this.............................................. they had the party!!! Fruity? Yes!
Doc.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Rebel

I prefer the Van Halen version of "Dancing In The Street" out of the "Diverdown" album and the Karen Carpenter version as well!!!

Van Halen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dhrFDva6E

Karen Carpenter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAy6...eature=related

Bowie & Jagger are way too...........softy for my bitter taste!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 PM

I like it and their voices sound good together.
Imho I think it sounds better than VH's version.
2 greats together.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

Quote:
The album's first single release, "Rock Me Tonite" was Billy Squier's biggest Pop hit. It reached #15 on Billboard's Hot 100, as well as #1 on the Album Rock Tracks chart in late 1984. However, the video for the track (directed by Kenny Ortega), which shows Squier dancing around a bedroom in a pink tank top, was named by Video GaGa as one of "The worst videos of all time". On the VH1 show Ultimate Albums (Def Leppard's "Pyromania" episode), Squier blamed the end of his career as a chart-topping rocker on the release of the "Rock Me Tonite" video.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Your such a sweet fellow for not "reaching" or "dig deep" maybe its just called "explaining why"!
I'm just saying that it's not necessary for me to find 'something' in order to like a song. I don't need to analyze or qualify a work in order to like (or dislike) it. If I like something, I accept it without question. If I don't, I don't dig deeper in order to force myself to accept it. Things are very face value with me, a deeper knowledge of it won't change how I feel one way or the other. I just don't have the time or patience to be educated as to why something as subjective as music is either good, or bad. It is what it is.

Bermuda
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

Too funny, he's like a male "Elaine". That's just tragic.

Some people just shouldn't expose their dancing to the masses lol. Me included for sure lol.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Doctor Dirt

I see I knew shallow people in the past, I understand. So listening to a nice rhythm guitar that most anyone could play would get a positive but not amazed comment from you?? Yet if you did look "deeper" to find the chords were barred and the strumming was both accomplished by using feet that would still keep the ordinary rhythm just that, ordinary?
Yeah screw looking deeper to much effort! Doc
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The way Mick moves always made me cringe. He's just too fuity. For a song about dancing in the streets, where is everybody? This is a major party song. Two people do not a party make. It just doesn't work on any level for me, except perhaps the music track, which I can't disparage. I can't say I disliked the way they sang it either, just the visuals make me want to hurl. If I was asked to approve this for release, I would seriously laugh in their faces, like "Are you serious?". You can do better than that. You forgot the party.
I think Larry nails it.

For two legendary singers, it's just a disaster.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Disturbing? I always thought it was a fun video and a great track as well.
I just laugh at the video now, but, yeah the track is pretty good actually.

Quote:
I do like early Rolling Stones, tunes like Midnight Rambler, Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown and a few more.........
I don't care for most British front men/singers they all put on a very gay/homosexual act that in my younger years was a huge distraction from the music and vaulted these groups into the "Act" catagory.
I think that honor belongs to Elvis, he just wore nicer clothes. I like the cover of Route 66 that the Stones did.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Besides the party, the only other thing missing was Billy Squier dancing there with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
I prefer the Van Halen version of "Dancing In The Street" out of the "Diverdown" album and the Karen Carpenter version as well!!!

Van Halen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dhrFDva6E

Karen Carpenter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAy6...eature=related

Bowie & Jagger are way too...........softy for my bitter taste!
Yeah, I'm kinda biased to the VH version, but my hippy parents were always playing the Mamas and the Papas.

Quote:

Classic. We have to contact the producers of Family Guy. Ha!

Quote:
Too funny, he's like a male "Elaine". That's just tragic.

Some people just shouldn't expose their dancing to the masses lol. Me included for sure lol.
Elaine! That's the truth. He would give her a run for her money. That was a great Seinfeld.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Obviously both of these "guys" are "great" or they wouldn't be millionaires, right? mnnnnn No!! Both have tremendous vocal range, right? mnnnnnnn No! Both handsome and manly to a fault, right? mnnnnnnnn No!
Do I enjoy Mick Jagger and his music? No!
Both were able to write a hell of a song though. "Great"? In a songwriting sense.....damned straight they have the ability to be great. You not liking them is perfectly acceptable to me......but it doesn't change the fact that both have written great music.

Quote:
I like something, or I don't. There's no need to have to dig deep or insist there be certain values, a song/video either works for me, or it doesn't.
+1. If it moves me, it gets a hearing.......if it doesn't, I'll leave it by the wayside. I don't wanna have to over analyse why I don't like something when there's so much I do like. I'd rather focus on that.

Quote:
Two people do not a party make. .
Oh yes they can old mate....get your raggedy backside down to Oz and I'll show you how. :-)

Quote:
I see I knew shallow people in the past,
Come on mate. He doesn't agree with you so now he's shallow? Turn it up.

Your ability to see things from someone else's perspective is severly lacking itself, Doc. Half of what you post is living testimony to this. But as much as I find your rhetorical rants amusing.......if you're gonna stand in that glass house......it pays not to throw stones.

FWIW, I was never much of a fan of this track....but I think both artists have certainly done "great" things.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 11-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator

And of course there is nothing better than the original, unless it's a parody by our favorite accordion player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvITn5cAVc
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
This video was pretty disturbing back in the 80's. Family Guy brought new life to it. I think Peter Griffin hit the nail on the head. It's no wonder I stayed away from bands like the Stones and Bowie when I was a teenager back in the 80's. This is the Mick Jagger and David Bowie I was exposed to. It wasn't until the late 90's until I understood what their music was all about. Nowadays Bowie is one of my all-time favorites, as well as the Stones.
When I saw this post title, I thought of that Family Guy episode and starting laughing. That was a hysterical clip. And the show let the entire video run. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Doctor Dirt

Damn fellas relax I'm just foolin around, its like when I say something everyone gets their panties all twisted hahaha!!! I don't think their great song writers sorry, The Gershwin Bros were great song writers, Duke Ellington was a great writer, Johnny Mercer was a a great writer. They wrote classic tunes with rhythms, beats, melodies and releases that were arrainged to perfection. If you think that some clown in make up is a great performer and song writer its ok but theres so much more adult music out here that you haven't even heard of let alone listened too. I understand their popularity in the rock n roll world but is this just a rock drummers forum? I'm beginning to think it is because the word great is constantly used to describe some single stroked meth moron who destroys equipment with better timing than he keeps, yet hes great. When you hear Daniel Bowies tunes in comparison to Marvin Gayes or Stevie Wonders or Bill (Smoky) Robinsons you gotta be kidding me right? Whatever! NEXT!! Doc
Old 11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Do I enjoy David Bowie and his music? Yes!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Rebel

Hey Doc! I'm borrowing this one shamelessly from you...jajaja

Quote:
its like when I say something everyone gets their panties all twisted hahaha!!! IWhatever! NEXT!! Doc
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

One of those times when the sum is less than the individual parts. Love the Stones. Love Bowie. This cover and the vid did nothing for me at the time. They badly needed Rick Astley in there with them to give the song a lift :)

Having said that, I heard it on the car radio the other day for the first time in many years. I enjoyed hearing the contrasting way each of the guys sang their lines and the pop arrangement is well done.

Of course, this could be construed as an indictment of the other stuff on the radio more than the quality of the cover ...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Damn fellas relax I'm just foolin around, its like when I say something everyone gets their panties all twisted hahaha!!!
Twisted? Nah....I'm not wearing any. :-)

You are free to say as you please. I don't begrudge your opinions, even when I don't agree.....but I'm free to flip the coin and speak from the otherside. That's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
I don't think their great song writers sorry.
Fair enough. I don't ask that you agree with me, but I do think they've written some great material. That doesn't make either of us wrong or right. It just confirms what I've known for years.......music has something for everyone.

Quote:
The Gershwin Bros were great song writers, Duke Ellington was a great writer, Johnny Mercer was a a great writer.
Yep. Right along with Jagger/Richards, Lennon/McCartney, Bowie and countless others from the rock world.

Quote:
When you hear Daniel Bowies tunes in comparison to Marvin Gayes or Stevie Wonders or Bill (Smoky) Robinsons you gotta be kidding me right?
No. I kid you not. They ALL do something for me musically. Each for reasons as wide and varied as the musicians themselves. I'm thankful for a world where they can all co-exist, not tread on each others toes and I can pick and choose which one I want to listen to and when. Such variety......it's like a dream for all seasons isn't it?

I like steak, but I like ice cream too. Why should I choose definitively.....why can't I have both......plus anything else that tickles my fancy along the way?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Doctor Dirt

Maybe because ...............your from down under??????? I see now, didn't see where you were "really" come in from hahahaha!!!! I'm from the inner city, grew up on T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino Louis Jordan and the likes of Blues to Rhythmn N Blues and Swing and Jazz then Soul. However I do respect the "Lil River Band" a hell of alot more than the Stones hahaha anyone can play the Stones tunes its so easy you could be a sleep learning it, I'd love to hear some shmo band playing Stones covers start a rehearsal on the Lil Rivers Vocals!!!
That would be priceless!!! Well its no big deal you get your fancy tickled by Bowie cause you don't wear draws, and I'll not listen at all. Is he related to Meatloaf??? Nah! Doc
Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 AM

That has to be one of the worst songs / clips in the history of the universe - what a blatant money making grab - shame Mick shame!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe because ...............your from down under??????? I see now, didn't see where you were "really" come in from hahahaha!!!! I'm from the inner city, grew up on T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino Louis Jordan and the likes of Blues to Rhythmn N Blues and Swing and Jazz then Soul. However I do respect the "Lil River Band" a hell of alot more than the Stones hahaha anyone can play the Stones tunes its so easy you could be a sleep learning it, I'd love to hear some shmo band playing Stones covers start a rehearsal on the Lil Rivers Vocals!!!
That would be priceless!!! Well its no big deal you get your fancy tickled by Bowie cause you don't wear draws, and I'll not listen at all. Is he related to Meatloaf??? Nah! Doc
It's all in the perspective mate. You know that when viewed from a certain angle in space, the world is upside down and Downunder is on top!! :-)

You grew up listening to some "great" music Doc, no doubt. I just don't think greatness stopped with those guys or in that era, is all.

From T-Bone to Tool......if it moves you, then that's "great" as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha cheeky blighter. PFOG is correct ... when the universe has a THIS WAY UP sign then I'll accept that Oz is "down under"!

I believe the correct term for you is "blues snob" heeheehee (just givin ya crap :)

Seriously though, the Stones tunes are easy enough to play, but not to write, nor to play with the spirit the Stones gave those songs. Also, bear in mind that Keef played a lot of partials that young garage players fudge with bar chords.

PFOG and I came up listening to some fabulous artists that most of you Yanks don't know about (excluding Unfunkyfooted, who's a true internationalist) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82370. The pub rock scene here in the 70s and 80s was great but sadly is no more.

Personally, I'm loathe to dis established artists because they release best selling albums, play in front of thousands of people and are loved by millions around the world ... it would seem odd for a two bit local player like me to cast judgement. I'm a big fan of the atmospheric pieces Bowie's German period music too.

But Dancing in the Street? It was super popular but give me Sticky Fingers and Heroes any day!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And of course there is nothing better than the original, unless it's a parody by our favorite accordion player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvITn5cAVc
Yeah, I'll have to agree with you there, although VH is a close second. There's some good cowbell in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
When I saw this post title, I thought of that Family Guy episode and starting laughing. That was a hysterical clip. And the show let the entire video run. Thanks for posting.
It was one of their best cut-away scenes they did. Saw it a while ago but a rerun just played recently and reminded me of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
One of those times when the sum is less than the individual parts. Love the Stones. Love Bowie. This cover and the vid did nothing for me at the time. They badly needed Rick Astley in there with them to give the song a lift :)

Having said that, I heard it on the car radio the other day for the first time in many years. I enjoyed hearing the contrasting way each of the guys sang their lines and the pop arrangement is well done.

Of course, this could be construed as an indictment of the other stuff on the radio more than the quality of the cover ...
Rick Astley and Billy Squier! Now it's a party. ha ha! Actually, I don't think the version is all that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
That has to be one of the worst songs / clips in the history of the universe - what a blatant money making grab - shame Mick shame!
Oh yeah! That video is so bad that it's good. Check out the Billy Squier one too. Shame!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Actually, it was recorded for charity.

So while it was technically a money grab, and is a rather shameful performance, there was some good intent behind it.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
..........but give me Sticky Fingers ...............any day!
I'm off to review their finest period. Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and It's Only Rock 'n Roll.........just to spite Doc. It's gonna be "great"

And when I'm done, I'll be back to tell him just how "GREAT" it was!! :-)
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I see I knew shallow people in the past, I understand. So listening to a nice rhythm guitar that most anyone could play would get a positive but not amazed comment from you?? Yet if you did look "deeper" to find the chords were barred and the strumming was both accomplished by using feet that would still keep the ordinary rhythm just that, ordinary?
Yeah screw looking deeper to much effort! Doc
You're deliberately missing/twisting my point.

I short, I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.

Think of it like being told a joke - you either get it, or you don't. If it has to be explained to you, it's no longer funny.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 11-26-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Further clarification
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

to be in honest, i don't think they recorded the song to be an earth shattering cover. if i remember correctly, it was just thrown together over about three days - video shoot included, simply because they wanted to do something together. they decided to give the money to charity. it was around the time of Live Aid...in fact, i think it premiered on Live Aid. i could be wrong on that. but if not it premiered only a coupla days afterwards.

and yes, i always hated it. : )

noble cause though. hey, let's do something together. no time to write something. let's do "Dancing In The Street" and record it and shoot the video all in 3 days. and let's give the money to charity.

i can live with that.

thanks for the shout out Polly.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Bowie was better when he hooked up with Bing Crosby. Although I don't think they pranced around on that one.

Looking back at the Dancin video, it really does look like a SNL parody. And they don't come off as very masculine with their moves and their clothes.

Now contrast that with Bowie's Let's Dance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7W...feature=relmfu

Is Bowie really playing the guitar with white gloves? LOL

Interesting factoid:

The original plan was to perform a track together live, with Bowie performing at Wembley Stadium and Jagger at John F. Kennedy Stadium, until it was realized that the satellite link-up would cause a half-second delay that would make this impossible unless either Bowie or Jagger mimed their contribution, something neither artist was willing to do.

Last edited by inneedofgrace; 11-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Now contrast that with Bowie's Let's Dance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7W...feature=relmfu

Is Bowie really playing the guitar with white gloves? LOL
whom you are hearing is Stevie Ray Vaughn. he recorded the album, but fell out with Bowie over $$$ and declined to do the tour.

this was before his later fame.

i (almost) saw him open for the Pretenders back in '84. as i entered the arena, there was this guitar player playing with his teeth and behind his back and between his legs and i'm wondering who the heck is THAT ?, as i stole glances while trying to find my seat. as soon as i get to my seat and plop down, the arena announcer says: "That was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble !!!"

that's why i say i "almost" saw him. :P my thought at the time was, ah, so that's the Stevie Ray Vaughn everyone is talking about....followed quickly by:

eh. BRING ON THE 'TENDERS !!!!!!!!

Last edited by unfunkyfooted; 11-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
whom you are hearing is Stevie Ray Vaughn. he recorded the album, but fell out with Bowie over $$$ and declined to do the tour.

this was before his later fame.

i (almost) saw him open for the Pretenders back in '84. as i entered the arena, there was this guitar player playing with his teeth and behind his back and between his legs and i'm wondering who the heck is THAT ?, as i stole glances while trying to find my seat. as soon as i get to my seat and plop down, the arena announcer says: "That was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble !!!"

that's why i say i "almost" saw him. :P my thought at the time was, ah, so that's the Stevie Ray Vaughn everyone is talking about....followed quickly by:

eh. BRING ON THE 'TENDERS !!!!!!!!
You are quite correct sir, and Tony Thompson on drums!

Quote:
Musicians:
David Bowie: Vocals
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Guitar
Nile Rodgers: Guitar
Carmine Rojas: Bass
Omar Hakim, Tony Thompson: Drums
Rob Sabino: Keyboards
Mac Gollehon: Trumpet
Robert Aaron, Stan Harrison, Steve Elson: Saxophone
Sammy Figueroa: Percussion
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

i did not know that.

wow. i should have caught that.

thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Upon further review, I don't think the VH video comes off any more manly, especially the way Roth prances around and the white gloves he wears. Although the two Van Halen brothers look pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBpJUzz79c

I have no idea what Roth is wearing in this live version. And the backing vocals are horrendous. How did we survive the 80's??

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Upon further review, I don't think the VH video comes off any more manly, especially the way Roth prances around and the white gloves he wears. Although the two Van Halen brothers look pretty good:

I have no idea what Roth is wearing in this live version. And the backing vocals are horrendous. How did we survive the 80's??

I didn't really judge the song based on the videos, but yeah, you are right about that. You hear the way Alex plays that cowbell in the studio version? Now that's how you play a cowbell!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I missed this. LOL - what a funny little man. Imagine being the director and saying "Good work, Billy. That's a take" after he's just pranced gauchely across the room. Maybe Ed Wood was directing?

But if you close your eyes he had a cool Robert Plant thing going vocally ...

Quote:
I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.
Nicely put, Jon. Some people have a bottom line of mastery when it comes to listening, so they won't ever enjoy a White Stripes song on principle.

I'm more like you - if I like it I like it. Anything from The Shaggs's to Mahavishnu Orchestra to John Cage to Abba ... it's all just "food".