DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 AM

Default IEMs - dual vs triple driver

I need to order some new ear buds. I had been using some Shures (maybe the e3's?), and I think they were single driver, and I was happy enough with them. I thought they sounded good, but they are broken now. My singer/bandleader is recommending LiveWires (custom molded) to me, and he uses the dual drivers. They also offer triple drivers, but the price difference is about $130. The dual drivers are $250, and the triple drivers are $380. I don't mind spending extra if the difference is really justifiable, and I'm pretty sure I would like the dual drivers just fine, but I want to be more sure before I pull the trigger and order. Do any of you use triple drivers, and does the difference justify the price difference? I'm asking here partially because I want a drummer's perspective. I am actually on keyboard for this group, but of course I'll use these for drum gigs too.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: IEMs - dual vs triple driver

It's really important to be able to test various IEMs with multiple driver configs. Dual and triple driver configs will offer a better sound reproduction of sub frequencies which is usually the complaint about single driver IEMs.

There are a multitude of choices out there. Some with even 5 and 6 drivers. These can get pretty expensive.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 AM

Thanks TTNW. Does anyone else out there have any comments? I'd like to order these things as soon as I can.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

my JH-16s have 8 drivers ea....Id recommend no less than 4 drivers. Something like this: http://www.jhaudio.com/content/jh11-pro

Jerry Harvey (JH) invented the IEM, he knows his stuff.

F
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

I have a set of shure e1's and a set of e4's and am very happy with the quality of both, If something were to happen to these ones id probably split the difference on a set of e3's and although the $800-$1000 ones sound extremely good i dont think id risk that kind of cash on something that could get damaged easily.As it is now i use my e1's at home and rehearsal and save the e4's for gigging.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
my JH-16s have 8 drivers ea....Id recommend no less than 4 drivers. Something like this: http://www.jhaudio.com/content/jh11-pro

Jerry Harvey (JH) invented the IEM, he knows his stuff.

F
Thats just insane. I have both single and triple drivers and thats more then enough (and even 2 drivers could do well) All the other things are just a waste of money.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 AM

Yeah, Florian, no offense, but if I was interested in anything anywhere near the price range of those JH's you linked to, I wouldn't be asking about the LiveWires. The one's you are suggesting seem to be more than twice the price of the triple drivers I'm asking about...

Alright, if nobody else chimes in I'll probably order the dual drivers soon. I'm sure they sound great. I just wanted to know if anyone thought I'd be missing anything important by not spending the extra $130 on triple drivers.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

none taken.... ya gotta do what cha gotta do.

F