DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Default Vintage drum sound

Hey Y'all.

Which drum heads of today (mainly bass speaking) will emulate the vintage boomy sound of Joe Morello and the other Jazz legends?

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrm...eature=related )

Not sure if this matters
Dimensions: Bass; 22 x 14, TT; 12 x 8 FT; 16 x 15

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Vintage drum sound

My first guess would be coated ambassadors with felt strips.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Doctor Dirt

Possiblly coated Emperiors, 2 to 3 inch felt strip front or back should get you there. Joe tuned high in his early days the kick was an accent then not a regulator of the beat like todays drumming is perfomed. Just tune high and go for that high tenor sound, I personally don't care for his early tuning but most of the jazz drummers tuned high the drums needed to cut through back then and ofcourse the stick responce was a big thing too. Other than the modern kick drum heads you should be able to get that sound with any 2ply head. Doc
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Coated Ambassadors (or G1s)
Coated Emperors (or G2s)
Aquarian Vintage (Modern or American, depending on your drum make/year)

Clear single ply reso heads for a projecting, brighter sound. Coated single ply or Aquarian vintage for a warmer sound.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

From this angle, looks like Joe prepped his batter head with a felt patch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAlgKuTOH4&feature=fvst right at the beater impact zone. Looks like a Speed King pedal with the stock hard felt beater.
Also important, the thin shelled kick drum with re-inforcement ring. Joe played a Ludwig kit in the Brubeck days. Also, technique, get the beater off the head quick.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Possiblly coated Emperiors, 2 to 3 inch felt strip front or back should get you there. Joe tuned high in his early days the kick was an accent then not a regulator of the beat like todays drumming is perfomed. Just tune high and go for that high tenor sound, I personally don't care for his early tuning but most of the jazz drummers tuned high the drums needed to cut through back then and ofcourse the stick responce was a big thing too. Other than the modern kick drum heads you should be able to get that sound with any 2ply head. Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Coated Ambassadors (or G1s)
Coated Emperors (or G2s)
Aquarian Vintage (Modern or American, depending on your drum make/year)

Clear single ply reso heads for a projecting, brighter sound. Coated single ply or Aquarian vintage for a warmer sound.
So it seems I should get Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors for the whole kit, was that the standard back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
From this angle, looks like Joe prepped his batter head with a felt patch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAlgKuTOH4&feature=fvst right at the beater impact zone. Looks like a Speed King pedal with the stock hard felt beater.
Also important, the thin shelled kick drum with re-inforcement ring. Joe played a Ludwig kit in the Brubeck days. Also, technique, get the beater off the head quick.
Good eye, I cant tell if it is a Speed King or not, but that doesn't matter. I already use one, by far the best pedal I've ever used. Also, Is there a big difference between felt patch or felt strips?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Foot View Post
So it seems I should get Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors for the whole kit, was that the standard back then?
Nope. Coated Ambassador batters was the standard. Well, calfskin, then Ambassadors, and THEN coated Ambassadors. The single-ply heads will give you more of a "tone" tuned low and more of a "boing" tuned high. Double-ply heads give you more of a "thump" or "rumble" tuned low and more of a "tone" tuned high. It all depends on what tension/sound you want.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Foot View Post
Also, Is there a big difference between felt patch or felt strips?
Yeah. They serve two different roles.
The felt patch that Harry pointed out is there to protect the bass drum head from the constant beater strikes. They were taped or glued to the head where the beater impacts......an early version of the modern day falam slam patch etc.
The felt strip runs across the shell underneath the head in order to muffle the overtones.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:14 PM
audiotech

Besides the drummer, drums, heads and of course the tuning, a lot of that vintage sound is also a mixture of the microphone technique that they used in that time period. Very little if anything was ever close miked and most kits only had one or two with one suspended far above the kit. Everything sounded hugh and very open and most of the instruments bled into the other microphones.

Dennis
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

I'd go for Aquarian Modern Vintage across the whole kit and tune fairly high. They're great heads, and really capture that era's sound. I love them.