DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Default Do KickPorts work?

I think, I wanna get one. But rather than waste $90 buying one and it doesnt work, I'd like to know from people who OWN one if they actually make your bassdrum sound better :)
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Do KickPorts work?

I was thinking of getting one so I asked a very knowledgable drum tech, (that has toured the world with many platinum selling bands and also runs a shop), whether they're worth it or not...he said they're most useful on smaller bass drums, which is why you often see them displayed on 20" bass drums. If you've got a 22" x 18" for example, then you needn't bother with 'em.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

That's interesting. I'd guess a porthole will always be a benefit, depending on the target sound and on the precise diameter of the hole (and exact location), compared to the bassdrum size.

To the OP:
A statement like "...bassdrum sound better" is highly subjective. For a reasonable "discussion" one needs to know (IMO):

- What bassdrum do you have currently (make, size, head)?
- How does your bassdrum sound ATM, what is it you don't like?
- What's your preferred sound?

Prior to getting a porthole - did you experiment with dampening/muting?
Old 11-24-2011, 03:24 PM
sticks4drums

Myself I like the non ported sound of a kick drum better. I will be picking up a couple of Kelly Shu's to permanently live in my bass drums, with mics attached.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:13 PM
audiotech

In my opinion, a port hole helps indicate to the sound guy where to put the microphone, lol. More than a sonic influence, a port hole will cause a different feel in pedal rebound. I really believe though that with practice, the correct beater and the tightness of the batter head, the rebound issue can easily be overcome. I have a couple of 22" bass drum resonant heads with small 4" holes burnt into them, but they always sit in their boxes because I prefer the sound of an unported drum.

If you port the head and don't care for its sound and feel, $40 will rectify the situation.

Dennis
Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I have one on my Gretsch Renown 22 x 18 bass drum and it made a world of difference. My drum is the only one I have heard one on so I can only speak for me. I have a Gretsch logo head, black, on my drum and did not want to put a hole in it to keep it original so I tried it on a Remo White head. It sounded great so I cut a hole in the Gretsch head. No looking back. Buy one. Open the package carefully removing the staples. Try it with out putting the reinforcement ring on and if you don't like it take it back. Putting it back in the carefully opened package and re-stapling the opening. Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 11-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 PM

I forgot to say that I use an EMAD 2 that is just a fraction tighter than Bob Gatzen's "lowest possible pitch/just above wrinkle"...which is also part of the reason that the drum tech told me not to bother as I'm already tuned pretty low.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthedrumkid97 View Post
.... waste $90 buying one and it doesnt work...
Well, I sure wouldn't spend $90 on one ... they cost around $39.99. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kickport...ource=4WWRWXGB
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Where on earth do these cost 90 bucks? Because I sure wouldn't be shopping there. My local shop sells them for $36 bucks.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Doctor Dirt

The ONLY reason to port a drum is if your gonna use an internal mic system. It has nothing to do with drum sizes!! The port gives you quick access if you need to get to the mic and unless you have some really sophisticated outboard gear for controling the mic sound your gonna need a sound release (air) a hell of alot bigger than a gromet hahaha!!!
An internal set up is great if you work alot and its a great convience, I used them for close to 30 yrs. I can't work anymore because of injuries sustained in an accident but the 2 gigs a month I do now are played with a "full" head and an outboard mic. I'm enjoying the tuning of a batter and reso again and the drums have sustain that you can't get with a ported reso head so its pretty nice. Old school was and is a great place to be, especially on drums. Doc

trace a 5" circle with a razor blade, done!!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM

I added one I got free from work to my 18"x22" Pork Pie maple kick, and got a much boomier sound, with quite a bit of added low end.

The only issue I have, is that certain kick drum mics would not fit well inside the port hole with the kick port in it, due to the scoop of the port - however a D6 will not give you any issues.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Also, I've been wanting to try one of these for a while. I've only heard good things about them.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Where on earth do these cost 90 bucks? Because I sure wouldn't be shopping there. My local shop sells them for $36 bucks.
He's in Aussie, things are more expensive down under, just the way it is.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Is anybody using one on a larger kick, like a 24x18?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
He's in Aussie, things are more expensive down under, just the way it is.
Fair point. I didn't look at his location.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
in australia they're $80, and to get them from the states its about $40 + $40 shipping, so no win for us here.

in my experience it has made a small difference, but only if you use very minimal muffling, so that the drum can actually sing.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

They work. Will you hear $90 right out of the box? Maybe not, but you will hear $40-50

What about ebay? We are happy to ship to Australia, and do so quite often.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
That's interesting. I'd guess a porthole will always be a benefit, depending on the target sound and on the precise diameter of the hole (and exact location), compared to the bassdrum size.

To the OP:
A statement like "...bassdrum sound better" is highly subjective. For a reasonable "discussion" one needs to know (IMO):

- What bassdrum do you have currently (make, size, head)?
- How does your bassdrum sound ATM, what is it you don't like?
- What's your preferred sound?

Prior to getting a porthole - did you experiment with dampening/muting?
my bass drum is a Gretsch Cat maple 18x 22 and im using an Evans EMAD. Right now it isnt loud enough and there is too much attack probably because I cut my reso hole too big. I want a warmer, lower pitched and more boomy sound.

I have a couple of small blankets at the bottom that are resting against both heads
Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Myself I like the non ported sound of a kick drum better. I will be picking up a couple of Kelly Shu's to permanently live in my bass drums, with mics attached.
When I get a new reso head i plan on keep it without a port as well :)

but for now mine has a 6" hole in it
Old 11-26-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Well, I sure wouldn't spend $90 on one ... they cost around $39.99. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kickport...ource=4WWRWXGB
from my local drum shop they cost 80$ - $90

I live in australia lol
Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
The ONLY reason to port a drum is if your gonna use an internal mic system.

trace a 5" circle with a razor blade, done!!
The thread is about a product called a kickport, not about a crude hole cut into the head. And cutting the way you describe is not a good way, first sound guy to nick the head with a stand, bang there goes your $50 dollar head.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM

I just bought one on eBay from Memphis Drum Shop. It was $39 with free shipping. I have a 22 x 18" PDP CX with EMAD on the batter and resonant sides. The resonant happened to have a mic hole that fit the kickport perfectly. Directions guide you to put the kickport on without removing the head, but after spending 5 minutes and not getting anywhere with it I removed the head and installed the kickport in seconds. Immediately I could not only hear the low end more prominently I could feel it as well. A little too "fat" for my taste actually. I usually JAW tune (Just above wrinkle). I had to tighten it up a bit and I am very impressed with the sound, and it adds a little flare aesthetically out front. It's a sensible purchase. You can remove it at anytime and put it back on in minutes. It uses a compression gasket to stay in place, no tape or glue or anything that causes you to damage your head unless you have to cut a hole in your stock head which I would never do. Save your original head and buy one with a mic hole already in it. It's nice to have that flexibility if you decide you want to change your sound later like we all do.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 AM

I just bought one at the local music store, $35.00. I didn't want to cut my original Mapex head (old style badge) and I bought a Remo powerstroke 3. Between those two changes it is a world of difference (not miked) and is more punchy and crisp IMO.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM

I just put one on an Evans EQ1 and it sounds pretty much the same as the EMAD Reso I had on there.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM

I love using a KickPort - but most engineers don't mic them correctly. The sound wave is affected by using it so you want to mic what COMES OUT OF IT, NOT what's inside of it.

Micing a few inches back, maybe off axis slightly, is amazing. I feel it behind the kick and it is great on the stage. No affect on the tone of the drum and I can tune without adding extra stuffing in my kick. On my micro- Hip-Gig, I use a SuperKick2 with a KickPort2 and an EMPTY kick drum.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastd View Post
I love using a KickPort - but most engineers don't mic them correctly. The sound wave is affected by using it so you want to mic what COMES OUT OF IT, NOT what's inside of it.

Micing a few inches back, maybe off axis slightly, is amazing. I feel it behind the kick and it is great on the stage. No affect on the tone of the drum and I can tune without adding extra stuffing in my kick. On my micro- Hip-Gig, I use a SuperKick2 with a KickPort2 and an EMPTY kick drum.
A great bit of information! Because i was thinking that the mic should be placed inside the port also!!

I bought a small knockoff version of the kickport, and it has still satisfied me! I have a clearn PS3 batter and ebony PS3 reso with no muffling and my 22x18 sounds beautiful! i've got a good attack, and a nice low end tone with a comfortable enough sustain to let my drum still sound alive!

It is about the perfect BD sound for me, however i do want to experiment using a PS4 batter..
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

I bought one and put it on my Pearl Export kick drum. It did in fact make a good noticeable difference in my opinion. I wouldn't get your hopes up for any thing really extraordinary tho. But it's certainly worth the money.
Ohh, and my reson head had an existing port hole, but the KickPort does come with a reinforcement ring if u cut your own hole ( it's basically a thick ring sticker). I recommend if you're cutting your own hole, just find a 5 or 6" piece of stove pipe, heat it up with a light torch, then press it into the head where u want the hole. That way, you'll have a perfect circle.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 AM

I recently did a YT video of some different bass drum miking setups, also tried a kick port, with a 22 x 18 bass drum. There is a difference in sound, definitely it has more low.
However, I didn't care for the feel and like a bit more punchy sound so I took it out. I can understand that some people will love it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM

One of the things that I notice about using a Kickport is that I don't need as much stuffing in the drum with it. Once I'm tuned up, it's really just about finding what works for what I'm doing. Right now, I have no stuffing at all and have an SK2 on it. The feel is excellent.

The thing is, no matter what, you have to like it. I love it. I can feel the difference and won't play without it. It's not an 18" sub, but, when air moves and the drum is tuned, it hits me in the chest much more than without it.

The other thing I've noticed is that cutting a fresh head to exactly 5 1/4" works best. No noise, no rattling, better seal and fit. Also, like I said in earlier part of this thread, when you mic it up ---- mic what comes OUT of a Kickport, NOT what's inside it. Adjusting nearer/farther and just listening to find the sweet spot makes everything sound so solid.

For what it's worth, I'm now on my 2nd one. Amazingly durable. The Kickport 2 is what I have now and I love it. Better fit, slightly less mush, less ring-y, I think.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

I would just buy it. It will give u a noticeable difference. It's worth the money. It's nothing over the top, but I use mine and I love it. The best sound I could get out of my kick before I got the KickPort, when micing, was with the mic inside the drum. I now have a much deeper boom with the mic directly in front of the KickPort outside the drum.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM

They really work well on a 20" bass drum especially live. They give it some real kick! A white one looks really good on black skin by the way.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM

I made my own from a 6"x6" stereo bass port tube. $6 from Parts Express. I affixed it carefully with Plumber's Goop. Just an experiment, but I was actually surprised at the effect. Definite lower end presence. Loss of air in the drum was felt (I'm used to solid reso heads), but the difference was not bothersome and placing the tube in different positions, relative to the position of the beater on the batter head, made a difference in sound, feel, and mic pick-up. I ended up going 12 o'clock for the best sound, feel, and mic placement, which is actually a good 12" from the port.

It sounds different on different heads, including batter heads. Naturally, the heavier the reso head, the deeper the pitch and overall effect. Whether KickPort or bass tube, once installed any lightweight head immediately deadens. Resonance remains but is naturally muted. I went from using an Evans oil head to Black Reso. The oil head gave the drum a deeper pitch to begin with. I went from EQ4s to Attack dble ply for batters and the difference was enormous in all areas - audible to physical feel. I like the Attacks much better. I have nothing inside the drum for muffling, just a couple moon gel pads on the batter heads.

I do question the physical characteristics of sound relative to live playing, though. Even studio recording. When the rest of the instruments are going the effect of the port is pretty much lost to my ears. The idea of using a KickPort with blankets, etc inside the drum seems antithetical to the principle of the thing.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
audiotech

The KickPorts might have an effect on the extreme lower frequencies of the bass drum, but it cannot do this without audibly affect other lower frequencies or harmonics of the drum. If you are not able to hear this, then all well and good, but if you can, then you know what I'm talking about.

Dennis
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I do question the physical characteristics of sound relative to live playing, though. Even studio recording. When the rest of the instruments are going the effect of the port is pretty much lost to my ears. The idea of using a KickPort with blankets, etc inside the drum seems antithetical to the principle of the thing.

Its no secret KICKPORT is tuning the lower 30hz area of the bass drum, blankets or not.

KICKPORT is a tuned port, it emphasizes (as in makes louder) frequencies that are already there, doesn't create any new frequencies.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 PM

Old thread but hey, I searched before throwing up a new post! Aren't I smart? Anyway, I put one on my kick (24x18 classic maple). I have a clear ps3 batter and an aquarian regulator reso. Holy crap! To say it works was an understatement. First thing I noticed was it felt like more actual tone was discernible. The low end was amplified both behind and in front of the kit. My band members are usually oblivious to anything I do. They were all, what did you do to your kick drum? Now I know the directions say not to use a premuffled reso but its what was on the drum. I wonder what it would sound like with a non muffled reso? It really was a great modification for the money.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
Is anybody using one on a larger kick, like a 24x18?
My friend put it on 24x18 Maple Custom, PS4 and stock reso, no muffling. Guess it has more boom, but nothing significant, probably due to tuning. I have to hear it more and try it on my 22x17 Tour Custom. I have Emad2 and Emad reso, really interested what will happen.

Last edited by savudin; 04-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM

I use it on a 20x18 and it works really well! It makes the sound more controlled and punchy but also louder so it sounds like a 22 now. Would recommend it to anyone who has a 20 but wants it to be louder and sound bigger without losing all of that 20 goodness
Remo
Vater
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 AM

It doesn´t work for me.

Just bought and installed one in my 20x14 Classic Maple. It sounded better without it. It muffles too much the resonant head.

I wish I had wasted my money in something else.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Hervy View Post
It doesn´t work for me.

Just bought and installed one in my 20x14 Classic Maple. It sounded better without it. It muffles too much the resonant head.

I wish I had wasted my money in something else.

KICKPORT has some mass, 231.3 grams (new version), 185.9 (old).

So when you cut your hole keep this in mind. Should you have a thin reso head, you're going to want to mount the KICKPORT more towards the center. Also make sure any dampening material you might have inside the drum doesn't obstruct the hole.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Thing about stuff like that is everybody like different things and the way everyone playes is a little bit different and everybodys tone is a little bit different so a drumport might work for one person it might not work for the next.

Eventually if you get the money try one out. If you like it great you found part of your tone. If not crap you need a new bass head.