DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Left to right, right to left. Interchangeable pedals

Hello!

I'm a right footed player that would like to experiment with the kit, like I noticed a few drummers in here have. I have a DW 5002 AH double pedal that I'm quite pleased with, but it isn't possible to make it "left footed". I know that the Taye XP-1 has that possibility, but are there any others? I don't wanna buy a lefty pedal just to test something that might not work out like I thought.

Thanks!

JoeZoot
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Left to right, right to left. Interchangeable pedals

I don't know about the pedal, but I would suggest start off by playing left handed with a single pedal. This will give you time to improve your left foot so that when you change to double you can lead with it more easily :)
Just my thoughts
Jackson
Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZoot View Post
but are there any others?
Yep.....the expensive ones. ;-)

I know for certain the Pearl Demon Drive can be converted and I'm sure I've read that the Trick and possibly the Axis pedals can too.....although I think that Axis require additional parts to do it. I believe there's also a Yamaha pedal that can be converted but I have no idea which model. I also think I've read that if you reverse the pedal tower on Iron Cobra's they play as a lefty as well (but I'm happy to be wrong on this one as I'm not totally certain).
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM

I have a double pedal (my third actually. My first was a no-name piece of sh*t, my second was a Pearl "pre proffessional stuff", my current, from the nineties is a DW 5002 AH), I just wanna test something like what JeremyS is doing. You can find pics here

A: I wanna be able to position the toms a little lower, and
2: (see what I did there? Paul Reiser from Mad about you) maybe put my 18" kick to the right of the slave pedal (that I would use as my main pedal, being a right handed drummer), for jazzy stuff, and fun stuff.

I don't wanna spend hundreds of 's on a lefty pedal, if it turns out not to work like it does in my head.

I know that the Demon drive can be converted, but I want more examples :) I haven't even looked at my DW's "that way", but I'm guessing they won't convert? How about the Speed Cobras? A store in Helsinki sells both them and the demons, so I could A/B them (the SC's are a bit less expensive).
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM

I e-mailed the drum department at Thomann, and this is what they replied, in about two minutes!

"
Hi there,
I called Mapex myself last week and they confirmed that this could be done with the Falcon!

"

Not bad :) Now all I have to do is try one out, like it, and get the money :D
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM

I tried a Falcon, and liked it :) but now I'm curious about the Yamaha pedal "Pocket-full-of-gold" says will convert.
Does anybody know witch model that is? A drummer I almost know has one for sale, if it's the right model I could try that one out.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Administrator

All of this reminds me of a thread from some time back about wishes we had for drum manufacturers . Why can't they make a double pedal that would be reversible for left or right. It seems so simple to me and it would seem the fix would be cheap and save the companies money in the long run.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Word!

And as we can see, a few manufacturers are doing it. I guess that's why, for example, the Demon Drive is "only" 666 ;D The Falcon is half the price, so for the moment it's the most realistic one, although the DD felt great.

I'm a bit confused by the "tiny splines" on the DD that someone wrote about. Has there been a lot of problems with them wearing out?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Here's that post, in the drumchat forum.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Whenever I want to "experiment" ... I buy used gear. If my experiment goes "wrong" ... I resell the item. Usually break even. Maybe loose a little due to shipping. But then again, I've actually made profit sometimes, turning items around.
If my idea works ... then ... I've saved money by buying used in the first place. If my idea works, but I now need to upgrade, again, sell the "test pilot" item, and drop the big cash on top line equipment.