DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Default Drum Dial Settings For Snare Tuning

Hi guys,

I recently got a Drum Dial to help me tune my drums and I'm experimenting with it to help me learn how to listen to the drums while tuning.

I'm curious about something. The booklet it came with it has some recommended settings. I'm trying to tune my 14x6 maple snare and currently the meter is reading at 90 bor the batter side.

The booklet recommends a tension between 85-90. Does that mean a 90 is the highest tuning and 85 is the lowest tuning? So if I'm going for a medium tuning should I take it to somewhere between 87-88 and then fine tune?

Basically I'm trying to discover the lowest and highest tunings of my snare.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drum Dial Settings For Snare Tuning

85~90 is what drum dial reccomended the tuning should be - there are no rules on what pitch you should tune it at. just don't be dumb and over tighten the head which could bend your hoops out and damage your skin lol. also a choked drum sounds bad

i have my batter head on my 14x5.5 starclassic b/b at around 87 and my reso side at about 70.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

I know they are recommended settings but I'm wondering does that mean that it is recommended for a medium tuning (between 85 and 90 it is pretty medium..) or does that mean that if I want a low tuning the recommended is 85 and if I want a high tuning the recommended is 90.

I'm trying to figure out the tension and sound ranges here.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 PM

I am new to using a drum dial. Only a couple of weeks. The best use I have found so far is to get the head in tune with itself. The rest is all subjective.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

you should try it out for yourself. see if your drum sounds good at something lower than the recommended say 80? then go up to 90? let your drum speak not the drum dial.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

The best tool to use is your own ears.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM

I know that 90 on my snare batter sounds alright but the lugs were getting a bit tight so I backed off to 87 and the sound was perfect. Find a number, play it with your whole kit, with other instruments if possible, and then play with other settings. Once you find that sweet spot you'll be able to get back to it pretty easy. Soon you won't even need the dial because that sound will be imprinted in your mind. I think of the dial as tuning training wheels.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 AM

When on the go and/or experimenting, I use my ears, but when I find the sound i want, or want to even out tension I always use my drum dial to 'record' that sound.

Obviously it won't always be the same with every head/drum/material/ and everything, but it's usually really close to what I want.

I literally just tuned my snare and with stock heads (Ludwig Black Magic) so I'm pretty sure it's close to Ambassador equivalents on both sides.
90-Batter
85-snareside
It has a nice crack, but I'm not sure because of the head or the 1mm brass shell, but it has a nice ring.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm still experimenting and learning. But I like the training wheels analogy. What I'm currently doing is first getting the batter head to around 89 in tension which seem to be a nice medium to high tuning, OK stick feel. Then I tune the resonant head by ear until I like overall sound of the snare. Once I get the resonant side where I think it should be I'm going looser or tighter with the batter side by the ear.