DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Mapex Falcon Direct Drive Doubles or Tama Iron Cobra Doubles?

Both my drum teachers have suggested me to buy a double pedal as it will benefit my playing somehow. So I've had a think about it and I've came to realize my left foot isn't as strong as it has been from the 3 week break I had when I went to America so this may help/benefit my left foot for playing hi-hats with my left foot (which I used to get pretty fast) and my Iron Cobra is sadly becoming very loose and unresponsive at times (I do doubles and then the pedal collapses, after 3 years). So I may need to get a new pedal but I'm thinking of giving doubles a try.

I've tried Iron Cobra doubles out and I liked them. Preferred the DW9000's but I'll never get the cash for one of those hahaha!
I've also tried the new Falcon Direct Drives and the feel is pretty awesome! And they're only new I think.

What would be better value?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Mapex Falcon Direct Drive Doubles or Tama Iron Cobra Doubles?

Your best bet is to get somewhere and try all them out and see what works for you because any of those are allot of dough to just buy then decide its not for you. You might also check out this as well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...r-double-pedal

and good luck.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

The Cobras go for about 320, the Falcon for 350. Not a big difference. Cobras are tried and true, but the Falcon is a heck of a pedal as well.

You might want to look at the Mapex Raptor, its direct drive and is only $230 for the double.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Silver Member

Actually cheaper to get the pedals from the US to the UK. Just very hard to find somewhere that will ship to the UK.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

I would steer clear of the Raptor pedal, seen a couple of them broken after only a few months use. If you see a photo of one from the right angle (directly front on) it's easy to see the design flaw.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 PM

i cant see anything what is the design flaw?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Looking at the right side of the main pedal - See the gap between the two axles? The axle is only supported on one side, and the housing that holds the bearing with the axle going through it is too small. What this means is that if the beater is against the head, and there is still downward pressure on the footboard, the axle cannot turn anymore so the force transfers through to the bearing housing and bends against it.

I didn't get to see my friend's one when it broke, he took it straight back to the store, but what he told me is that the bearing either popped out of it's housing, or part of the housing actually broke. He's a hard and fast player and other people might not have the same problem, but if you're playing metal you probably want it to be pretty tough.

The demon drives have the same one-support design, but the support is much wider (about 1.5" vs .75", at a guess) so leverage from the axle is not as really an issue. The linkage is also closer to the bearing so it has less leverage.

The Falcon pedal with the addon DD links are a better idea, IMO.

(Not my photo, found it on another forum)
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
sticks4drums

I will be getting two single Falcons and picking up the direct drive accessory for it, just so I can have the option. The Raptor is a cheaper made pedal, and cheaper in price.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 AM

I put the direct drive linkages on my falcons about 2 months ago and am fairly satisfied with them. The difference in the dd vs chain/strap is not as noticeable as if you were going from a chain drive to an axis for example. It seems to me that the direct drive linkages add a bit of weight to the pedal which gives you a bit more of the chain feel but with the sensitivity of the direct drive. I also have 9000's and can definitively say that the falcons are a way better deal. I'm not saying it's a better pedal, but at the going rate of the 9000's you would think they would put decent universal joints on the connecting bar. In my case, my 9000's are set up on a practice pad with heavy beaters and 5 weights per beater.